Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

PR: 2010 Lexus GX460 - Specs, Info, Pics & Video

Old 11-23-09, 07:20 AM   #16
AlexusAnja
Trader Score: (0)

Unlike the RX, I don't think this will look any better up close. That front bumper, bottom, just look so strange. Why not either straight across black, or body color. That whole "sad face" things makes the vehicle look really sad...

No power liftgate, flip up glass to compensate for not having liftgate, BIG negative for me. I'm off to Acura to look at the MDX. I guess Lexus just lost me by not having 3rd row on RX and then poorly re-imagining this GX.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

N:Quebec E:Boston W:Chicago S: Orlando
AlexusAnja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 07:23 AM   #17
dgsvt
Driver

I'm confused as to why the toyota 4.6 gets 310 hp @ 5600 and 327 tq @ 3400 with regular gasoline, but the Lexus only gets 301 hp @ 5500 and 329 tq @ 3500 on premium. I don't mind the premium gasoline rating, but thought that it helps to get more out of the engine tuning and therefore better numbers. I know it is better by 2 tq and torque is what really matters in an SUV anyway. Maybe the non peak numbers are better all across the curve with premium at the expense of a higher peak hp figure. I was just expecting atleast 310 maybe more. No big deal I guess... Am I the only one who was holding out hope for the 5.7 to be an option?
dgsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 07:38 AM   #18
JessePS

yishai_ettebe jesteraver

Minor comparison

GX470
Width = 74.0"
Length = 188.2"
Height = 74.6 "
Wheelbase = 109.8 "

GX460
Width = 74.2 "
Length = 189.2 "
Height = 72.6 " (standard w/side-rails - 73.8 " (premium w/antenna)
Wheelbase =109.8 "
JessePS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 08:00 AM   #19
kyang91
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)

I think the interior is very nice......but I am not feeling the exterior......looks like the front is smashed.......
kyang91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 08:27 AM   #20
AlexusAnja

Some things I've noticed also with the design. Why is there no across the board "standard" of what to apply to the vehicle. The RX has the center armrest in the 2nd row with wood trim, yet this is just plain plastic.

The grille is yet ANOTHER design encapsulated in the trapezoid shaped grille.

The exterior mirror buttons should be on the armrest as you should adjust them without moving from your normal driving position. If you have to lean forward to adjust the mirrors, then it's going to take more trys to get it right.

Ahhh... just me.

N:Quebec E:Boston W:Chicago S: Orlando
AlexusAnja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 10:19 AM   #21
alecksk
Driver School Candidate

I like all the new features/options they are making available with this model but I definitely dislike what they've done in terms of visual design... The ugly and "heavy"-looking front exterior, the dashboard with too much silver plastic and weird angular shapes (the angles that the top portion of dashboard creates around the front middle vents) Oh well, I'm sure there will still be plenty of willing buyers.
alecksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 10:37 AM   #22
rainmn
Driver

I actually kind of like the exterior, and think it will grow on me even more as I start to see them on the road. The color in those pictures is about my least favorite, so that isn't helping.

As for the interior, the functionality seems to be much improved, however I'm still not sold on the looks there.
rainmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 10:40 AM   #23
antonio98
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexusAnja View Post
Some things I've noticed also with the design. Why is there no across the board "standard" of what to apply to the vehicle. The RX has the center armrest in the 2nd row with wood trim, yet this is just plain plastic.
Yes, it does seem strange that they would downgrade any features on this car vs. the RX, especially considering the new 9% price hike.

It will be interesting to see how they price the options.
antonio98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 10:42 AM   #24
akfd
Pole Position

I think in Canada it's going to cost more than 10% than the previous version, which makes it a bit overpriced IMHO. But I have to wait till January 2010 to see one in the showroom, at least that's what my local dealer told me.
akfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 11:14 AM   #25
mann777

Firstly thanks for the heads up on the detailed specs, some are quite interesting. Interesting the new GX has got very few marked differences from the previous model. The exterior is total sham in terms of design wow factor which initially the GX captured

Granted, a luxury vehicle ought to be totally free of flaws and annoyances, but the new GX460 design is flawed and just a cosmetic makeover when compared to the earlier version . But a few salient attributes will make it it embraceable nevertheless.
I am sure GX owners would want to know the 5 How factors (
How much / How powerful / How fancy is it worth / How big in terms of people and Cargo space available / How thirsty.

