GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but

Old 02-27-05, 04:32 PM
Black Dog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bobgore

How do you like the FJR? I ride a BMW K1200RS, getting ready to run over to Daytona for bike week.

Rodney
Old 02-28-05, 01:19 PM
SacKen
Driver

Originally Posted by Black Dog
How do you like the FJR? I ride a BMW K1200RS, getting ready to run over to Daytona for bike week.

Rodney
I envy you... I went to college in Daytona and Bike Week was one of my favorite times of the year! Not too convenient now that I am back in Cali. I hope to make it back one year and experience it as a vacationer rather than a local. Staying in a hotel within walking distance of Main Street can make a world of difference in the experience.

Enjoy the festivities
Old 02-28-05, 06:38 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bobgore

I was going to install a reverse sensor, too, but then I remembered, Hey, I have a camera back there.
Bob.....

I also have a camera back there, but I don't know how far I am from anything. It's like saying, Hey, I have rear view mirrors on this thing.

There is nothing like knowing how far I am from whatever. I guess I am spoiled from having backup sensors on my QX4.

The QX56 has both a backup camera and sensors which shows the distance right on the Nav Screen.

~ Cap
Old 03-05-05, 03:42 PM
Donger
Driver

Default Different Hitch

I had the factory 6500 lbs (I think) hitch installed on my '05. It looks different than those pictured in this thread. Is this a new version of the 6500 lbs hitch (I am looking at the hoops where you attach the trailer chains - they are different than the others pictured).

May be a nit - but I thought I'd ask.

Old 03-05-05, 06:30 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Previous OEM hitch

Originally Posted by Donger

I had the factory 6500 lbs (I think) hitch installed on my '05. It looks different than those pictured in this thread. Is this a new version of the 6500 lbs hitch (I am looking at the hoops where you attach the trailer chains - they are different than the others pictured).

Donger.....
Here is the previous OEM hitch.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but-gxhitchoem.jpg  
Old 03-05-05, 08:53 PM
GXPrado
Driver

Donger, that's a better hitch you got. The loops are bigger and out in the open.

Sometimes the stupid round holes in the old hitch make it impossible to hook up the safety chains which is probably why they changed it.
Old 03-06-05, 06:17 AM
4everlexus
Rookie

Default 5,000 or 6,500 lb rated receiver?

Originally Posted by Donger

Are you sure this is 6,500 lbs rated? I think this is the 5,000 lb rated hitch. Wish someone could make this clear once and for all.

Thx.
Old 03-06-05, 03:44 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Not sure this will help or confuse more.

Here are one pic of a 2005 (manufactured 11/04) with 6500 tow hitch (factory install) with KDSS (actually this is a Sport model).

Perhaps the KDSS merits a whole different hitch. But mine doesn't look like either previous picture.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but-dsc00652-small-.jpg  
Old 03-06-05, 03:46 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Second pic
Attached Thumbnails Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but-dsc00654-small-.jpg  
Old 03-06-05, 08:44 PM
Donger
Driver

That is too strange. It seems like the dealers install whatever they want. I hope all the hitches pictured for the '05s are 6500lbs. All the documentation says they are, but have the disclaimer "when properly equiped". So how do you know if you are properly equiped? I crawled under mine and there is no load rating that I could see stamped on the unit (which is also strange, you usually have a load rating and tounge weight stamped on the receiver).

I tow a 5500 lbs trailer. I was able to pull it fine with my BMW X5 which had a tow rating of 5000 (but BMW way over-engineers their vehicles, I knew a guy that was towing an 8200 lbs Airstream with his). However, I like the extra capability that one is suppose to have with the GX, gives you that extra towing cushion when conditions get harsh (hot, wind, hills). I have a few more mile to go on break-in before I can start towing. I guess if the hitch falls off, we know it was the 5000 version and not the 6500.

Donger
Old 03-06-05, 08:48 PM
Donger
Driver

Default One more question

Does anyone know if the 'factory' hitch includes transmission and/or oil coolers. Some vehicles don't need them, but towing in 110 degrees in Phoenix, it is always a good extra level of protection.

