GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010 GX or 2008 Landcruiser

Old 12-26-09, 07:14 PM
CWK
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2010 GX or 2008 Landcruiser

I currently have a 2007 GX 470 with KDSS and Head Rest DVD along with all other options on a GX. Like the car but want something new. 54k miles and ready for a change. Also have a 2004 SC430 that I like and a 4runner to haul the kids around in and not worry about wear and tear.

First off I am trying to keep the budget around double nickel. With that I am having trouble find a LC that is used. Like the unassuming nature and luxury it provides. The GX is going to be a winner but there are just so many on the road and the same will hold true for the new body style. Also the cargo space seems tight with the 3rd row step as well as the reports being mixed. The LC has a boring body but inside it is very nice and the capabilites along with perfect size I like. The only thing I dislike on the LC is the lack of supply on the used market and the *****ty wood trim inside. I was shocked when I grabbed the wheel. Mark Levinson and real wood will be missed.

For 55k in a Lexus or Toyota what would you buy. The price point is not a budget issue just a mental line in the sand on what I think is sensible. I will not be financing so the Sequoia offers don't really interest me and the vehicle seems so mainstream.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 01-02-10, 08:36 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am in a similar situation. I love the 06/07 Land Cruisers and have always wanted one. But, I also like the idea of buying brand new and am quite fond of the new GX460. I figure I can get an 07 Land Cruiser with less than 40k miles for around $45-49k or spend about $60k for a brand new GX460 Premium. Its a tough choice for me as I like them both. I suppose my wife will be the ultimate decision maker here.
Old 01-02-10, 09:55 PM
CWK
Rookie

Thanks for the response. It is a tough call. I would consider the old body style landcruiser but the child restraint system is mounted to one side and not equally spaced apart. My 3 yrd old would be wacking little sister too much. Also the new body has so much power and a very nice interior layout. Wood grain sucks but that is it for the LC. If the LC had Mark Levinson and the Lexus wood trim it would be the perfect rig. The LX is just a bit too much for me.

I looked at the GX460 today and when the next shipment comes in I am going to price out the rig with premium package. If they negotiate I very well will purchase one. The honest truth to the situation is that I would rather have an 08 LC but there are 0 in a 300 mile radius and the last one that did come to this area sold for a non negotiable 59k. Sorry but a 2 yr old LC is not worth 59k in my book. There are 0 NEW LC's and 0 2009 leftovers. So much for a recession or is Toyota just not building enough of them. So the ball is sort of in the hands of Lexus. If they deal I am ready to make the move. The new GX is nice but it just is not a home run SUV. Feels a little small and is very pricey. The car went into a price point it does not belong. I will not pay MSRP for that car. I paid $1600 over on my GX with KDSS and feel like at this stage $2k over invoice is a solid deal on a GX460. I really wish there were more LC's but I am not going to wait for the next one to come and watch the dealer sit on full retail knowing they have the only unit in the PNW. The GX460 is hard to explain. I like it but I don't love it. My true love is the LC and there are none around. With a trade in I can't jump on ebay and drive across the country. I am going to be patient and see how things play out. These are the 2 cars I like and will end up with one of them.
Old 01-03-10, 10:07 AM
xswl0931
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at the total number of LC and LX sold in 2009 (up to Nov http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/d...ales_Chart.pdf), there isn't enough to create a used market if the owners aren't selling them.
Old 01-03-10, 10:14 AM
CWK
Rookie

Thanks for finding that. I looked for that type of sales doc and could not find. I figured they sold 5k units per year. That looks even worse. My biggest suprise, even more so than there not being any on the used market, is that the dealerships don't have any New LC's. Lexus is planning on selling like for 14k units of the GX a year and at this price point it is within 10k of the LC. I think toyota should be stocking some dealerships with LC's because they are going to be in more demand.
Old 01-03-10, 12:16 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually, it looks like there are lots of '08 LX570s for sale...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1262549521603
Old 01-03-10, 04:53 PM
xswl0931
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your search returned 51, that's an average of 1 per state (although obviously not the case). Not sure if I'd call that "lots". The closest one to you is 400 miles away. The same search for the 08 GX470 returned 171 listings. The same search for the 08 Range Rover returned 244 listings...
Old 01-03-10, 05:47 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Slice it however you like, but there's clearly some used LX570's to create a used market...
Old 01-03-10, 10:22 PM
CWK
Rookie

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Slice it however you like, but there's clearly some used LX570's to create a used market...

