GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

LED Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-10, 12:27 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Lightbulb LED Turn Signals

I am ready to convert my turn signals to LEDs, but I have noticed that the electronic flasher is much bigger and uses a different plug than previously I have seen on my gs350.

Anyone know where to get an aftermarket one to correct the hyper flashing when changing to LED bulbs for turn signals?
Old 03-14-10, 01:47 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
I am ready to convert my turn signals to LEDs, but I have noticed that the electronic flasher is much bigger and uses a different plug than previously I have seen on my gs350.

Anyone know where to get an aftermarket one to correct the hyper flashing when changing to LED bulbs for turn signals?
U r going to change the one in front or on the side mirror?
Old 03-14-10, 03:28 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

I think the one in the mirror is LED but I may be wrong. I want to replace the one in the front and back. Flasher is the only solution I am thinking off as I don't want cut wires with to install load equalizers.
Old 06-28-10, 07:16 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Flasher

Does anybody know if I can get a louder flasher to replace the stock one ??

I can't hear the darn thing and it is embarrassing to realize the turn signal has been on for miles.

~ Cap
The following users liked this post:
tk8lm6 (09-21-21)
Old 06-28-10, 07:34 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by Capirato
Does anybody know if I can get a louder flasher to replace the stock one ??

I can't hear the darn thing and it is embarrassing to realize the turn signal has been on for miles.

~ Cap
Currently there is no option for you. The noise is made by an electronic flasher. Our model is using a new flasher and there is not after market one yet. I was looking at replacing it as an alternative to installing a load resistor for my LED turn signals.
Old 07-02-10, 02:48 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
Currently there is no option for you. The noise is made by an electronic flasher. Our model is using a new flasher and there is not after market one yet. I was looking at replacing it as an alternative to installing a load resistor for my LED turn signals.
Where is the electronic flasher located?

Is it an easy plug and play if they come out with an aftermarket model that handles LEDs?
Old 07-02-10, 03:43 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by antonio98
Where is the electronic flasher located?

Is it an easy plug and play if they come out with an aftermarket model that handles LEDs?
I have replaced one in GS350 without any problems. Just took few minutes to croll under the steering wheel and find a good way to unplug it. I have not unpluged the one in GX460, but I am sure it is plug system like on other cars.

It is very easy to find. Turn the turn signal on and listen to the clicking noise. When you touch the right component you will feel the clicking too. Like in most cars, it should be accessable from under neat the steering wheel. There is a pannel above pedals which is held by couple screws. Take it off and let the hunt begin.
Old 03-24-17, 02:08 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LED 7440A turn signal bulbs

Just upgraded my front & rear turn signal lights with LED bulbs. The LEDs are hyper-blinking due to requiring resistors. I am hesitant to install them bc the hyper-blinking is cool & distinctive. The LEDs make the lens clearer without the visible amber color and are super bright. Just want to double check if the hyper-blinking mode is against the law or traffic & law enforcement provisions???
Old 03-24-17, 04:23 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Traffic provisions vary by state but there's the possibility of a bored cop pulling you over. If they see the hyper blinking from one angle, they are going to assume one of the corresponding indicators is out, which they can then use to either write you a ticket, or as a reason to pull you over to check for other things (such as whether you're intoxicated when driving late at night).

That may be unlikely, so it probably isn't worth worrying about, but a fast blinking indicator means a dead bulb and so it doesn't really say "cool" and "distinctive" as much as it says "something is wrong with my car".
Old 03-24-17, 05:12 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 820 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by bd5400
Traffic provisions vary by state but there's the possibility of a bored cop pulling you over. If they see the hyper blinking from one angle, they are going to assume one of the corresponding indicators is out, which they can then use to either write you a ticket, or as a reason to pull you over to check for other things (such as whether you're intoxicated when driving late at night).

That may be unlikely, so it probably isn't worth worrying about, but a fast blinking indicator means a dead bulb and so it doesn't really say "cool" and "distinctive" as much as it says "something is wrong with my car".
I agree. I am not sure of the detailed laws in Georgia where we both live, but distracting a driver with lights is a law. I have a customer building a large mobile home that will be pulled behind a Ford truck that has extensive leds and he has told me of this law.
I could see this being an excuse to pull you over, especially at night. Possible example from police: "sir, do you know you could cause a seizure of another driver with your strobe lights"?

I advise Against this. You are asking for trouble. The same can be said for tinted license plate covers. I know of people that have been pulled over for this.
Old 03-24-17, 08:18 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree with the others. Every time I see a kid with a hyper flashing LED bulb, I think either he did not know how to fix it or thinks he's cool. Personally, I think it is annoying to see; plus, the hyper clicking sound it makes in the interior is really irritating, but that's just me.

Last edited by 11GX460; 03-25-17 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Clearer thoughts
Old 03-25-17, 05:23 AM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

The fast blinker is not against the law. A blinker that doesn't work is...which is what many times a fast blinker indicates. This gives an officer probable cause to pull you over. For fast blinkers to be illegal, not only does the law have to indicate how fast a blinder should blink, but the enforcing officer should be able to measure the rate in which a blinker blinks.
Old 03-26-17, 12:35 AM
GX460PREM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay
All of you have a valid perspective.

Have anyone changed out their bulbs to LEDs bc my next question is how many resistors do I need for the LEDs to blink normally - 1 to 4?
Old 03-26-17, 05:31 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Depending on the LED bulb you choose, some bulbs claim to have the resistors built in. I went with VLEDs, which are pricey, but very nice. It required 4 resistors, and I had to modify the rear 2 to make it work.
Old 03-26-17, 06:39 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GX460PREM
Have anyone changed out their bulbs to LEDs bc my next question is how many resistors do I need for the LEDs to blink normally - 1 to 4?
Order 4 as it depends on the resistance of the LED you used. I have not done the GX but on other vehicles I have replaced the original bulbs with LEDs and sometimes you get away with not installing a resistor at all sometimes you need a resistor on all 4.

On Honda vehicles some people claim you don't need a resistor unless you replace both front and rear when using these bulbs:

Amazon Amazon

But the only way to make sure is to replace and try.

Hyper flash, in my opinion, looks unprofessional...

Quick Reply: LED Turn Signals