GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010 Gx460

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 07:58 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuH

Trademark of GX460 was registered on August 1, 2007.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?...ate=cp61v3.1.1

Enter "GX460" on the search

Chu...
This is what you will find:

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Gx460-gx460.gif  
Old 09-10-08, 07:04 AM
ERC4
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Facts About the Upcoming GX460

Notes From the NYC Dealer Meeting-
"New GX460. The biggest problem with the new GX is that it looks so much like an LX, there many be no reason to buy the LX. They did not show an interior mock up of the car, but the outside looks like a 7/8th version of the new LX. The big positive: there are electric fold down rear seats in the 3rd row. The negative news: the door still opens on the side and yes, it remains on the wrong side. There are a couple of reasons for this. First and foremost this is a world car and the other global markets were not asking for a split rear hatch or a lift gate. The other driving factor is that there are new rollover standards and crash test standards that were required to be hit. The GX is already a tall vehicle to begin with, trying to engineer a lift gate as is on the Cayenne or other SUV's would have resulted in more weight being added to the top of the car. This would have contributed to a less satisfying ride and a greater chance for rollover due to being more top heavy. Other GX news. The engine goes to a 4.6 L, but horsepower will be up to 300bhp. Mileage improves, I believe 2mpg. VDIM will be standard as will kinetic suspension. The later helping with handling considerations and minimizing the impact of the vehicle being so tall and helping with the rollover concerns."
Old 09-10-08, 07:15 AM
ERC4
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Facts About the Upcoming GX460

And, the report on AutoSpies.com reports it'll be here in January of 2010.
Old 09-10-08, 07:17 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by ERC4
Notes From the NYC Dealer Meeting-
"New GX460. The biggest problem with the new GX is that it looks so much like an LX, there many be no reason to buy the LX. They did not show an interior mock up of the car, but the outside looks like a 7/8th version of the new LX."
Well that does not sound like a crossover to me... I certainly do not consider the new LX a crossover design. Although this seems to make more sense from the standpoint that if it were much smaller then it is now and more crossover oriented then it would eat to much into the RX buyers market. However, as mentioned above it may eat a little into the LX market, but I suspect there will be significant enough dimension differentials that the GX will not appeal to a lot of LX buyers who want a more functional 3rd row seat and what they consider the biggest and best SUV Lexus makes. But we all know that title lies with the GX!

Last edited by cssnms; 09-10-08 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-10-08, 07:52 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone hear if these changes will also be the same for the 2010 4runner? My lease is up this fall and I will wait until the new redesign comes out. I am hoping it comes out before Jan 2010 though. Supposedly the new 4runner will debut at the Chicago or NY auto show so who knows.

Any news as to if it gets the new 6sp tranny also?
Old 09-10-08, 09:05 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe there are rumors of a JX470/JX460 which was/is to become the sport crossover in the Lexus lineup. It has been a while since seeing pics but it was very similar in size to the RX.
Old 09-10-08, 10:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Of course all these rumors are subject to change now that Lexus sales is going down the tubes.
Old 09-10-08, 01:13 PM
WhyNotMe01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will believe it when i see pictures
Old 09-10-08, 02:32 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Of course all these rumors are subject to change now that Lexus sales is going down the tubes.
Lexus sales are off 14% for the year, it is down but not a collapse. They still lead the market in sales, and with no new products aside from the low-volume LX and IS F from the beginning of the year. They NEED new product, which is what BMW and Mercedes have this year. A new RX, new IS convertible, these are coming for sure. A new GX would be great too.
Old 09-10-08, 07:09 PM
MrLexIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested to know if it will maintain the towing capacity of the current GX. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 09-11-08, 05:14 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No offense to any LX owners but there has been so many complaints about the LX exterior styling. This includes me. I probably would have bought it if it only looked better on the outside.

I like the current GX a lot. If they just refreshed it but upgraded the interior then I think it would do well. Hopefully they will make the right move.

Can't wait!
Old 09-13-08, 11:51 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wonder when we will know for sure? because I want
to buy one more new model of the current GX before
they change (ruin) it
Old 09-13-08, 02:50 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by itsZep
i wonder when we will know for sure? because I want
to buy one more new model of the current GX before
they change (ruin) it
The GX will not become a crossover. That would be plain silly from a marketing standpoint. The RX-possible, but certainly not the GX. People still want or need SUVs so the market is still there and better fuel efficiency is all they need to perk up sales.
Old 09-20-08, 02:35 PM
WhyNotMe01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any new pictures???
Old 09-20-08, 04:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
Well that does not sound like a crossover to me... I certainly do not consider the new LX a crossover design. Although this seems to make more sense from the standpoint that if it were much smaller then it is now and more crossover oriented then it would eat to much into the RX buyers market. However, as mentioned above it may eat a little into the LX market, but I suspect there will be significant enough dimension differentials that the GX will not appeal to a lot of LX buyers who want a more functional 3rd row seat and what they consider the biggest and best SUV Lexus makes. But we all know that title lies with the GX!
7/8 LX indeed... still truck based.

Smaller engines, size, price... pretty much it.

Quick Reply: 2010 Gx460