GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Edmunds Tests GX460!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 10:05 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Edmunds Tests GX460!

There's supposed to be a video but i cant find it

Families on dirt bikes turn to look with some surprise at the 2010 Lexus GX 460 bounding down the trail toward them. Down goes the L-badged nose into a dip, and oh, here it comes back up again as both front wheels catch air over the rise. The GX 460 is shoveling so much dirt, it looks like a new kind of premium-badged bulldozer.

Seriously, who does this to their luxury SUV?

Well, there's us and there's...us. And indeed, the 2010 Lexus GX 460 comes away from the afternoon at California's Hungry Valley with a few nasty scrapes on its chin. But it hasn't developed any rattles; it isn't leaking fluids; and most importantly, we haven't scratched the Knight's Armor Pearl paint, at least not in places you can see.

So the 2010 Lexus GX 460 is kind of tough. Maybe it doesn't need to be as tough as it is, but maybe it doesn't need that kiddie-size, fold-flat third-row seat, either.

All In
It seems almost quaint now to ask this much of any one SUV, but the seven-passenger 2010 Lexus GX 460 is one of just a handful of jack-of-all-trades utility vehicles that are still on the market. You don't buy it to do a specific task. You buy it because it offers solutions to situations you haven't even thought of yet.

Its ruggedness comes from its Toyota 4Runner lineage, as if the GX 460 were the rich, upwardly mobile cousin. The body-on-frame architecture and live-axle suspension needn't scare you, though. Lexus engineers have gone in and refined the GX so comprehensively that you'll probably never notice the truck-style stuff.

For instance, the engineers have fitted a set of very large, adaptive stabilizer bars (the Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System, or KDSS) to the GX as standard equipment. These bars suppress body roll as the GX 460 is rounding corners on public roads, but automatically disengage when you're off road to give your luxury rig maximum suspension travel. The engineers have also specified adaptive dampers for this truck. These aren't strictly necessary for a utility vehicle, but they allow you to dial up a little more control or a little more comfort depending on your mood.

Four-wheel drive with low-range gearing is still necessary on a by-the-book SUV, but the 2010 Lexus GX 460 doesn't trouble you with its complexity. Until you hit the 4-Lo switch or the center differential lock button, the GX is just like any other all-wheel-drive vehicle with a Torsen limited-slip center diff.

Most damning for the GX 460 is the realization that it's not any quicker than a V6 4Runner.
Understandably, a vehicle of so many talents requires a V8. This one is a sophisticated 4.6-liter engine with variable valve timing and lift on both the intake and exhaust side, for 301 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 329 pound-feet of torque at 3,500 rpm. Impressive numbers for sure, but the stout 270-hp V6 from the 4Runner line would also get the job done.

But you never can predict that one day out of a thousand when you'll feel all nostalgic and buy an Airstream trailer. On that day you'll be glad for the V8-equipped GX's 6,500-pound tow rating versus the Toyota's 5,000-pound limit.

My First 4x4
As for us, we're able to resist making a down payment on an oblong silver travel trailer, but not the call of the wild. That's how we've ended up at Hungry Valley SVRA with a tow strap, a high jack and a Clif bar. But the 2010 Lexus GX 460 has enough technology that even the most poorly planned off-road adventure has a good chance of being survivable.

We're not saying it's a good thing not to plan, or not to have a backup plan for your backup plan. But the GX 460's optional Crawl Control program does eliminate the need to think in some situations. It is to off-roading what the Lexus Advanced Parking Guidance system is to parallel parking.

Just look at that hill coming up. It's steep. It's dirt. There are ruts in it. If we lose traction in the middle of it, we just might have to push the Lexus Enform system's Safety Connect button and call for help because there's a drop-off on either side.

So we shift the GX 460 into its low range, engage crawl control, remove feet from brake and gas, and wait. Sure enough, the GX begins to climb at a steady rate, as Crawl Control modulates the SUV's ABS, traction control (A-TRAC) and electronic throttle. We can hear the clatter of solenoids and hydraulic actuators under the hood. All we have to do is steer and adjust the speed via a toggle switch. It works just as magically going back down — Crawl Control is hill descent control that has evolved into adaptive off-road cruise control.

Mind you, the 2010 Lexus GX 460 is friendly even without this fancy aid. The 2.566 reduction ratio in 4-Lo makes it easy to pick your way down trails without overheating the brakes. And the chassis engineers were able to dial in plenty of wheel articulation without resorting to a stomach-turning ride. Steering and throttle are slow to react, as they should be on a real off-roader, but every one of our measured inputs elicits a precise response.

Still, you're not going to scale boulders in a stock GX 460. It only has 8.1 inches of ground clearance to the 4Runner's 9.6. We're dragging the front bumper against the rocks only 5 minutes into our adventure — the consequence of a shallow 28-degree approach angle (versus 33 degrees on the 4Runner Trail). The GX has a height-adjustable suspension, but those air springs are only in the rear. Four-wheel air suspension, like you'll find on the Land Rover LR4, would really help.

