GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Edmunds Tests GX460!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 04:18 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
This review and quote pretty much echos my thoughts on the GX. I would probably go with a limited 4runner over the GX460....to bad we don't get the Prado interior in USA.
The Prado interior? You're kidding right? The GX interior is easily better than the Prado's interior.

Have you even sat in or driven a Prado before? The new Prado interior is not that dramatically different than the previous-gen Prado interior, and the 1st-gen GX shares it's interior with the previous-gen Prado.

This 2nd-gen GX interior is a big step up from the Prado.
Old 03-15-10, 11:33 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A GX460 is probably the worst Toyota/Lexus suv to load and pull and entire family around. Unloaded, the 301hp is just average and when loaded the additional weights taxes the engine even more. Also, there isn't much 3rd seat room back there and the solid axle does not help with comfort.

For the ultimate in 7 passenger comfort is by far the Toyota Sequoia Platinum, it starts at just over 56K and has an IRS, Adaptive Variable Suspension from the previous LX470 and simply hustles with the 5.7 V8...Also worth consideration is the GL class by Mercedes which outshines the GX460 is almost every way IMO...

For what its worth, you can't get Adaptive Variable Suspension on the GX460 for under $55k so I am not sure why $55k is the magic number, it should be more like $57k where you can also get the rear air springs....

But yes, the GX460 is a nice vehicle, but personally I was hoping for a little more, especially when lower end SUV's like the KIA Borrego offer IRS, 340hp from an engine that is the same exact size as the GX 4.6
Coz the GX is not a 7 passenger SUV, it is a 5 passenger SUV that have 2 more seat for temporary short trip, that is what you should class the GX, I you can find a SUV this size that have a comfort 3rd row for full adult please let me know~
Old 03-15-10, 02:17 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ybing
Coz the GX is not a 7 passenger SUV,
I think Lexus classifies it as a 7 seat SUV?
Old 03-15-10, 06:35 PM
ybing
Intermediate

I think Lexus classifies it as a 7 seat SUV?
Well they did, like every other brand that have 7 seats they will class as 7 seat SUV, but compare from the size of the car, those seats are not really that bad.
And maybe these kind of car should classify as 5+2 SUV LOL~
Old 03-15-10, 06:37 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Why shouldn't they be?
Why you want to focus on a 1/4 mile time on a 2 tons car? you won't take it to race anyways...
Old 03-15-10, 07:07 PM
dgsvt
Driver

A GX460 is probably the worst Toyota/Lexus suv to load and pull and entire family around. Unloaded, the 301hp is just average and when loaded the additional weights taxes the engine even more. Also, there isn't much 3rd seat room back there and the solid axle does not help with comfort.

For the ultimate in 7 passenger comfort is by far the Toyota Sequoia Platinum, it starts at just over 56K and has an IRS, Adaptive Variable Suspension from the previous LX470 and simply hustles with the 5.7 V8...Also worth consideration is the GL class by Mercedes which outshines the GX460 is almost every way IMO...

For what its worth, you can't get Adaptive Variable Suspension on the GX460 for under $55k so I am not sure why $55k is the magic number, it should be more like $57k where you can also get the rear air springs....

But yes, the GX460 is a nice vehicle, but personally I was hoping for a little more, especially when lower end SUV's like the KIA Borrego offer IRS, 340hp from an engine that is the same exact size as the GX 4.6
I agree with your disappointments in the new GX as I was hoping for more also. This is mostly due to the price of the truck with respect of the weak/avg engine and the swing gate. I could overlook some shortcomings if the price hadn't skyrocked 10-15K over the previous generation. Gen1 loaded 55K Gen 2 loaded 70K. For 70K, I can get a Sequoia Platinum for 60K and have 10K for gas. The sequoia also has a liftgate and the 5.7 engine. The 57K GX460 only gets you the base premium... It's more like 63K for the variable suspension and air springs in the rear, once you add the nav and ML stereo. Why didn't they make a GX460 and GX570? It makes more sense to me to have an engine difference than just suspension differences for 6K between the reg and premium.
Old 03-16-10, 12:05 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dgsvt
I agree with your disappointments in the new GX as I was hoping for more also. This is mostly due to the price of the truck with respect of the weak/avg engine and the swing gate. I could overlook some shortcomings if the price hadn't skyrocked 10-15K over the previous generation. Gen1 loaded 55K Gen 2 loaded 70K. For 70K, I can get a Sequoia Platinum for 60K and have 10K for gas. The sequoia also has a liftgate and the 5.7 engine. The 57K GX460 only gets you the base premium... It's more like 63K for the variable suspension and air springs in the rear, once you add the nav and ML stereo. Why didn't they make a GX460 and GX570? It makes more sense to me to have an engine difference than just suspension differences for 6K between the reg and premium.
I don't get why every one always focus on wanting bigger engine, the whole point is how the power is provided from the engine, and from this engine I feel that was enough for the car, more power mean more gas, and if they put a 5.7 in the GX than the price will go up again, then everyone will complain more.
If you want a 5.7 liter engine get the LX, if you think interior is not a big deal, ya, Sequoia will be much better deal, bigger, more room, but not the same class of vehicle. 4.6 liter is to fit in the gap between the RX and LX, if put the 5.7 on GX and make all the change on the door, than there will be no point of making the LX, it will possibly only have the LX for the market
What you need to compare the GX to is 4Runner, that is what the car base on, and Tundra engine, compare to those, but not a bigger class vehicle.
Price going up had been a tradition on every motor brand, every new model is more expensive, that is how this world was.
Old 03-16-10, 12:08 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