Hoping it does not dissappoint.
For me the new model is not going to be my cup of tea, I rather choose the 570 over this one.
Motivation determines what you do...
Attitude determines how well you do it.
mann777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 11:26 AM   #26
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Pretty dull redesign IMO. The interior looks like a Lincoln to me and the exterior is just a complete mistake. The headlights and tail lights look poorly done.

Last edited by pagemaster; 11-23-09 at 11:39 AM..
pagemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 11:28 AM   #27
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgsvt View Post
I'm confused as to why the toyota 4.6 gets 310 hp @ 5600 and 327 tq @ 3400 with regular gasoline, but the Lexus only gets 301 hp @ 5500 and 329 tq @ 3500 on premium. I don't mind the premium gasoline rating, but thought that it helps to get more out of the engine tuning and therefore better numbers.
SAE makes Lexus report the true hp ratings with the engine hooked up to everything. The Tundra makes 310 but has a different exhaust, 4wd system, less air conditionining load etc etc.

The Land Cruiser 200 4.6 makes 318hp but that model is not subject to SAE.
Old 11-23-09, 12:08 PM   #28
dgsvt
Driver

It's still sad that a base v8 tundra running on regular unleaded has more hp than a 60K lexus with the same v8 running on premium. Isn't the tundra 4.6 subjected to SAE also. The LX570 has the same 5.7 v8 as the Tundra/Sequoia but the lexus does have more HP both SAE rated. Isn't this due to the LX570 being tuned to run premium gasoline. It may only be 2 hp, but it's not 9 hp less like the GX460 on PREMIUM GASOLINE. I'm not saying it's a real big deal, but if I were a lexus exec why would I let toyota have a perceived hp advantage running regular gas. Why not just put the toyota version of this engine in the GX and run it on regular (more hp, 10%+ less fuel cost). Hey it may only get 17 mpg, but it runs on regular. Also, this vehicle has not been refreshed for 7 years and this is it...

All this said, I'm still probably going to get one (I do like the interior). I'm just disappointed (engine, exterior, rear barn door)... I was hoping for so much more.
dgsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 01:21 PM   #29
jasonm641
Driver School Candidate

Default I'm sure it will sell well, but....

...I am disappointed as well. I think the Lexus SUVs may just be getting away from me. I have an '03 LX, which has been great, and I had a deposit on the new generation which I pulled after seeing it at its unveiling in NY. I had hoped that the GX would become an option, but i think the wheel wells look oddly unfilled, the rear gate is still cumbersome, and the overall styling is unbalanced / bulbous. Interior is a strong point. I think they will sell a lot of these, because it has the big 'L' on the grille, but it could have been more. I love the service / reliability of the brand, but I think I need to go elsewhere.
jasonm641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 03:07 PM   #30
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgsvt View Post
It's still sad that a base v8 tundra running on regular unleaded has more hp than a 60K lexus with the same v8 running on premium. Isn't the tundra 4.6 subjected to SAE also. The LX570 has the same 5.7 v8 as the Tundra/Sequoia but the lexus does have more HP both SAE rated. Isn't this due to the LX570 being tuned to run premium gasoline. It may only be 2 hp, but it's not 9 hp less like the GX460 on PREMIUM GASOLINE. I'm not saying it's a real big deal, but if I were a lexus exec why would I let toyota have a perceived hp advantage running regular gas. Why not just put the toyota version of this engine in the GX and run it on regular (more hp, 10%+ less fuel cost). Hey it may only get 17 mpg, but it runs on regular. Also, this vehicle has not been refreshed for 7 years and this is it...

All this said, I'm still probably going to get one (I do like the interior). I'm just disappointed (engine, exterior, rear barn door)... I was hoping for so much more.
I was just reading the press release and early reviews. It looks like the Tundra 4.6 and the GX 4.6 are slightly different engines. Edmunds says peak hp and tq are are at 5500rpm and 3500rpm while the Tundra is at 5600rpm and 3400rpm.

Also, edmunds says that the GX is from the LS460....

from edmunds : "It's essentially the same V8 engine found in the Lexus LS 460 sedan but with different intake and exhaust plumbing and revised engine controls" I always thought the Tundra 4.6 was based on the 5.7

also, there is no mention of exhaust gas recirculation as found on the Tundra 4.6....this would perhaps answer the hr difference
Old 11-23-09, 03:07 PM