GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Two months long impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-10, 09:50 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Resident
Do you think Michelin will be adequate for NC winter?
We had more snow than normal this winter and the Michelins were great.

All season tires are definitely sufficient here in NC.
Old 03-22-10, 01:01 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I also had them near seat belt assemby. After I looked at opposite side (behind driver above rear window) and noticed black dust over there as well
hope it won't be too bad in the future, really don't know what cause that
Old 03-22-10, 01:01 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by antonio98
We had more snow than normal this winter and the Michelins were great.

All season tires are definitely sufficient here in NC.
My car come with Bridgestone
Old 03-22-10, 07:01 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing
My car come with Bridgestone
I have just came back from the dealership and have noticed that earlier models which hitted the dealer all had Bridgestone tires (all without navigation and premium). All other Base with Nav have Michelin. Maybe it is based on config/timing. My was delivered to port on 3/8 and have Michelins
Old 03-22-10, 10:21 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
I have just came back from the dealership and have noticed that earlier models which hitted the dealer all had Bridgestone tires (all without navigation and premium). All other Base with Nav have Michelin. Maybe it is based on config/timing. My was delivered to port on 3/8 and have Michelins
Mine hit the port 3/1 and has Michelin's, thank god...

Craig
Old 03-22-10, 11:38 AM
ybing
Intermediate

My car hit port 2 weeks ago, premium and with Bridgestone which I prefer better
Old 03-22-10, 12:38 PM
dbacf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! That's what I already did, Windex. Regarding, cargo space, I meant with 3rd row already folded. This morning on car wash, I compared it with ACURA MDX. GX is respectively big truck. But Acura has more space for, let say, kids and beach, camping stuff. Unless you travel only two and fold the second row...

Noise coming from seats, cheap plastic parts that scratch, less cargo room, wow am I glad I did not trade in my Gen1 GX1
Old 03-22-10, 12:48 PM
dgsvt
Driver

I just had the track for a week and have noticed some things:
BAD
1. Agree with earlier post, that plastics are soft and cheap.
2. Passenger and 2nd row seat vibrate over uneven road
3. Hood is made from a thin metal. It vibrates at highway speeds (look at middle section). Wonder if this will have an impact on any thing with paint or hood itself4. Black cheap seatbelts (completely don't fit the interior)
5. Feel light vibrations from engine when accelrating in the gas pedal and steering wheel
GOOD
1. Handling when corneing is great (thanks to KDSS)
2. Navigation a great improvement overr Gen 5 (can anyone tell if there is a way to upload songs to the hard drive and play from it?)
3. Seats are great (also cool and heat very well) - a huge improvement from my 08 GS350
4. Remote start included is very nice
5. 100% build in Japan (hopefully no quality issues we see with American build Toyotas.
BETWEEN
The truck doesn't feel as luxuries as the previous GX470 (Lexus doing cost cutting in visible places like cheap plastics to supposly make it more modern). I like the modern look which is a plus, but Lexus use chrome finish or something. If you take a look at the new 4Runner, the plastic around dash is identical including the color. In quality the new GX460 reminds the 06 4Runner I had (maybe nicer leather). Since the new 4Runner looks really cheap comparing to the previous 4runner inside, we can call the GX460 an nice upgrade.
Are you at all disappointed with the price you paid for the GX460 after noting your observed cost cutting? Or are these cost cutting items not a big deal as some cost cutting is expected in a 60-70K SUV?
Old 03-22-10, 01:38 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had to chime in. Had mine a couple of weeks only but I love it.

I was open minded when I was buying, knowing full well that I could get an 09 for probably 15-20K less. Was actually hoping to like the 2009 better for that reason. Got in the 2010, drove around and was giddy. Went to look at an 09, got in the car, got depressed and got out without ever even turning it on. Literally.

