2010 gx

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-10, 10:56 AM
thedon3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 gx

Hi Gang,
I visited my Lexus dealer today and looked saw the new 2010 GX. All I can say is wow. I like it all. Lot's of bells/whistles on the show room model. I have had 04 & 07 GX in the past, but I miss that road feel. I traded in my 07GX for a RX-400h in April 08-(17MPG to 29MPG), but, I miss the GX. So, that means toward the end of the year, when and hopefully discounts are applied to the GX I will get one.
Again, very nice SUV.
Thanks
Old 01-15-10, 12:03 PM
Hockey16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my wife one for christmas and we have put 2000 miles on it and fully loaded and a great car and a great ride.......Glad Lexus told me to get the new GX as was getting a 09 but said to go with the new one and big difference...............
Old 01-15-10, 01:10 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockey16
Bought my wife one for christmas and we have put 2000 miles on it and fully loaded and a great car and a great ride.......Glad Lexus told me to get the new GX as was getting a 09 but said to go with the new one and big difference...............
What kind of fuel mileage are you getting?

Just curious,

Craig
Old 01-15-10, 03:56 PM
LexFather

I have a feeling its one of those vehicles that will grow on people in person and in driving it. Saw my first commercial today, pretty clever!

Old 01-15-10, 05:12 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
What kind of fuel mileage are you getting?

Just curious,

Craig
I took one for an extended test drive last weekend and got 17 mpg in mixed use.

I'm not the most efficient driver, but I think the 17 to 18 combined mpg should be accurate.

The "ECO" display on the dash also helps. It let's you know when you're getting a little heavy footed.
Old 01-16-10, 10:15 AM
Craig B

Originally Posted by antonio98
I took one for an extended test drive last weekend and got 17 mpg in mixed use.

I'm not the most efficient driver, but I think the 17 to 18 combined mpg should be accurate.

The "ECO" display on the dash also helps. It let's you know when you're getting a little heavy footed.
Thanks, not great. My X5 diesel gets about 20 MPG city, 25-27 highway @80MPH...

Craig
Old 01-16-10, 12:45 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned the X5 before, the extra mpg are not worth the other headaches.

Last edited by antonio98; 01-16-10 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-16-10, 01:26 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by antonio98
I've owned the X5 before, the extra mpg are not worth the other headaches.
I agree, that's why I want to get out of my BMW into the Lexus. I have an LS 460. This will be my 6th Lexus...

Craig
Old 01-16-10, 11:57 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have a feeling its one of those vehicles that will grow on people in person and in driving it. Saw my first commercial today, pretty clever!
I have a feeling you are right about this.

I have seen the GX460 in person and it does look much better than the pics....that being said, it does take a somewhat dramatic departure from the outgoing GX470 IMO....it feels more tight inside (especially the front seats) and more 4runner like in that the GX470 was more upright where the GX460 seems lower to the ground.

Also, the rear seats have something going on in that the floor is really high....the rear lights and reverse lights are kind of odd....

Lastly, why can't Lexus put a lift up hatch on the rear....almost every other automaker can do it, why can't Lexus...

Overall the GX460 kind of looks like and outcast next to the RX and LX at the Lexus Canada.
Old 01-17-10, 05:44 PM
xswl0931
Driver School Candidate

