GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-04, 08:55 AM
MarcP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hitch

Originally posted by bobgore
I hope this helps because I've been wrestling with this hitch thing for a couple of weeks. If you install the aftermarket hitch (Hidden Hitch etc) and have that knockout with the notch for the Lexus hitch, you can order a new knockout without the notch. You have to give the VIN to your Lexus parts man so they can match your paint.

OR....you can get the hitch Toyota makes for the V6 4Runner (their parts book calls it a "pintle hitch") which mounts behind the notch on the "hitch receiver" you already have. Be careful with the Toyota hitch because it does not have the tow capacity of the V8 hitch. Problem with the V8 hitch is that Toyota/Lexus is not installing them because (depending on who you talk to) 1) the V8 does not pass EPA test under tow; or 2) there is a design flaw in the hitch. My Lexus dealer will not install non-Lexus parts, and to have the Toyota hitch installed requires removing the back bumper which, reportedly, takes about an hour. The hitch simply bolts on to that plate (tow hitch receiver) you see under your bumber. The electrical connection is to the left of the plate as you look at it.

In my case, here I sit with a 4X4 that comes standard with (according to Lexus literature and web site) a "Tow-hitch receiver" and no way to tow my trailer. So I'm now looking for an independent shop that will install the Toyota hitch (the GX is basically a 4Runner) on my GX. Before I do this I need to order one of those bumber knockouts with the notch since mine doesn't have one. it's about $65 according to my dealer.

This superb company has done an absolutely lousy job of informing its customers about this issue. It is a shame that most of what I have learned has been on these posts. It appears the same goes for you.
bobgore,

Thanks for your insight - I agree with you that I'm amazed at how little appropriate information is available from Lexus on this issue. My question stems more from the fact that I have a 2005 GX on order and the order was spec'd with the hitch receiver w/ ball mount. I'm just trying to figure out which version of it will actually be on the vehicle when it arrives. I'm hoping it is the nicely integrated one you are describing, but I'm not holding my breath. Strange that they put the notched bumper piece in on seemingly all of the vehicles, but the hitch they install at the port doesn't fit in it?? Does your vehicle sticker have the "tow hitch package" listed but no notch in the bumper?
Old 11-17-04, 09:40 AM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Hello Marc,

There's a few variation of the factory installed hitches from Lexus.

The hitch I bought from Lexus was the earlier type made for 03 models. It's made in Japan. This hitch is mounted a bit too high. Even with the OE drop down ball mount my trailer neck sits about 1.5 higher. I might have to get an after market ball mount which drops more to keep my trailer leveled.

The second type I see is the load distributing hitch which is the round tube style, it also increase its towing capacity. It drops down the hitch receiver about 1in compared to the load carrying type like mine. Plus the tube also covers the spare tire when viewed from the rear.
So I figure this change will make the trailer level. This weight distributing hitch was made when they notch the bumper for the earlier type hitch. So they have to come up with a little steel plate that fills the space of the notch and hitch.

The third or current hitch I see is still the tube type same as the one above. But now after using up all their notched panels they made the one that bulges out seen on most 05 models. I think this design is pretty neat since it's univeral, it looks fine with and with out the hitch installed. So there you have it the evolution of the GX hitch! Took them 2 years to perfect it.

Toyota makes minor changes to their vehicles to suite the country where it is sold. I won't be surprised that it's probably toyota usa who was in charge of the hitch design for the GX. Anyway here is the Austrialian Prado hitch.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but-9840.jpg  
Old 11-17-04, 10:17 AM
MarcP
Driver

Originally posted by CivicFerio
The third or current hitch I see is still the tube type same as the one above. But now after using up all their notched panels they made the one that bulges out seen on most 05 models. I think this design is pretty neat since it's univeral, it looks fine with and with out the hitch installed. So there you have it the evolution of the GX hitch! Took them 2 years to perfect it.
Thanks Charleston!

When you say the 05 models - do you mean the GX (I haven't seen any info on this yet)? Is the third hitch style you describe physically the same tubular type hitch but just a different "bulging" colored piece for the bumper instead of the notched one? You wouldn't happen to have a picture of this version would you? Do you think that is what will be installed on the first 05's?

I hope it will as I don't like the look of the notched bumper with the tubular hitch - as I said before it just looks like it wasn't made for the truck.

Thanks again,

Marc

Last edited by MarcP; 11-17-04 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-17-04, 10:53 AM
Traturn
Driver

I dont know if this will help anyone, but there was a design change to the GX, which resulted in two different hitch part-numbers.

up to 4/11/04 production uses PT228-60440
Afte r 4/11/04 production uses PT228-60540

The difference that i can see is that there is a slightly different spacing one a 4 bolt flange (Tried to install an old hitch on a new vehicle, wouldnt line up; or vice verca i dont remember)

Easiest way to tell the difference between an old production GX with TO package and new production with TO package is the rear bumper insert. Old design has a much larger cut out like this one:

The new produciton TO option has a much less pronounced cutout. And i cant Find a picture of it! (would look like any '04 on a Lexus lot today tho!)