I understand it would be much easier to get into a LX. I also understand that most people at this price point of the LC go to the LX and that is why Toyota does not build many. My position is that I like the understated capabilities and looks of the LC along with the pricepoint of an 08. The LX is above the price point I would like to be at in the newer style and I also think it says "look at me" a little much for my taste.
Old 01-05-10, 06:03 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you prefer the Lexus service experience or the Toyota one?

Last edited by Mdkellys; 01-05-10 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-05-10, 07:05 PM
CWK
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mdkellys
Would you prefer the Lexus service experience or the Toyota one?
Since I would still have the SC430 I was planning on doing my oil changes at my current Lexus dealer. I am sure they would be more than happy with that. I would also check to see if they could perform warrantly work. Having a loaner is not a major issue since I have 3 cars currently. Love my 2004 4Runner with the V8. Good rig and have owned is since new. I hope to do the same long term ownership with the GX or LC. I saw a LX yesterday and the size is just perfect IMO. Time will tell.
Old 01-07-10, 09:13 PM
CWK
Rookie

Toyoat dealer called me today and told me that they just purchased a 2009 with less than 5k miles at auction. Said that it would not last long and I should make a deposit. I asked how much they wanted before I came in.
$72k. No Thanks.

So after seeing two local dealers jack the prices on these auction rigs coming out of the regional auction I decided to pick up the phone and call a Toyota dealer up North an hour, whom I bought a new 04' 4Runner from. Got the desk guy on the phone and told him I was frustrated with the lack of local inventory and felt the dealers on the Eastside were jacking the prices up based on weak supply. He told me they don't order or buy them based on the market they serve of blue collar folks.

He then said that they would be more than happy to negotiate a deal with me on a LC and go to auction and buy it for me if we could come to terms. Pay them a $2k fee and have written criteria for condition and options of an 08' LC. He shared some prices at recent weeks auction and these dealers are gouging people. Reducing there risk and paying a set fee makes more sense to me at this point. I am seriously considering doing this.

Nobody seems to be too excited about the GX and I while I like the new GX I am concerned about the size and huge price increase. I don't even know if I would pull the trigger on a new GX at $1k over invoice right now.
Old 01-07-10, 09:23 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck either way. The Land Cruiser is an excellent vehicle. So what color combinations will you be looking for?
Old 01-07-10, 10:40 PM
CWK
Rookie

Exterior color of Classic Silver, White, or the Dark Grey.
Old 01-20-10, 09:40 PM
CWK
Rookie

Trade the 07' GX470 in on a 08' Landcruiser over the holiday. I found the vehicle in Reno at a Lexus dealer that was traded in on a LX and GX both brand new. Negotiated a price over the phone and made the long drive to take delivery and trade mine. After a very long drive and some choice words with the dealer I am now home with my Beast. Everything went without much issue other than the interior carpet having a few spots that were not disclosed. After driving all night I was not too excited about seeing any suprises. After some conversation with the GM regarding the condition of the carpet and how it was presented to me they stepped up and took another grand off the price of the vehicle. That should cover me having the spot removed soon. Overall the car is in great condition. God aweful long drive in the winter from Seattle Washington. With kids and job I did the drive non-stop there and back. 9pm Sunday night to 2am Mondaypm/Tuesdayam. Old man joined me and we took shifts. Plenty of snow driving in both vehicles.

After 800 miles in the GX down and 800 miles in the LC home I have made a few initial observations. First off the things I will miss on the Lexus. The wood finish on the steering wheel and the shift ****. The Mark Levinson sound system. Vehicle Altimiter in the dash display. Thats about it. The LC is just a beast. The size is just perfect on the Landcruiser. Ergonomics are perfect and it has so many nice features I can't list them all. The car just feels like it could go 200k on just oil changes. The rig is white and I need to tint the windows a bit and have the inside carpet cleaned. The last owner also put Fuzion tires on the vehicle prior to trading in and those need to be sold and replaced with some higher quality shoes. I am looking forward to making these tweaks and giving the car a little TLC. Then it will be like new and good to go.

I was checking out the GX460 while I was taking delivery and the GX looks very nice but for me the price jump and size were the big factors in why I went to the LC. I also wanted a more unique vehicle that sets itelf apart from the crowd.

There sure seems to be limited supply of the LC on the new or used market. A local dealer here had a 09' he bought at a auction for full retail msrp. With that being the case and the last 08' selling for high used retail as well the choice was easy to get in the car and drive to Cali/ Nevada where they are buying them and do the work myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 GX or 2008 Landcruiser