GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

options vs standard

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 10:08 PM
stl2chi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default options vs standard

I visited the dealer last week to attend the official launch of the GX460...

Several features on the old model are now optional... Not sure I understand why other than pricing.

For example:
Mark Levinson Stereo - optional in 2010... standard with navi before
Adjustable variable suspension - only on premium in 2010 - standard before

My conclusion
- if your old truck was loaded (msrp approx 50-58k) but now you want the new truck with all of the old features plus some of the more appealing new features you are in a completely different pricing zone (msrp 65-70k). This is a touch sell to the masses. Glad my truck is still mint...

Anyone have similar impressions? Or am just in desperate need of a vacation?
Old 02-02-10, 12:15 AM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in Canada the base version, called the Premium version, has ML audio as standard equipment. In order to get AVS it costs $9000CAD more since it's part of another trim called Ultra Premium version, which includes ALL the bells and whistles. I would like to get the AVS as well, but I seriously don't want to pay so much more just to get that plus other stuff that I will never use (i.e., DVD system, front/side cameras, crawl control, multi-terrain selector, etc.)
Old 02-02-10, 01:24 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by stl2chi

Several features on the old model are now optional... Not sure I understand why other than pricing.

For example:

My conclusion
- if your old truck was loaded (msrp approx 50-58k) but now you want the new truck with all of the old features plus some of the more appealing new features you are in a completely different pricing zone (msrp 65-70k). This is a touch sell to the masses. Glad my truck is still mint...

They're packaged the way they are to keep the overall cost low. The GX's are being packaged in that sense as these are the most popular option combinations people have requested, or the demand that dealers have seen.

New cars are costing more and more nowadays. Inflation sucks, but it happens when new features and safety equipment are becoming available as standard options.
Old 02-02-10, 02:06 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

If there is enough demand, AVS could be added as a stand-alone option in the future. I don't see why you can't get a nicely loaded GX Premium for around 60K though. For 70K it would be loaded with every single option, many of which were never available on the 1GX and options that you might not want.

Conversely, some features that were optional on the 1GX are now standard on the 2GX, most notably KDSS which was very rare to find on the 1GX.
Old 02-02-10, 04:43 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Dollar is weak

In Feb 2010 $1 = 90.5 Yen
In Feb 2008 $1 = 120 Yen

25% less value for $ = price increase.
Old 02-03-10, 04:55 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stl2chi

For example:

My conclusion

I noticed the exact same thing and was not happy - I was expecting about a $5000 increase for the new model but to get the same thing I had before is now 12-15 more - that is insane! I am rethinking my next vehicle, with this economy it does not make sense...
Old 02-03-10, 05:00 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know how the marketing geniuses at toyota can justify these price increases ?? Many people in this economy will look elsewhere.
Old 02-03-10, 07:00 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tromly
I don't know how the marketing geniuses at toyota can justify these price increases ?? Many people in this economy will look elsewhere.
Possibly with extra features, KDSS standard, a totally different interior compared to the Prado?

I don't know why people are so surprised and critical of the GX price increase without considering the factors involved in the price increase.

Lexus moved the new GX slightly upmarket, and gave it more standard features, thus the price increase.

So far, not that many have looked elsewhere. January GX sales were up huge.
Old 02-03-10, 10:55 AM
dgsvt
Driver

I'm not sure if moving the GX slightly upmarket is true... I think the GX460 is as expensive or more than it's competitors and that wasn't the case with the GX470. The GX470 was priced well below it's competitors. The Lexus offered more at a lower price and that created value. It used to be the best vehicle at the best price (by 5K - 10K), but now... Hmmm... It looks like they want to price at the top of the market and offer lower quality (plastics), lower power (301hp), poorly designed (swing gate). Like I've said in other posts, "This just doesn't look like a 65-70K SUV!!!" So, all I get is 300hp with a swing gate for 70K? Why not just get the LX570? Was this the secret plan to increase the LX570 sales? I was expecting a price increase, but I think 12K - 15K is a little nuts (GX470 loaded vs. GX460 loaded). I know the Dollar/Yen ratio probably has something to do with this. If it is the dollar/yen ratio at work, will there be a price cut if the yen weakens against the dollar. I doubt it. What about the Toyota recalls? Have any of the other buyers thought about that during their purchase decision. I know that there aren't any accelerator pedal recalls on any Lexus line, but could that change. I believe the CHP officer that crashed and died along with his family due to uncontrolled acceleration was driving a Lexus ES350 not a Toyota Camry. I know that I bought Lexus vehicles because I thought they were the best all around vehicle with a reputation for Safety and Reliability, at the BEST Value. This was true of all Toyota vehicles/brands. I'm not sure if Toyota is hungry anymore. Did they get lazy on their way to the top? It seems like they are forgetting what got them to the top... SAFETY, RELIABILITY, PRICE (bang for the buck)... It looks like they are having some trouble with the safety and pricing aspects of some models. I sure hope they learn from these mistakes.
Old 02-03-10, 01:22 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by dgsvt
I'm not sure if moving the GX slightly upmarket is true... I think the GX460 is as expensive or more than it's competitors and that wasn't the case with the GX470. The GX470 was priced well below it's competitors. The Lexus offered more at a lower price and that created value. It used to be the best vehicle at the best price (by 5K - 10K), but now... Hmmm... It looks like they want to price at the top of the market and offer lower quality (plastics), lower power (301hp), poorly designed (swing gate). Like I've said in other posts, "This just doesn't look like a 65-70K SUV!!!" So, all I get is 300hp with a swing gate for 70K? Why not just get the LX570? Was this the secret plan to increase the LX570 sales? I was expecting a price increase, but I think 12K - 15K is a little nuts (GX470 loaded vs. GX460 loaded). I know the Dollar/Yen ratio probably has something to do with this. If it is the dollar/yen ratio at work, will there be a price cut if the yen weakens against the dollar. I doubt it. What about the Toyota recalls? Have any of the other buyers thought about that during their purchase decision. I know that there aren't any accelerator pedal recalls on any Lexus line, but could that change. I believe the CHP officer that crashed and died along with his family due to uncontrolled acceleration was driving a Lexus ES350 not a Toyota Camry. I know that I bought Lexus vehicles because I thought they were the best all around vehicle with a reputation for Safety and Reliability, at the BEST Value. This was true of all Toyota vehicles/brands. I'm not sure if Toyota is hungry anymore. Did they get lazy on their way to the top? It seems like they are forgetting what got them to the top... SAFETY, RELIABILITY, PRICE (bang for the buck)... It looks like they are having some trouble with the safety and pricing aspects of some models. I sure hope they learn from these mistakes.
No reason to bash it, don't buy it...

