Old 10-28-09, 11:09 PM
AndreyRU
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-29-09, 12:03 AM
Shantonu
Driver School Candidate

Hate to sound negative, but i expected the exterior to look better then this...Definitely not feeling the rear.
Old 10-29-09, 12:26 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AndreyRU
This GX redesign looks disgusting....I can't believe how horrible the front, rear look....the interior kind of reminds me of a Lincoln ....

The Land Cruiser Prado looks great when sitting next to the GX and the new Prado isn't all that great looking to begin with
Old 10-29-09, 03:57 AM
JessePS

Originally Posted by pagemaster
This GX redesign looks disgusting....I can't believe how horrible the front, rear look....the interior kind of reminds me of a Lincoln ....

The Land Cruiser Prado looks great when sitting next to the GX and the new Prado isn't all that great looking to begin with
I am with you on that one. I have no idea why the GX has such weird headlights :/ but everything Lexus does is for some sort of reason.
Old 10-29-09, 06:45 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I definitely prefer the classic Lexus grill over the changes they've made in recent models. The trend toward thicker bars on the grill reminds me of Ford.
Old 10-29-09, 10:33 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JessePS
I am with you on that one. I have no idea why the GX has such weird headlights :/ but everything Lexus does is for some sort of reason.
I think the head light design is more of an international influence than North American. I believe this will be the first GX to be sold in parts of the world where the GX was not sold.

I really question what is going on at Lexus these days. Toyota got the redesign of the 4runnner and Land Cruiser, LC200 and LX570 right...why couldn't they get the GX right?
Old 10-29-09, 11:28 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I think the head light design is more of an international influence than North American. I believe this will be the first GX to be sold in parts of the world where the GX was not sold.

I really question what is going on at Lexus these days. Toyota got the redesign of the 4runnner and Land Cruiser, LC200 and LX570 right...why couldn't they get the GX right?
I personally think the bad designs from Toyota have been here for the last 1-2 model cylces/generations on most of their vehicles. I think the 2010 4Runner is absolutely horrible. The rear end is just awful. It is so obvious how cheap they made it. Hard plastics, steel rod pole antenna, no memory seats, no led's, no projectors, no V8, no leather steering wheels anymore except on Limited and on and on. All of those features were on the previous model. Never should a company take away features on the next redesign that customer's have already had available to them. Horrible idea. All of these features are common grounds on new cars these days. So why would I buy the new 4Runner when I can get all of these features from the rest of the available vehicles offered by Toyota's competitors? I was hoping for a 4Runner I would want to go out and buy...but no matter how hard I try to forget the ugly rear end, and the lack of so many features...I just cant get myself to like it. So, this is why I have had such high hopes for the new GX, but once again, the stying is off to me. The front end is not to my likings. It needs to be less car/crossover like and a bit more rugged. Come on Lexus, this isn't the RX!

I also think that the current Land Cruiser is a huge step back from the 98-07 models. The styling is bubbly/ugly and it has worse off-road angles than the model it replaced. Toyota should have aimed for a more rugged/luxury Land Cruiser. The Range Rover should have been a benchmark for them.

Same goes with the current Tundra and Tacoma. I feel as if the older ones were much more desirable from a quality and styling standpoint.

Same goes for Lexus. I no longer like any of them well enough to buy except for the SC. I suppose the reason for this is that the SC has not received the boring "L-finesse" crap design as the rest of the line-up.

I really prefer the previous generation GS, LS, LX, IS (I wont even consider the ES, RX) models to the current ones. Hopefully Toyota/Lexus gets their act in gear now with Akio Toyoda in charge.

Last edited by jjbenzo; 10-29-09 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-29-09, 12:39 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I would go further and say that the whole Lexus SUV line's redesign have been a failure. I like the old LX and the GX better. The new RX, compare to the old one, is as nice exterior design wise, thats only because the new RX look so much like the old RX, both very boring looking. Lexus really need a new direction in their exterior designs.
Old 10-29-09, 12:52 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
I personally think the bad designs from Toyota have been here for the last 1-2 model cylces/generations on most of their vehicles. I think the 2010 4Runner is absolutely horrible. The rear end is just awful. It is so obvious how cheap they made it. Hard plastics, steel rod pole antenna, no memory seats, no led's, no projectors, no V8, no leather steering wheels anymore except on Limited and on and on. All of those features were on the previous model. Never should a company take away features on the next redesign that customer's have already had available to them. Horrible idea. All of these features are common grounds on new cars these days. So why would I buy the new 4Runner when I can get all of these features from the rest of the available vehicles offered by Toyota's competitors? I was hoping for a 4Runner I would want to go out and buy...but no matter how hard I try to forget the ugly rear end, and the lack of so many features...I just cant get myself to like it. So, this is why I have had such high hopes for the new GX, but once again, the stying is off to me. The front end is not to my likings. It needs to be less car/crossover like and a bit more rugged. Come on Lexus, this isn't the RX!

