GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Why the side-swinging rear door?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 07:46 AM
Lou19
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear door was the one obvious improvement Lexus missed.

The 2010 is a bust - with cargo space reduced, an ugly front end, and the barn door killed it for me.

As for tall people hitting their heads, you think the Japanese really care about that??
Old 02-02-10, 07:52 AM
kelv2888
Driver

Originally Posted by dgsvt
I'm not sure why they put a swing door on the prado either... As I said in another post, I can't think of one good reason for the swing door.
So short people dont have to hop up to reach and close it?
Old 02-02-10, 08:51 AM
dgsvt
Driver

Originally Posted by kelv2888
So short people dont have to hop up to reach and close it?
They don't have to "hop up to reach and close it" in the RX or LX... All they have to do is push a button on the remote and it power closes door on it's own. I'm sure that there are more people who find the swing door to be more problemsome than a liftgate / splitgate. I've read that it possibly has something to do with the trucks center of gravity. I guess that Toyota was able to figure out something for the 4Runner that they couldn't with the GX. Again, my guess is that Lexus didn't want to spend the money to redesign the rear hatch. If they did, they would have made it a liftgate / splitgate or atleast flip the door to open on the other side. I don't think people visualize how the door opens when parking on the street. With the door open you can't move between the back of the truck and the sidewalk. The door has to be opened after walking past it into the street and then closed before walking back to the sidewalk. If the door is open it completely blocks the space between the back of the truck and the vehicle behind it.
Old 02-02-10, 11:40 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The GX460 has an piston arrangement that allows the swinging door to hold in whatever position it is opened to. That's a lot better than the two position stop on my truck, which doesn't always hold in place.

Fortunately, I live where 99% of the parking is done in parking lots so the swing door is a non issue for loading/unloading. That said, it was still a disappointment to see a lift gate wasn't designed into the new GX.
Old 02-02-10, 03:40 PM
jo8923
Driver School Candidate

I tried asking the lexus "live chat" guy about the side-swinging rear door, and the representative just gave a BS answer "It's just a feature of the vehicle" and said nothing more...
Old 02-02-10, 10:36 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lou19
The rear door was the one obvious improvement Lexus missed.

The 2010 is a bust - with cargo space reduced, an ugly front end, and the barn door killed it for me.

As for tall people hitting their heads, you think the Japanese really care about that??
Do you think the GX is designed specifically for the Japanese? It's not even sold in Japan!

The GX is a world vehicle, and yes Toyota always looks at the little details, so I'm sure that part of the reason for the swing door is easier for tall/short people to use it, and not just for cost-cutting reasons.
Old 02-03-10, 02:29 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Do you think the GX is designed specifically for the Japanese? It's not even sold in Japan!

The GX is a world vehicle, and yes Toyota always looks at the little details, so I'm sure that part of the reason for the swing door is easier for tall/short people to use it, and not just for cost-cutting reasons.
You must be kidding, how tall or short do you need to be in order to push a button. A lot of mini-vans driven by soccer moms have power lift gates, is there a height requirement to use this feature?
Old 02-03-10, 03:34 PM
jo8923
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by malmon
You must be kidding, how tall or short do you need to be in order to push a button. A lot of mini-vans driven by soccer moms have power lift gates, is there a height requirement to use this feature?
I'm starting to believe its to lower the center of gravity.

A power lift gate is a lot of weight up high, and the gx is already bad in rollover likelihood.
Old 02-03-10, 04:17 PM
dgsvt
Driver

If it has to do with the center of gravity then fine, but why not switch the swing door to the other side in the US market?
Old 02-03-10, 05:47 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jo8923
I'm starting to believe its to lower the center of gravity.

A power lift gate is a lot of weight up high, and the gx is already bad in rollover likelihood.
I doubt that is the reason, the 4runner uses lift gates. Its not like Lexus is charting new territory, a lot of SUV's come with power lift gates.
Old 02-03-10, 07:34 PM
jo8923
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dgsvt
If it has to do with the center of gravity then fine, but why not switch the swing door to the other side in the US market?
That's probably just lexus being lazy. There's no remotely decent explanation for this.

Originally Posted by malmon
I doubt that is the reason, the 4runner uses lift gates. Its not like Lexus is charting new territory, a lot of SUV's come with power lift gates.
But the 4runner is shorter/lower than the GX, as are many other SUV's. Of the SUV's that are the GX's height and are body-on-frame, many are wider.
Old 02-03-10, 10:53 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by antonio98
Some models of the 2010 Prado still offer the spare tire mounted on the rear door.
I think we've got a winner here. I can't imagine you'd be able to hang a spare tire on a lift-gate. The barn-door is the best way to support it.

So, it's a byproduct of the Prado having the optional rear-mounted spare, IMHO.
Old 02-05-10, 11:27 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

They stayed with the swing door hinged on the passenger side because I told them I prefered it. I think my exact words were "Don't change that feature and make me come over there and break a foot off in yo a$$ Toyota."
The following users liked this post:
RA032023 (04-23-19)
Old 02-05-10, 11:34 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
I think we've got a winner here. I can't imagine you'd be able to hang a spare tire on a lift-gate. The barn-door is the best way to support it.

So, it's a byproduct of the Prado having the optional rear-mounted spare, IMHO.
I bet there's a Prado Users Forum thread out there somwhere complaining about why Toyota can't put the spare tire under the vehicle instead of hanging it off the rear door. "They can put the spare under the car on the GX, why not on the Prado!?"
Old 02-05-10, 05:05 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
I bet there's a Prado Users Forum thread out there somwhere complaining about why Toyota can't put the spare tire under the vehicle instead of hanging it off the rear door. "They can put the spare under the car on the GX, why not on the Prado!?"
The Prado is also available with the spare tire under the car.

Quick Reply: Why the side-swinging rear door?