Wait, Do I Actually Like Trucks?
Even this moderate level of off-road ability has its price. And by price, we mean that the 2010 Lexus GX 460 feels like a truck even when you're not off-road. It is probably the quietest and most refined truck-based SUV you've ever driven. But it is still a truck.

Such honesty is refreshing. But it also means you can't step out to pass in the GX 460 without a care. Low-end engine torque is not huge, and with more than 5,200 pounds of Lexus trying to punch a hole in the smog layer, the engine is regularly stretching past 4,000 rpm. The V8's pleasant demeanor and smooth shifts from the six-speed automatic transmission make the best of it, but this isn't the most relaxing way to travel.

Our instrumented testing results obscure this issue a bit. The Lexus hits 60 mph in a respectable 7.9 seconds from a standstill (or 7.6 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip) and goes through the quarter-mile in 16.0 seconds at 86.6 mph. For perspective, the heavier (5,700-plus pounds) but more powerful (375 hp) LR4 turned in a 7.5-second 0-60 time and a 15.6-second quarter-mile at 90 mph. More damning for the GX, though, is the realization that it's not any quicker than a V6 4Runner in these tests.

Stopping the 2010 GX 460 takes patience, too. The soft, long-travel brake pedal is calibrated for off-road use where live-wire responses might send you tumbling off a cliff. It takes time, space (127 feet from 60 mph) and effort to bring this much vehicle to a stop, and you'll feel all that weight shifting forward as you do. You also need to hold the pedal down firmly at traffic lights or you'll end up creeping into the crosswalk.

In these litigious times, it's little wonder that Lexus doesn't allow you to disable the GX 460's stability control (in 4-Hi). So there's not much to learn from our tests on the skid pad (0.71g) and in the slalom (57.1 mph). Really, though, with P265/60R18 109H Bridgestone Dueler H/T all-season tires, we're probably not missing much.

Nice Enough for $65K?
Lexus designers haven't quite resolved the competing interests in the GX 460's cabin. The upright dash and seating position attest to the SUV's truck origins. But then you look back at all those rear seats, made necessary by the fact that the GX is the cheapest Lexus model with a third row.

For some of you, then, the 2010 Lexus GX 460 is just the Lexus-brand mommy-and-daddy-mobile. Such emphasis on practicality detracts from the luxury angle. The second-row seats, for example, are flat and hard, as if all they're meant to be is an anchoring place for car seats. When you actually sit on them, they're noticeably less plush than the old GX 470's middle bench. This is what happens when you build seats to tumble forward for maximum cargo capacity.

Similarly, the leather upholstery, Auburn Bubinga wood trim and surrounding vinyls are of solid quality, but the opulence factor is low. It's apparent that cost and durability weighed heavily on design selections, and this isn't what you want to be thinking in a vehicle that costs $20 grand more than the nicest 4Runner.

See You at Costco
Although we pick at the finer points, the 2010 Lexus GX 460 isn't very different from its predecessor. It has a better ride quality and tidier handling than the GX 470, and a more powerful and fuel-efficient drivetrain besides. But it's still a middle-size SUV that tries to balance off-highway and towing capabilities against family considerations. And this isn't an easy balance to strike.

Of course, the likely buyer for the GX hasn't changed, either. The Lexus GX 460 is an image vehicle. You drive it because it's a real truck and looks like a real truck, but isn't too big or over-the-top. It's screwed together right, and even if you don't check the gap tolerances, the L badge tells you it's all OK.

There's room for children and their pets, but you could turn onto the nearest dirt trail anytime, hole up at some remote cabin and maybe never look at your BlackBerry. And that's what keeps you going as you turn into the Costco parking lot.

The manufacturer provided Edmunds this vehicle for the purposes of evaluation.
http://www.insideline.com/lexus/gx-4...and-video.html
Old 03-08-10, 11:23 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The time for body on frame designs are gone. I can't believe Lexus didn't go the unibody route with this....at least they could of put an IRS on this thing. As for the 4.6, it is short on power and weight of the GX slows it town.