Like I said, I never drove an 09 so can't really compare but I'm thrilled with mine. 2009 just seemed old, outdated and depressing. When I drive my 2010 I feel like I'm pushing a hot knife through room temp butter, smooth smooth smooth. Now I do feel like I have to press the brake more when stopped at a red light to keep from rolling and it's almost like the accelerator and steering wheel are tighter than what I'm used to and the nav is a bit clumsy compared to a Garmin in terms of logical use, but overall it's smooth as butter. I challenge you to find a car people don't complain about.

Just wanted you all to know that even though everyone is stating the concerns, there are plenty of happy people.
Old 03-22-10, 02:20 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After driving mine for 3 days, I find the engine is a bit loud (probably the fan). Other than that, things are very good so far!
Old 03-22-10, 02:24 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by akfd
After driving mine for 3 days, I find the engine is a bit loud (probably the fan). Other than that, things are very good so far!
The 4.6 is a bit louder than the outgoing 4.7....also, the 4.6 has timing chain where the 4.7 was a quieter belt set up
Old 03-22-10, 04:01 PM
jo8923
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dbacf
Noise coming from seats, cheap plastic parts that scratch, less cargo room, wow am I glad I did not trade in my Gen1 GX1
I know your just expressing your opinion and don't get me wrong the gen1 is a great truck, but the gen had many worse faults. Like a pain in the *** to remove third row that is less usable, very outdated dash design that is identical to the prado's, tacked-on looking fenders, very unsafe in side collisions, terrible rollover, overhead dvd that obstruts rear vision, no opening rear window, much less refined exterior overall, much worse body roll, etc. etc.

In comparison the "cheap plastic" isn't too bad if your careful and use mats in the cargo area. Plus it isn't in a too visible location. And the usable power folding third row is to 99% of the population better than a slightly higher cargo capacity and an unusable, hard to remove third row.

I'm sorry but this post came across as very idiotic to me. Again the 470 was a great truck...for 2003's standards. Don't call me biased because i've driven both extensively and own neither. Go sit and drive the gen2 before commenting like this again
Old 03-22-10, 05:30 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dgsvt
Are you at all disappointed with the price you paid for the GX460 after noting your observed cost cutting? Or are these cost cutting items not a big deal as some cost cutting is expected in a 60-70K SUV?
Not a huge deal since I got a nice deal (paid $100 over invoice). Nicely loaded with Nav, cross bars, tow, remote start, convenience package, comfort package for 55k out the door with taxes, etc....

One thing which suprised me and I am dissopointed with is lack of HID lights on Base model. Not a huge problem as I will install a kit shortly, but come on, even $40k MDX has them. Look at MOD thread I have just started. Will provide a DIY shortly. Other mods I have completed already are posted.
Old 03-22-10, 05:39 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a huge deal since I got a nice deal (paid $100 over invoice).
Wow. Nicely done!
Old 04-13-10, 12:44 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

curious to all...? But am I the only one here who thinks the trim and interior seems "cheaper" than the 1st gen GX??!? The 2nd gen IMHO has more plastic on console and the 1st gen had more luxury(ious) wood... Sure the NAV could use a bit of an update, but the console in general looked so plastic...?

Originally Posted by wannaGX
Had to chime in. Had mine a couple of weeks only but I love it.

I was open minded when I was buying, knowing full well that I could get an 09 for probably 15-20K less. Was actually hoping to like the 2009 better for that reason. Got in the 2010, drove around and was giddy. Went to look at an 09, got in the car, got depressed and got out without ever even turning it on. Literally.

Like I said, I never drove an 09 so can't really compare but I'm thrilled with mine. 2009 just seemed old, outdated and depressing. When I drive my 2010 I feel like I'm pushing a hot knife through room temp butter, smooth smooth smooth. Now I do feel like I have to press the brake more when stopped at a red light to keep from rolling and it's almost like the accelerator and steering wheel are tighter than what I'm used to and the nav is a bit clumsy compared to a Garmin in terms of logical use, but overall it's smooth as butter. I challenge you to find a car people don't complain about.

Just wanted you all to know that even though everyone is stating the concerns, there are plenty of happy people.

Quick Reply: Two months long impressions