GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

My 2010 GX interior review

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10, 09:38 AM
LexFather

The GX is a significant 2 inches lower than the last model. A lot of people complained the last GX looked to tall.

Old 01-24-10, 11:33 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The new GX seems to be about the same height as the last gen GX. It is inside where it does not feel the same, the seating position seems like a more laid back approach where in the past the seating position felt more upright.

The 4Runner never had issue with its height, the 4runner was about 3-4 inches shorter and had a unique suspension that helped keep the body flat when cornering.
To be fair, the 2010 4Runner Limited is the unique one with X-REAS (video).

The differences between the 2010 GX 460 and 2009 GX 470 is that

1. Overall vehicle width is 0.2” wider
2. Height is 2.9”lower on premium grade and 2.5” lower on base grade
3. Length is 1” longer

Code:
Exterior Dimensions and Capacities
Wheelbase, in (mm) 109.8 (2790)
Overall Length, in . (mm) 189.2 (4805)
Overall Width (in / mm) 74.2 / 1885
Height –Unloaded, in. (mm) - base
Premium
72.1 (1830)
71.7 (1820)
Tread Width, Front & Rear: , in. (mm) 62.4 (1585)
Min. Ground Clearance, in. (mm) - base
Premium
8.07 (205)
8.3 (210.8)
Approach Angle 28°
Departure Angle (underfloor spare tire) 26°
Breakover angle 21°
Min. Ground Clearance, in (mm) 8.07 (205)
Turning Circle – curb to curb (ft.) 38.0
Curb Weight, lbs.(kg) - Base
Premium
5305 (2,326 )
5,340 (2,349)
GVWR, lbs. (kg) 6,600 ( 2,990)
Max. Payload (lbs. / kg) - base
Premium
1,959 (664)
1,260 (641)
Towing capacity, lbs. (kg) 6,500 ( 2948.4)
Old 01-24-10, 12:39 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
I wonder why could that be?
Old 01-24-10, 12:59 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sat in a GX460 at the Memphis auto show last night. I didn't care for it either. The dash was too upright and in my face. It felt utilitarian. If it was an inexpensive work vehicle then that layout would have been fine but I would want something a little more relaxed for a 50-60k dollar luxury SUV. I also sat in the new 2010 4runner and decided I preferred the interior of our 2005 4runner by far in most regards. The 2010 4runner looks like the FJ cruiser team got to design some aspects of it and it just looks a lot more like a toy than before... strangely enough the GX460 inherited a lot of these 'toy' aspects as well. It looks more like a quirky off road vehicle than a luxury SUV that happens to be off road savvy.

I decided I much preferred the interior of the new RX350 to the GX... though I haven't driven either one so I can't comment there.

I also sat in the all new Caddy SRX and was pretty impressed.
Old 01-24-10, 01:22 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lex
I wonder why could that be?
air suspension system I think
Old 01-24-10, 01:28 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
To be fair, the 2010 4Runner Limited is the unique one with X-REAS (video).