You can now get the new design hitch from Lexus without much hastle (no longer manually controlled)

Either kit does not come with the Ball Mount (or ball)

hope it helps somewhat~
Old 11-17-04, 10:54 AM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Marc,

I actually seen a few of them running around already. The change could be made from the later build 04 models also. The buldge looks neat with and with out the hitch in my opinion. And with the hitch it dosent give the look "they tried hard, but failed to make it look OE" like the previous attempt.

I'll try to get some pictures for you.

Charleston
Old 11-17-04, 11:14 AM
MarcP
Driver

Thanks guys for all of your help!!

You were able to address my question in a matter of minutes as opposed to the three days my dealer has taken and still not repsonded! This forum is awesome - I hope I can contribute and help out as much as you guys have helped me.

Charleston - let me know if you find any pics of the newer setup - I'm still curious!
Old 11-17-04, 11:23 AM
Traturn
Driver

"Tow-hitch receiver" Could just mean its ready to recieve a tow hitch

Lexus seems about one production year behind releasing hitches. it was over 6 months before you could get an RX330 Hitch from the factory, and about the same if not more for the GX hitch. (I think it was same story when the RX300 came out too, not sure!)

Horribly handled, you would think that by now they would have it down. Listing tow specs and have no hitch available at point of sale is a shame
Old 11-17-04, 04:23 PM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Hitch. Solved....almost

I now have an integrated hitch on my GX 470 as opposed to a add-on (Hidden Hitch, etc.) which mounts to the frame rails and hangs below the bumper and thereby reduces the departure angle. Here's what I did:

1) I bought the light duty (4Runner 6-cyl) hitch from Toyota ($200). Fine for me because of my light load. Six-cyl 4Runners come with these hitches. The V8s (also 470 engines) do not. Same problem with the V8 for Toyota as for Lexus.
2) I went to a body shop and asked if they would install it. (Lexus said no to the same question)
3) They looked into their manual. It said 1 hr. labor to remove and replace the bumper and .1 hr. to remove the hitch mount and replace it with the hitch ($50). The hitch uses the same bolts as the mount.
4) The body shop ordered the lower bumper knockout with the notch ($80) to replace the one without the notch that came on my car. It should arrive in a day or two. I will then have my body shop guy snap it in place.
4) Done.
5) Whew!

If you have the right tools to pry at some of the plastic snaps that hold your bumber together, you can do this job yourself and save $50. If you already have a notch in your lower bumper, save another $80.

For those who tow big loads, all I know to do is buy an OEM hitch. ETrailer.com is excellent.

Oh...I wrote "almost". The body shop guys says the blizzard pearl is the hardest paint to match, so I shouldn't be surprised if the new notch does not match the bumper If it's too apparent, I'll order a black one.

And, yes, my car came with the hitch mount and trailer towing package but no hitch and no notch in the lower bumper. Worse, it came with no answers and no help from Lexus.

Last edited by bobgore; 11-17-04 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-17-04, 04:43 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hitch. Solved....almost

Originally posted by bobgore

Oh... I wrote "almost". The body shop guys says the blizzard pearl is the hardest paint to match, so I shouldn't be surprised if the new notch does not match the bumper If it's too apparent, I'll order a black one.
Bob.....

Trust me, the cover will match perfectly. I ordered the plain cover to replace my notched one. I would mail you my old notched one if I knew what I did with it.

I also have an aftermarket rear spoiler that matches perfectly. If you order a Black Cover with the notch, you will be sorry.

~ Cap
Old 11-17-04, 06:57 PM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Hitch

Cap,

Thank you.

We should open a lower bumper knock-out exchange. I've read several posts by guys who don't want the notched ones. Mine is available.

Bob
Old 11-17-04, 07:26 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hitch

Bob.....

You may have noticed that the latest GXs, that are Hitch Ready, don't have the notched cover. The new cover has a rise to it. Looks a lot better than the notch ones.

The reason for the rise, is because of a bracket behind the notch. Unbeknownst to me, when I attempted to replace the notch cover with the plain cover, it didn't snap in place. I had to use my handy sawzall to do a little trimming.

~ Cap
Old 11-18-04, 08:11 AM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Here is the latest look of the tow hitch panel.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but-139_3936.jpg  
Old 11-18-04, 08:12 AM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

shot 2
Attached Thumbnails Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but-139_3937.jpg  
Old 11-18-04, 08:13 AM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

last shot
Attached Thumbnails Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but-139_3938.jpg  
Old 11-18-04, 08:19 AM
MarcP
Driver

Thanks for the great pictures!! Is this the setup that all new GX's are coming with from the factory with the TO option? If the DH drop hitch gets added - does it just sit below this?

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but