GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Black Onyx

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-10, 08:11 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Black Onyx

So this is probably the 133rd thread to discuss this, but I haven't seen anything recent, so here we go...

Is the Black Onyx paint currently offered on all Lexus SUVs clearcoated? I remember reading at one point that Black Onyx was single-stage paint, and that Obsidian is clearcoated, but the story no longer appears to be as simple.

I read somewhere that starting in 2003 or so, Black Onyx became clearcoated. Also, the owner of a 2006 or 2007 Black Onyx RX400h reported here that Lexus responded to him that it did have a clearcoat. However, I keep hearing mixed things from various sources, including Lexus people, and I am wondering if anyone here has more specific information.

Interestingly, on a side note, we closed the deal on a 2010 LX570 to replace our GX this past week. Even though the black that is offered is Black Onyx according to the website, the official January Lexus production sheet for the east coast lists Obsidian. What gives!?
Old 01-16-10, 09:29 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
Interestingly, on a side note, we closed the deal on a 2010 LX570 to replace our GX this past week. Even though the black that is offered is Black Onyx according to the website, the official January Lexus production sheet for the east coast lists Obsidian. What gives!?
I have a 2006 GX with black onyx exterior, and I see this same color is now offered on the 2010 GX460.

Have you ever compared the obsidian on your GS to the black onyx on the GX? I don't know the difference.

It seems the 2010 RX is offered in obsidian according to the Lexus web site.
Old 01-16-10, 09:00 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Black Onyx and Obsidian look the same to me. Obsidian is just a bad name.
Old 01-16-10, 11:20 PM
LexFather

I know the color codes are different, Black Onyx is 202 and the "old" black used.
Here is a good site with all the color codes based on years.
http://www.toyotareference.com/lexusgx#GX03

Old but this Lexus PDF from 96 shows no clear coat (page 5)
http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/tsb/LexusLX450/lpa00296.pdf

According to this detailer, 202 does not have a clearcoat (IS 250 so its a newer Lexus). If you read on the first page he shows a method to tell if the paint has a clearcoat or not.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...pc-7424xp.html

A 2003 thread with (at the time) the 9 Lexus types of paint. 202 again shows no clearcoat

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...teresting.html

Now it does seem the LS 460 has a clearcoat....I am assuming b/c it is the flagship. So we need to find out if the LX is the same since it is the SUV flagship. (just focus on the LS there, that thread is confusing otherwise lol)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...gle-stage.html

Hope this helps!!

Last edited by LexFather; 01-16-10 at 11:25 PM.

Old 01-17-10, 08:53 AM
caha14
Racer

Thank you 1SICKLEX for the info and everyone else for the comments. The thing that still puzzles me is that Lexus has been using Obsidian on the sedans, including the LS, and that unquestionably has a clear coat.

The SUVs, even the new ones, still have Black Onyx, and the most I've been able to find at this point is a *recommendation* from Lexus to body shops that Black Onyx be refinished with a clear coat for maximum durability, but no confirmation that there is a clear coat from the factory. And as usual, dealers are all over the place on this one.
Old 01-17-10, 08:57 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by caha14
Thank you 1SICKLEX for the info and everyone else for the comments. The thing that still puzzles me is that Lexus has been using Obsidian on the sedans, including the LS, and that unquestionably has a clear coat.

The SUVs, even the new ones, still have Black Onyx, and the most I've been able to find at this point is a *recommendation* from Lexus to body shops that Black Onyx be refinished with a clear coat for maximum durability, but no confirmation that there is a clear coat from the factory. And as usual, dealers are all over the place on this one.
You are welcome. When Monday arrives I am going to make a couple calls. I am curious too since I have an 01 and 07 202 and here I am polishing/waxing etc without knowing the facts.

I need to go back to buying the pearl white cars.

Old 01-17-10, 09:10 AM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You are welcome. When Monday arrives I am going to make a couple calls. I am curious too since I have an 01 and 07 202 and here I am polishing/waxing etc without knowing the facts.

LOL, that's the thing, I haven't detailed a non-clearcoated car in about 15 years, and the thought of there being black paint on my polishing cloths after I'm done is not very appealing. I mean, just the whole idea that any color is rubbing off a brand new car when you are using no abrasive polishes feels wrong!

As I mentioned in the original post, the production sheet said Obsidian instead of Black Onyx, but I don't recall if it said 202 (and thus Obsidian was just a typo) or indeed 212. I've seen other instances like this with Lexus official materials, where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, so I don't know what to make of it.

Given that the website still says Black Onyx, at this point I am searching for a black LX on eBay to see if I can find a picture of the label with the actual paint code on the door jamb.
Old 01-20-10, 02:50 PM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

So, in addition to the information in the links posted by 1SICKLEX, I have the following (recent) results for Black Onyx:
Clearcoat, Source-Vehicle
  1. Yes, Salesperson-LX570
  2. No, Service department-all black Lexus cars (we know Obsidian has a clearcoat though)
  3. Yes, Lexus Cust Svc-RX400h via email to CL member
  4. No, Lexus Cust Svc-LX570 to me via phone, 5 minutes ago
Confused? I sure as heck am!

I should have tested the paint on the black LX they had in the showroom the other day. It is now gone.

When you detail your 202 vehicles, 1SICKLEX, do you get black on your polishing cloths? I hope not!

This month, they are only making black, white and silver LXs. Silver is off our list, so that leaves black and white. Black looks, by far, the sharpest IMO, but this clearcoat thing is bugging me. Currently, black is #1 and white is #2 on our list with the dealership.

Should I allow the clearcoat issue to be a dealbreaker? I'm wondering if I should get a shrink to discuss this...

Last edited by caha14; 01-20-10 at 03:03 PM.