The differences between the 2010 GX 460 and 2009 GX 470 is that

1. Overall vehicle width is 0.2” wider
3. Length is 1” longer

Code:
Exterior Dimensions and Capacities
Wheelbase, in (mm) 109.8 (2790)
Overall Length, in . (mm) 189.2 (4805)
Overall Width (in / mm) 74.2 / 1885
Height –Unloaded, in. (mm) - base
Premium
72.1 (1830)
71.7 (1820)
Tread Width, Front & Rear: , in. (mm) 62.4 (1585)
Min. Ground Clearance, in. (mm) - base
Premium
8.07 (205)
8.3 (210.8)
Approach Angle 28°
Departure Angle (underfloor spare tire) 26°
Breakover angle 21°
Min. Ground Clearance, in (mm) 8.07 (205)
Turning Circle – curb to curb (ft.) 38.0
Curb Weight, lbs.(kg) - Base
Premium
5305 (2,326 )
5,340 (2,349)
GVWR, lbs. (kg) 6,600 ( 2,990)
Max. Payload (lbs. / kg) - base
Premium
1,959 (664)
1,260 (641)
Towing capacity, lbs. (kg) 6,500 ( 2948.4)
Just curious where you got these numbers? Lexus.com reports 74.2" for the GX460...the old 470 was 74.6"
Old 01-24-10, 01:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Just curious where you got these numbers? Lexus.com reports 74.2" for the GX460...the old 470 was 74.6"
These are numbers provided in the GX Press Kit provided by Lexus College during the press event a few months ago in San Diego. I'm going to guess the numbers are off as they were measurements taken off of pre-production GX's.
Old 01-25-10, 06:43 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I check out the new GX a week ago, I also owned a 05 GX470 so I wanted to see what the changes were. Overall, I like the new GX460, what I did not like was the $64000 sticker price. I paid $45000 for my 05 GX. Thats quite a step up in price, a $5000 a year increase. A quick look around the new GX certainly does not justify the hugh price increase. The interior is almost Range Rover like, I had no problem with the plastic panels as most manufacturers are going with harder plastic for enviomental and off gas reason I believe. The leather and wood is as good as the last gen which is excellent. Overall, the new GX looks bigger and like pagemaster said, the interior did not seem bigger. The standard KDSS suspension should make the new GX handle much better as the last gen GX was terrible in handling. I prefer the old front end design of the GX, but the new rear end design doesnt make the new GX look overly tall like the old one. I think Lexus should have kept the plastic cladding on the side and gotton rid of the barn door in the rear. For $65000, there are a few other SUV I would rather buy.
Old 01-25-10, 01:16 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So based on what you think is some cheap leather on doors and other tidbits it is a step back? Huh? The vehicle I was in was 58k with options. . This destroys it in off road ability, features and refinement.

This vehicle is adored worldwide as the LC Prado, Lexus/Toyota cannot stray to far from the formula that works EVERYWHERE just to please 14,000 Americans.

Was your GX base or premium? What options packages did it have? What was the price?

Why are you asking for IRS on a tough off-roader? There is a reason the floor is high, it is a true 4x4. If you want a low floor, that is what the RX is for.
So I gave the GX460 a second look today. I was at Toyota picking up a part for my Tundra.

The GX460 I looked at was black with Sepia interior. The interior kind of looked dark brown. MSRP is Canada is $77,500. When you finish with the green tax, taxes, freight you are looking at close to $90,000...a Lexus Canada prices their Lexus models a little higher than the US models after the exchange rate is all said and done.

More than ever, it appears to me that this GX should of gone with the iDrive controller. There is just so many buttons and so much going on the console and the console is so close to the driver. It would of been perfect...but maybe as an option?

All the 4wd stuff and suspension controls would be better integrated with the nav...we all know very few North American's off road these Lexus models.

An Infiniti QX starts around 55k
The QX competes with the Sequoia. It doesn't really compete with the LX570 as the prices are completely different.

Infiniti has no alternative to the GX. The LR4, M class, GL class all compete. This is why I believe that Lexus should offer IRS.

I will say what feels/looks different is the aluminized plastic. That said it is "different" if you have owned Lexus for years and see it today.

I had no issues with the plastic on the lower doors? Why? B/C I don't notice lower doors when I drive I agree, the plastic felt "cheap" but I'd rather cheap lower door panels than cheap seat leather. Lexus is not immune to cutting costs, they have to or they will not be competitive. Was it cost cutting? I assume so. Deal breaker? Far from it. What color was your GX inside and out?
Still to much hard plastic and cheaply tacked on simulated (or real) leather. Literally looks like it was glued on.

Also, I looked at the premium semi-aniline leather, I could see blue behind the leather. Looked like foam....never noticed this in any other Lexus.

As for the wood. It was lovely. Also, I don't mind the aluminized plastic.
Old 01-25-10, 01:21 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

More than ever, it appears to me that this GX should of gone with the iDrive controller. There is just so many buttons and so much going on the console and the console is so close to the driver. It would of been perfect...but maybe as an option?
I think you mean the mouse pad control device like the new RX right? I agree, the new GX should have untilize that system instead of the touch screen, but the new GX doesnt have half as amny button as the MDX. To me, the old GX had a lot of button as well, about the same as the new one. Maybe its the additional steering wheel buttons you are refering to.
Old 01-25-10, 01:31 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
To me, the old GX had a lot of button as well, about the same as the new one. Maybe its the additional steering wheel buttons you are refering to.
No the old GX was different. The dash was away from you and much more room up front.