^^

Exactly. IMHO, it seems some people complaining about the GX, what they really want is an LX for a GX price, and that just isn't going to happen.
Old 03-16-10, 12:59 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

if they put a 5.7 in the GX than the price will go up again.
Not true at all. Toyota Tundras come with both the 4.6 and 5.7...in almost every configuration and increase of about $500-$1000 is the norm if you go with the 5.7

Price going up had been a tradition on every motor brand, every new model is more expensive, that is how this world was.
Toyota didn't increase the price on either the 4runner or the Sienna. And I don't think the Prius got a bump nor did the 2011 Avalon
Old 03-16-10, 01:04 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dgsvt
I agree with your disappointments in the new GX as I was hoping for more also. This is mostly due to the price of the truck with respect of the weak/avg engine and the swing gate. I could overlook some shortcomings if the price hadn't skyrocked 10-15K over the previous generation. Gen1 loaded 55K Gen 2 loaded 70K.
To me, the new GX460 is no better than the previous GX470. The towing capacity is a mediocre 6500lbs, 301 hp is poor, interior is cramp and why no IRS.....What bugs me most is that the KIA Borrego has more HP, more towing capacity, more 3rd row seat comfort and yes an lift up rear hatch...

For 70K, I can get a Sequoia Platinum for 60K and have 10K for gas. The sequoia also has a liftgate and the 5.7 engine. The 57K GX460 only gets you the base premium....
Yes I agree with you 100% and this is what is so unfortunate about the GX. I also believe that the Toyota 4runner Limited is a much better value and design, especially the interior.

Why didn't they make a GX460 and GX570? It makes more sense to me to have an engine difference than just suspension differences for 6K between the reg and premium
Yes I agree, they could of had a de-tuned 5.7 engine in the 340-360hp range.
Old 03-16-10, 01:05 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
^^

Exactly. IMHO, it seems some people complaining about the GX, what they really want is an LX for a GX price, and that just isn't going to happen.
No, not at all. I would like some type of upgrade over the previous gen GX. The GX460 is no better than the vehicle it replaces. Its on par and that does not cut it IMO
Old 03-16-10, 01:42 AM
ybing
Intermediate

To me, the new GX460 is no better than the previous GX470. The towing capacity is a mediocre 6500lbs, 301 hp is poor, interior is cramp and why no IRS.....What bugs me most is that the KIA Borrego has more HP, more towing capacity, more 3rd row seat comfort and yes an lift up rear hatch....
I was wondering how many people will actually tow 6500 lbs stuff so often? If you are, than you should get a truck not SUV, I believe 6500 is enough for most of the people
For the Borrego... the engine actually produce more HP than Torque, that is the last thing you want to have on a SUV, and I think it also think that is classify as a bigger class SUV
I never try a KIA before so I can only compare things on the paper, but as all my friends own a KIA joke about KIA = Kill in Action... so that makes me not consider that, for 40K, I would go for the 4Runner
I don't think the 30 HP will make much different on performance, I think that I can grantee will be Toyota engine will perform better than KIA
Old 03-16-10, 01:43 AM
ybing
Intermediate

No, not at all. I would like some type of upgrade over the previous gen GX. The GX460 is no better than the vehicle it replaces. Its on par and that does not cut it IMO
What kind of upgrade you will like to have then?
Old 03-16-10, 01:50 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Not true at all. Toyota Tundras come with both the 4.6 and 5.7...in almost every configuration and increase of about $500-$1000 is the norm if you go with the 5.7
If they make a 5.7 than it will become same performance as LX, they will never do that, many feature that not on GX is because they don't want to make it looks like LX.
Old 03-16-10, 02:13 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

What kind of upgrade you will like to have then?
I would of liked to see a 7500-7700lb tow capacity, 340+ hp, IRS set up in the rear. I can easily live with the rear barn door.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Tests GX460!