Donger
Old 03-06-05, 09:58 PM
98Nav400
Driver

Originally Posted by loflin

Here are one pic of a 2005 (manufactured 11/04) with 6500 tow hitch (factory install) with KDSS (actually this is a Sport model).

Perhaps the KDSS merits a whole different hitch. But mine doesn't look like either previous picture.
I have this same hitch on my 2004 NON-KDSS. It is the factory installed 6500 lbs hitch.

What I was told by my dealer is the 5,000 is more hidden, like Dongers. The 6,500# is much more exposed and hangs "under" the bumper. I had the choice between two identicals on the lot; the 5,000# was like Donger's and the 6,500# is like loflin's. I chose the 6,500# and have yet to tow more than a 600# trailer....
Old 03-07-05, 04:28 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No towing for KDSS in '04

When I purchased my truck last year. I was told that none of the KDSS models had the towing option. And that it would not be installed. I can only guess that was due to the introduction of a technology that Lexus or Toyota did not have any experience with. I want to add the two bits to my truck but the dealer tells me that I am SOL. The parts get matched to the VIN, and are only available as "replacement" components after an accident. I don't know if this has anything to do with EPA, but more like possible warranty issues. I guess I will probably opt for the Hidden Hitch III/IV model. I am curious if I still need the bulge on the bumper knock-out. My bumber is solid with no notch at this time. Can anyone comment on that setup??
Old 03-11-05, 12:45 PM
4everlexus
Rookie

Default Hitch Saga...con'td!

Originally Posted by loflin

Well, I spoke at length today with the Parts/Service Manager of our local Lexus Dealership. He in fact, said this one (under carriage) is not factory installed but, went on to say, that there are three major distributorships of Lexus in the US. He said that it is possible that this is from the West Coast or Gulf States and they make more of a margin doing this. The one that is 6,500lb rated from Lexus is in fact, the one that is hidden with the cut-out that looks so good.

Seems like some Lexus dealers do not explain things clearly or else, they just don't know what they are talking about?

Buyer beware I guess!
Attached Thumbnails Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but-loflin_pic.jpg  

Last edited by 4everlexus; 03-12-05 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-11-05, 03:44 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4everlexus
Well, I spoke at length today with the Parts/Service Manager of our local Lexus Dealership. He in fact, said this one (under carriage) is not factory installed but, went on to say, that there are three major distributorships of Lexus in the US. He said that it is possible that this is from the West Coast or Gulf States and they make more of a margin doing this. The one that is 6,500lb rated from Lexus is in fact, the one that is hidden with the cut-out that looks so good.

Seems like some Lexus dealers do not explain things clearly or else, they are just plain not telling the truth!

Buyer beware I guess!
Hmm, not sure what to tell you, but my hitch is a Factory Installed Lexus 6500lb trailer hitch. Now I realize that Factory Installed can mean the Lexus Port puts it on. But the dealer did NOT.

Further this car was in production when I ordered it (meaning my Lexus dealer scanned ALL '05 GX in production and coming in to match my order, then made a deal/switch with the dealer it was heading to). In the computer, BEFORE it landed it showed the Feature Code for 6500lb trailer hitch. Again, this doesn't mean it was put on in Japan. But it was part of the factory order. Further the plastic bumper piece is not either one of the ones shown in your pictures, it is made for this hitch, as there are 2 larger bolts that go into the bumper frame right above the receiver.

Besides those 2 bolts, there are 4 other bolts (total of 10) on each side. The rear tow (as in the car being platform towed) loops are part of this hitch. That is they share 2 of the bolts on each side.

Finally, there is a sticker that says 6500lb tow, 650 tongue for weight carrying hitch and 6500 lb tow and 975lb tongue for weight distributing hitch.

The PN stamped into the metal, if anyone wants to look up is: PT228-60540, with second row of numbes 14761-0 05J4

I'm not sure why your dealer thinks anyone would think a massive hitch likes this (10 bolts, 2 inch steel tube), integral with tow loops, would be less cost (i.e. better margin).

Last thought, I'm not sure, but did you state your GX had KDSS, as KDSS adds a number of parts to the suspension back there, and it is obvious this hitch was made to fit around that. Perhaps this was why they didn't offer 6500lb tow on 2004 GX with KDSS (it wasn't designed/tested yet?).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but