I test drove the GX460 and the LX570 yesterday. I was excited about the new GX, but now that I've driven both back to back, I've crossed the GX off my list and considering either the LX or LC. The barn door is an issue (I suspect the reluctance to have a lift gate as it would steal sales from the LX) and the raised 3rd row really limits the cargo space. Sitting the in the 3rd row, it felt that the GX had a bit more room the the 3rd row of the LX, however, driving the LX, the power difference was immediately noticeable as was the better quality, comfort, and roominess of the interior. I made an offer of $2k over invoice for the LX and they wouldn't take it, so I'll just wait.
Old 01-18-10, 01:32 AM
davahad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xswl0931
I test drove the GX460 and the LX570 yesterday. I was excited about the new GX, but now that I've driven both back to back, I've crossed the GX off my list and considering either the LX or LC. The barn door is an issue (I suspect the reluctance to have a lift gate as it would steal sales from the LX) and the raised 3rd row really limits the cargo space. Sitting the in the 3rd row, it felt that the GX had a bit more room the the 3rd row of the LX, however, driving the LX, the power difference was immediately noticeable as was the better quality, comfort, and roominess of the interior. I made an offer of $2k over invoice for the LX and they wouldn't take it, so I'll just wait.
On comfort, how did the front seats compare on LX vs. GX?
Old 01-18-10, 06:26 AM
dgsvt
Driver

I read all the time about the dissappointment that the bard door is still around. "Why can't Lexus make a lift gate?" Then I read that some people like the bard door better than a lift gate. "Lexus considers the GX a world vehicle and people in other countries like the barn door" I wonder how many Lexus plans to sell outside the USA vs. the 14,000 that they hope to sell here. Someone should put up a poll about who likes the barn door and who doesn't and whether or not it will be the deciding factor in not buying this SUV. I think that 90% don't like the barn door and that 50% of likely customers will buy something else due to the barn door. I don't know any other SUV in this size or price range that has a rear swing door. Hmm... Maybe that's why they kept it.

I was at the dealership yesterday and they had a demo sitting outside unlocked. So I hopped in... (Black interior) I was impressed with the interior in pictures and I liked it even more in person. Had the wife with me and she liked it just as much as I did, but didn't know the price increase.

Wife "What!!! Did you see the window sticker?"
Me "No, but it's pretty loaded"
Wife "67,900!!!"
Me "Yeah, I think it's loaded"
Wife "I like it, but..."
Me "But what?"
Wife "Sorry, it is nice, but it just doesn't look like a 70K car. Wow... I wasn't expecting that price... If you want to spend that kind of money, have you though about an LX instead?"

Last edited by dgsvt; 01-18-10 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-18-10, 08:18 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dgsvt
Wife "Sorry, it is nice, but it just doesn't look like a 70K car. Wow... I wasn't expecting that price... If you want to spend that kind of money, have you though about an LX instead?"
Yep, exactly right... Lexus did just about the only thing they could do to make us consider (and actually pull the trigger on) an LX. The price increase on the GX is too much, and the vehicle, as nice as it is, just does not look it.
Old 01-18-10, 09:06 AM
xswl0931
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davahad
On comfort, how did the front seats compare on LX vs. GX?
I didn't spend enough time to compare, but I seem to recall that the LX front seats were better but the GX seats were quite good. The difference wasn't as apparent as the power delivery, for example.
Old 01-18-10, 09:12 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dgsvt
I read all the time about the dissappointment that the bard door is still around. "Why can't Lexus make a lift gate?" Then I read that some people like the bard door better than a lift gate. "Lexus considers the GX a world vehicle and people in other countries like the barn door" I wonder how many Lexus plans to sell outside the USA vs. the 14,000 that they hope to sell here. Someone should put up a poll about who likes the barn door and who doesn't and whether or not it will be the deciding factor in not buying this SUV. I think that 90% don't like the barn door and that 50% of likely customers will buy something else due to the barn door. I don't know any other SUV in this size or price range that has a rear swing door. Hmm... Maybe that's why they kept it.
"
You are so on the money with it being a true international vehicle The GX/Land Cruiser Prado is one of the most trusted and loved 4x4s worldwide. As you stated it is not just about us and they probably sell more worldwide than the 14k here.

Having recently visited Jamaica it was amazing to see all the Land Cruiser Prado's there. People simply love them.

Also to me the GX being the middle SUV has the barn-door to be a selling point as the RX/LX are not barn-doors. Some people DO like it.

Quick Reply: 2010 gx