For the life of me, I can't believe KIA has the Boreggo which is better performing in HP and TQ, higher tow rating while it also has a IRS. I can't believe that the Boreggo is a better performing SUV

Similarly, the leather upholstery, Auburn Bubinga wood trim and surrounding vinyls are of solid quality, but the opulence factor is low
This review and quote pretty much echos my thoughts on the GX. I would probably go with a limited 4runner over the GX460....to bad we don't get the Prado interior in USA.
Old 03-08-10, 12:27 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
This review and quote pretty much echos my thoughts on the GX. I would probably go with a limited 4runner over the GX460....to bad we don't get the Prado interior in USA.
I was deciding between a 4Runner and GX, but I pick the GX because it had way better interior than the 4Runner; I will go for the trail version of the 4Runner rather than limited if u r planning to go for off road.
Old 03-08-10, 12:39 PM
deekdeek
Driver School Candidate

where is the video on edmunds? cant find.
Old 03-08-10, 01:59 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ybing
I was deciding between a 4Runner and GX, but I pick the GX because it had way better interior than the 4Runner; I will go for the trail version of the 4Runner rather than limited if u r planning to go for off road.
Personally, the interiors between the 4runner and GX are on par IMO. I like the design of the 4runner so much more.
Old 03-08-10, 06:37 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

The time for body on frame designs are gone. I can't believe Lexus didn't go the unibody route with this....at least they could of put an IRS on this thing. As for the 4.6, it is short on power and weight of the GX slows it town.

For the life of me, I can't believe KIA has the Boreggo which is better performing in HP and TQ, higher tow rating while it also has a IRS. I can't believe that the Boreggo is a better performing SUV

SUVs shouldn't be judged for their 0-60 and1/4 mile times, should they?
Old 03-08-10, 07:35 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Personally, the interiors between the 4runner and GX are on par IMO. I like the design of the 4runner so much more.
I like 4Runner's sliding cargo floor, but if it had a 6 speed transmission it will be better... and I believe the 4Runner is also body on frame
Old 03-08-10, 10:05 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
SUVs shouldn't be judged for their 0-60 and1/4 mile times, should they?
Why shouldn't they be?
Old 03-12-10, 05:16 AM
jo8923
Driver School Candidate

Why shouldn't they be?
because that's not why you buy them. For 0-60 times i have my m3, for comfortable family travel, i have my gx. And i challenge you to find a more quiet, smooth, vehicle for 7 that's $55k or less.
Old 03-13-10, 06:29 PM
raysmd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would've bought the GX460 already if it wasn't a barn door. The size of the GX is perfect. I'm now torn between a Highlander and LX570. I know, it's rather extreme. The LX has the normal rear door, but it just too big and screams, "look at me, I waste gas." I would feel like a Hummer buyer. The highlander is not a bad family car, just too small. Can't get another 4Runner, because I already have the 4th Gen.

oh, what to do
Old 03-13-10, 10:51 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by raysmd
I would've bought the GX460 already if it wasn't a barn door. The size of the GX is perfect. I'm now torn between a Highlander and LX570. I know, it's rather extreme. The LX has the normal rear door, but it just too big and screams, "look at me, I waste gas." I would feel like a Hummer buyer. The highlander is not a bad family car, just too small. Can't get another 4Runner, because I already have the 4th Gen.

oh, what to do
If the money is not a issue... of course LX, that is a great car, actually not that much bigger than GX if you are driving it, and it do much better MPG than Hummer that's for sure LOL

I kind of like the barn door design, but if you live in area that parking space is tight, than that will be bad for you~
Old 03-14-10, 04:22 PM
dgsvt
Driver

Can somebody post a survey about which they prefer? (barn door, lift gate) I would, but I don't know how to do it.
Old 03-14-10, 04:47 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dgsvt
Can somebody post a survey about which they prefer? (barn door, lift gate) I would, but I don't know how to do it.
Here you go!!
Old 03-15-10, 02:10 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jo8923
for comfortable family travel, i have my gx. And i challenge you to find a more quiet, smooth, vehicle for 7 that's $55k or less.
A GX460 is probably the worst Toyota/Lexus suv to load and pull and entire family around. Unloaded, the 301hp is just average and when loaded the additional weights taxes the engine even more. Also, there isn't much 3rd seat room back there and the solid axle does not help with comfort.

For the ultimate in 7 passenger comfort is by far the Toyota Sequoia Platinum, it starts at just over 56K and has an IRS, Adaptive Variable Suspension from the previous LX470 and simply hustles with the 5.7 V8...Also worth consideration is the GL class by Mercedes which outshines the GX460 is almost every way IMO...

For what its worth, you can't get Adaptive Variable Suspension on the GX460 for under $55k so I am not sure why $55k is the magic number, it should be more like $57k where you can also get the rear air springs....

But yes, the GX460 is a nice vehicle, but personally I was hoping for a little more, especially when lower end SUV's like the KIA Borrego offer IRS, 340hp from an engine that is the same exact size as the GX 4.6
Old 03-15-10, 02:56 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The new GX interior is pretty nice! The new 4Runner is great in it's own respect, but it's definitely not Lexus grade. I'm not a fan of the annoying amber backlighting on the dash...just like with the Tacoma and lower than Limited grade Tundras.

Wait a minute, "we" in the USA? Aren't you in Oakville, ON, Canada? Lexus Canada gets a few more features we in the USA don't.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Tests GX460!