I also think that the current Land Cruiser is a huge step back from the 98-07 models. The styling is bubbly/ugly and it has worse off-road angles than the model it replaced. Toyota should have aimed for a more rugged/luxury Land Cruiser. The Range Rover should have been a benchmark for them.

Same goes with the current Tundra and Tacoma. I feel as if the older ones were much more desirable from a quality and styling standpoint.

Same goes for Lexus. I no longer like any of them well enough to buy except for the SC. I suppose the reason for this is that the SC has not received the boring "L-finesse" crap design as the rest of the line-up.

I really prefer the previous generation GS, LS, LX, IS (I wont even consider the ES, RX) models to the current ones. Hopefully Toyota/Lexus gets their act in gear now with Akio Toyoda in charge.
So wait, the Land Cruiser to you is not rugged enough, and the new 4Runner is not luxurious enough? I think your priorities are mixed up .

Lower-priced and more "rugged" Land Cruisers are available in different markets; one is called the Prado. The flagship LC200 is *supposed* to look and be somewhat luxurious, since it is the flagship after all. The LC200 still has more than enough ruggedness where it counts though; not in looks, but in off-road performance.

The new 4Runner has a lot more standard off-road equipment and technology than any of the previous generations ever had. The underbody is more protected for off-road than the previous generation, and the car's hardware and mechanicals are beefier than the previous-gen (exception being the lack of a V8). Luxurious features have now been made more into options, instead of having them as standard equipment. The new 4 Runner goes back to it's roots. If you want all that luxury in an off-road SUV, you should seriously consider a Lexus GX, or a Limited 4Runner.

Toyota made a mistake in focusing on, and marketing the luxurious features in the 4th gen model, along with the rounded styling. That is not what the 4Runner is about IMHO.

With this new 5th gen model, Toyota is focusing on and marketing it's off-road capabilities more than any luxury features. The styling is also more rugged. The 4Runner is an off-road SUV first, and a luxury SUV second, not the other way around.

It seems the new 5th gen has upset some 4th gen owners, while it seems a lot of early generation 4Runner fans/owners seem to love the new 5th gen.

As a long-time 4Runner fan, I am glad the direction they took with the 5th gen, but to each his own.
Old 10-29-09, 12:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
I would go further and say that the whole Lexus SUV line's redesign have been a failure. I like the old LX and the GX better. The new RX, compare to the old one, is as nice exterior design wise, thats only because the new RX look so much like the old RX, both very boring looking. Lexus really need a new direction in their exterior designs.
The competition is so much more exciting in exterior design . The RX IMHO has best-in-class styling with the Audi Q5 being a very close 2nd, but to each his own. These criticisms are irrelevant anyways, as sales of the RX speaks for itself.
Old 10-30-09, 01:04 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbenzo

I agree with pretty much all you wrote. I'm not feeling the GX and LX much at all, especially the GX. And their cars all look like generic sedans, small, medium, large, and X-large. IMO, they are losing their way. The new boss (Toyoda) has stated clearly that Toyota will move towards designs and vehicles with "emotion and performance" so perhaps they'll get back on track in a few years. Meanwhile, there is little that interests me about their lineup.
Old 10-30-09, 08:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The competition is so much more exciting in exterior design . The RX IMHO has best-in-class styling with the Audi Q5 being a very close 2nd, but to each his own. These criticisms are irrelevant anyways, as sales of the RX speaks for itself.
I did say that the RX was the best looking of the Lexus SUV didnt I? I have heard a few nice comments from car mag editors about the RX's new ineterior, but the review on the exterior design is mostly negative. You are right though, to each his own, we all know that owners do not buy the RX for it looks and performance.
Old 10-30-09, 10:35 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
Unhappy

I hate the design of headlights sagging into the bumper, alot of it used the domestics ala 300c.... Now the GX is doing it

I'm hoping the gx will look alot better in real life but so far for the exterior

I don't know what to say about these 2 details but WTH???
Attached Thumbnails 2011 lexus gx interior!!!-gxrear.jpg  
Old 10-30-09, 11:14 AM
dbacf
Driver School Candidate

I hate it as well, I believe there is a push button on the right side to pop the glass?

They should of left the back-up lamps by the license plate. IMO
Old 10-30-09, 11:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I agree, that back up lamp, reflector combo makes the GS look very cheap.

Quick Reply: 2011 lexus gx interior!!!