GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010 land rover sport or gx 460

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 05:07 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 land rover sport or gx 460

All having a hard time making up my mind; need advice.

When the GX 460 came out I test drove it (fully loaded), and did not like it. A few weeks later, I drove an 08 GX 470 and GX 460 (NAV/ML) back-to-back, and ended up favoring the GX 460. After discussing with my fiance we decided to place a Knight's Armor/Ecru fully loaded on hold with deposit.

For giggles I decided to check out Land Rover. The Range Rover and for that matter LX 570 are too much SUV for us. The LR4 is nice, but too boxy for my taste. The LR2...forgetaboutit! The Range Rover Sport; wow! It's not on the same plain as the Range Rover, but it's more than capable. It doesn't have as many electronics as the Range Rover and that is a good thing.

If you do not know, the interiors of the Range Rovers have been revamped. The interiors are 2nd to none.

I ended up taking a base Nara Bronze for a test drive. It was the best ride that I have ever experienced in an SUV. The exterior of the Range Rover Sport is a thing of beauty.

As I was touring the shop floor I happened to get into a conversation with a Land Rover mechanic. He did not have good things to say about the electrical system and the brakes. He mentioned that because of the high friction pads that sometimes the rotors would get this sort of glaze on them. I know what he was talking about, because when I was younger I had a 5 series BMW that had high performance brakes with drilled rotors. They were nightmarish to say the least.

The conversation with the Land Rover mechanic gave me pause, but I still proceeded to place a Stornoway Grey/Ebony/Lunar Alcantara Range Rover Sport HSE/w LUX extended leather/camera/rear differential on special order. I've been dreaming of that vehicle for weeks now. It will be shipped and ready for pick-up in April.

Now I get back from traveling and my Lexus salesman wants me to come in. If feel like I need to give the reliable Lexus one more look. I went in and had my current vehicle appraised; check. I went back and sat down with my salesman, who had by this time received back my appraisal. He told me how much the dealer wanted to give me for my trade-in and I almost slapped him (not really, because I expected a low-ball offer). The offer was rediculously low, but he said that he would talk to his GM to see if the could do me justice on the GX (fully loaded). He came back with a great deal on the GX.

Then without much promting, the GM gave me near private party cost on my trade-in and another $1000.00 off of the new fully loaded GX. ...well I showed him my order for the above Range Rover Sport with extended leather, etc. Now the problem:

The GX is cheap. Not cheap in price, but cheap in feel and use of materials. There is a load of tech, tv screens, laser guided cruise control, power lowering third row, etc., etc., but when I get inside of it, I cannot help to think how cheap it looks and feels. It looks like an upscale 4Runner.

The price that I can get a fully loaded GX 460 is now very tempting, but I don't think that it is worth the price that I am paying. The Range Rover Sport seems like an even better deal, because of the use of quality products all around and the functionality of the gear associated camera's dual view navigation 480 watts, handling for a 5400lb vehicle, etc.

The Lexus dealer wants to know what I want to do... Should I do the $$$ thing and buy the tech in the Lexus, even though I think the material is cheap or do I buy the panache of Land Rover and roll the dice on reliability later on down the road. No vehicle is totally reliable (meaning nothing ever breaks). My IS has not been an angel, but if something broke or I was bothered by something Lexus tried to remedy the issue.

Is there anyone that has a similar story? What are your thoughts Land Rover or Lexus SUV?
Old 01-30-10, 07:57 PM
nycmba
Driver School Candidate

I live in NYC/NJ area. I had Same problem with you However I did not like interior of RangeRover Sport because qulity of woodtrim was kind of rent grade. also lots of my friend just recomanded me not to deal with Land Rover because of reliablity issue with brand and RR sports. however if you are going to lease RR sports about 3 years or company car, I would recomand RR sport. but if you buy for yourself, buy mb gl or lexus gx. I did not like interior of GX 460 at the first time. but when I test drove white exterior with ivory interior. interior looked from expensive yacht. I alsp had the bmw 530 2005 so that I know about handing little. I think gx hanlde better than RR sports. I tested drive the same hard corner. I picked up my gx 460 white color with ivory today.
Old 02-02-10, 02:14 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

If you got a really good deal on an RR Sport and it costs the same as the GX, that's pretty awesome.

Personally, I'm not sure how you can compare an RR Sport to a GX as they are different vehicles meant for different demographics. The RR Sport is also in a different price range than the GX (here in North America).

I'm not sure what the GX and RR Sport cost in your area locally.

If you are not keeping the vehicle long-term and don't go off-road, then get the RR Sport.

If you are keeping the vehicle for a long time and travel off-road, then the GX is the one to get.
Old 02-02-10, 02:52 AM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
If you got a really good deal on an RR Sport and it costs the same as the GX, that's pretty awesome.

Personally, I'm not sure how you can compare an RR Sport to a GX as they are different vehicles meant for different demographics. The RR Sport is also in a different price range than the GX (here in North America).

I'm not sure what the GX and RR Sport cost in your area locally.

If you are not keeping the vehicle long-term and don't go off-road, then get the RR Sport.

If you are keeping the vehicle for a long time and travel off-road, then the GX is the one to get.
Thank you for the advice.

A fully optioned GX costs 69,999 msrp, the RR Sport w/LUX, cameras (5), rear differential, and extended leather, which I will have to custom order costs 66,595 msrp. Fully optioned out (tv's, sat rad, etc.) the RR Sport will be at or more than the GX, but not much I believe.

How much do they cost in your area?

It was tough, but I ended up passing on the deal for the GX in order to get the RR Sport; wish me luck!
Old 02-02-10, 03:21 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Well here in Canada the GX starts at 68K and fully optioned goes up to 78K.

The RR Sport over here starts at 73K and fully optioned goes up to 84K, excluding the Supercharged model and Autobiography limited edition.

In the US, GX starts at roughly 52K and fully optioned is roughly 65K MSRP.

The RR Sport in the US starts at 60K and goes up to 72K fully optioned, excluding the Supercharged model.
Old 02-03-10, 07:36 PM
jo8923
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chi-town
Thank you for the advice.

A fully optioned GX costs 69,999 msrp, the RR Sport w/LUX, cameras (5), rear differential, and extended leather, which I will have to custom order costs 66,595 msrp. Fully optioned out (tv's, sat rad, etc.) the RR Sport will be at or more than the GX, but not much I believe.

How much do they cost in your area?

It was tough, but I ended up passing on the deal for the GX in order to get the RR Sport; wish me luck!
Good luck! Hope the maintenance doesn't kick you in the ***!
Old 02-03-10, 11:42 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jo8923
Good luck! Hope the maintenance doesn't kick you in the ***!
Thanks! ^^^

All cars need maintenance; some more than others (ahem). Heck, even the ironclad Toyotas are experiening recall headaches right now. That is why I tend to get vehicles with less electronics/bells and whistles. Didn't do that this time round, because the Land Rover Sport comes standard or packaged together with them. Also, couldn't help myself with the (5) camera gizmo (it's going to make for exciting exercises in parking)!

My biggest fear is after warranty, but that is the same with me no matter the vehicle, hence the reason that I am considering the extended warranty.

I tend to keep vehicles around 3 to 4 years, so it would not be a wise choice for me unless the Land Rover turns out to be better than expected. In that case I will see about opting prior to the warranty expiring like I did this time around with Lexus.

Last edited by Chi-town; 02-03-10 at 11:50 PM. Reason: To redefine meaning of Toyotas recall situation.