If they kept it the old way I would of had no problem without the controller. The new one just seems tigher and sit more laid back.
Old 01-26-10, 02:09 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The old GX dash could have been lifted from an LS. What a shame it's been canned.
Old 01-26-10, 10:44 AM
dbacf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Threxx
I sat in a GX460 at the Memphis auto show last night. I didn't care for it either. The dash was too upright and in my face. It felt utilitarian. If it was an inexpensive work vehicle then that layout would have been fine but I would want something a little more relaxed for a 50-60k dollar luxury SUV. I also sat in the new 2010 4runner and decided I preferred the interior of our 2005 4runner by far in most regards. The 2010 4runner looks like the FJ cruiser team got to design some aspects of it and it just looks a lot more like a toy than before... strangely enough the GX460 inherited a lot of these 'toy' aspects as well. It looks more like a quirky off road vehicle than a luxury SUV that happens to be off road savvy.

I decided I much preferred the interior of the new RX350 to the GX... though I haven't driven either one so I can't comment there.

I also sat in the all new Caddy SRX and was pretty impressed.

I stopped by the dealer today and noticed they had 2 non "premium" trucks both listed around 58K.

The one thing that really bothered me is that the body side molding is not included with the standard model. I guess you need to live with door dings if you can't afford the premium model.

All in all I thought the base model looked very good.
Old 01-26-10, 11:43 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rebuttal to Isicklex

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The GX is a significant 2 inches lower than the last model. A lot of people complained the last GX looked to tall.
Hey ISick,

Since you defended the new GX460 so well, I'm assuming you are a fan of the new truck? I've owned my GX470 since 2005 and I love the looks inside and out. When I saw the Exterior and Interior of the new GX460, I thought EXACTLY the same way the OP did...

They cheapened the GX line... Too much plastic, looks like an AMERICAN truck console, Lincoln Navigator, not enough leather cramped and YES, most important they RAISED the FLOOR of the truck for the back seat...

1. As a GX owner, YES I expect the truck floor to be higher but that's not what the OP and I are talking about. For the 3rd ROW seats, the floor is raised to ALL the seats to be folded into the floor. By doing this the interior space has been reduced when compared to the the original GX.

2. The RX is not an option because I wanted a truck and not a car, and I'm not one of original people who complained that the truck was too tall...

Honestly, everytime I brought my truck into the Lexus for the scheduled maintenance, the Lexus dealer alway provided me a loaner car (RX) to drive. I cheerfully accepted the RX as a loaner vehicle, but I could NOT wait until I got back into my GX. The RX was always "cheaper" looking with a lot of plastic dashboard, and was "pushed" toward the driver, giving the driver a "CRAMPED" feeling, the GX always felt ROOMY... With the NEW 2010 GX, it reminded me so much of an RX with the plastic dash and cramped feeling that I couldn't wait to climb back into my 2005 GX.

I would have much preferred to have a TRUE folding seat option without have to "RAISE" the floor of the rear "trunk" compartment like the Mercedes GL or at least be like the OLD GX so that the seats are completely removed...

The new GX has a lot of technology going for it, Dolby Digital, Power Folding Mirrors (Finally!), heating and cooling seats, etc... but they just chose to cram this poorly redesigned interior ala RX...
Old 01-27-10, 08:48 AM
kelv2888
Driver

Originally Posted by dbacf
I stopped by the dealer today and noticed they had 2 non "premium" trucks both listed around 58K.

The one thing that really bothered me is that the body side molding is not included with the standard model. I guess you need to live with door dings if you can't afford the premium model.

All in all I thought the base model looked very good.
Does anyone know if its a possibility to order the side moldings seperatly and add them to a base model?

Quick Reply: My 2010 GX interior review