Craig
Old 02-03-10, 01:40 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first I thought the GX460 was indeed bad compared to the GX470, since a lot of people on this forum are saying the old one was better and cheaper price-wise. I haven't tried the GX470, but to me the new GX is very good; maybe a bit expensive but sometimes you can't solely use money to justify a price for something you like. If you don't like something, even if it was given to you for free you that wouldn't really change your perspective (well, most of the time at least ). The philosophy to buying something is quite simple: if you like it, and you can afford the price, then by all means go for it; if you don't like it, then don't buy it. That's why there are tons of products to choose from on the market; everyone's got different choices.
Old 02-03-10, 06:20 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Very good points.

In these financial times we need companines giving us more or the same, for less or very little increase in cost. Good job on gauging the times Toyota!
Old 02-04-10, 12:52 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

It sounds like you've already made up your mind on the GX460 and you probably would criticize it even if it was 5-10K cheaper.
Old 02-04-10, 04:50 AM
dgsvt
Driver

If it was 10K cheaper I would have probably overlooked the 301hp and the swing gate and bought the one that I had pre-ordered before the specs were released and pricing set. I think the interior on the GX460 is great and the exterior is growing on me, but the price... I think that's why I keep posting. I can't believe the price for these shortcomings. I wouldn't be complaining and would probably pay close to 70K for a GX570 with a liftgate....

Reguarding the swing gate... I never thought about the spare tire being attached to the Prado. I agree that a swing/split gate is required if the spare is mounted to the back. This makes a lot of sense. Can one imagine trying to lift the spare 7ft in the air? No... This then makes me think... Does the GX460 in any country / market have the spare mounted to the tailgate? If not, then was it just a cost cutting measure to not redesign the rear door?

Last edited by dgsvt; 02-04-10 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-04-10, 10:42 AM
kelv2888
Driver

If it was 10K cheaper I would have probably overlooked the 301hp and the swing gate and bought the one that I had pre-ordered before the specs were released and pricing set. I think the interior on the GX460 is great and the exterior is growing on me, but the price... I think that's why I keep posting. I can't believe the price for these shortcomings. I wouldn't be complaining and would probably pay close to 70K for a GX570 with a liftgate....

Reguarding the swing gate... I never thought about the spare tire being attached to the Prado. I agree that a swing/split gate is required if the spare is mounted to the back. This makes a lot of sense. Can one imagine trying to lift the spare 7ft in the air? No... This then makes me think... Does the GX460 in any country / market have the spare mounted to the tailgate? If not, then was it just a cost cutting measure to not redesign the rear door?
I respectfully disagree,
I am coming out of a 2007 yukon denali with a lift gate and 400 hp to the 2010 gx460 and my experiences with the car has been nothing short of amazement and utter complete satisfaction . The lexus does not feel underpowered at the least bit to me. I bought the Denali brand new and it had a extra hundred horses. The swing gate is not a 100 percent failure and undesirable trait to everyone. I like it because my head doesnt bang on it being 6'3 and my wife doesnt have to hop up to close the gate on the lex. The whole vehicle completely feels like another class of vehicle in terms of construction,silence in the interior,engine etc, even though my Denali cost me 58k at the time. Overall, in my opinion, I love my Lex gx 460 and Im so glad I bought it.100 percent satisfied!!

Quick Reply: options vs standard