GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus Suspension Changes Official

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-03, 06:52 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus Suspension Changes Official

Well it's official. Lexus has updated their website regarding the new suspension system. Anyone who bought a 2004 and does not have Kinetic Suspension should find out why.

Lexus Web Site Clip
Kinetic Dynamic Suspension

Once again, Lexus proves that it's possible to have it all. The GX's available Kinetic Dynamic Sport Suspension (KDSS) [2] means you don't have to sacrifice a smooth on-road ride for superior off-road handling. Front and rear cylinders, linked hydraulically via a pressure-sensing valve, adjust the GX's stabilizer bars to current road conditions. On the road, that means a smoother ride and reduced body roll when cornering. Off-road benefits include increased wheel articulation and improved traction.

I don't like the 2003 suspension. I have complained to customer service that it bottoms out on the road, is unstable during braking, has a great deal of wind sheer on the highway with low winds, and seems to get jostled around at any sign of wavering roads.

It is odd. Toyota/Lexus doesn't change something like suspension after a new model year unless there is an issue. The 2003 GX470 had a new chassis, engine, suspension, transmission and more. You spend that kind of money engineering a suspension system for a new vehicle, you won't do the same thing again until the next major model redesign (typically 5 years).

I intend to pressure Lexus over this.
Old 09-14-03, 06:03 PM
stephenkyu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please note that Kinetic Dynaic Sport Suspension is a option, and it won't be available until November 2003.

[2] The optional Kinetic Dynamic Sport Suspension (KDSS) will be available beginning November 2003.
Old 09-14-03, 07:15 PM
Skip
Driver

You probably will not see the cars with that suspension until late Jan or Feb. It says that production will start in Nov, and as stated it will be an option. Skip
Old 09-15-03, 04:40 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Question

Yup...

You will not see these trucks until early to mid-January. This is starting to wear on me a bit on how Lexus has been "vague" on delivery times. I'm almost tempted to start pricing the 04 Land Cruisers.

That brings up a question: Why the GX instead of the Toyota LandCruiser?

Thanks..
Old 09-15-03, 05:56 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

I don't see anywhere it saying optional. Though, I believe when it comes out, you will only be able to get the Kinetic Suspension on the GX.

I don't see any reason for Lexus redesigning a new suspension system into the GX for any other reasons but what I noted above. They are doing it for onroad performance not offroad.
Old 09-15-03, 08:29 AM
CaptnPete
Driver School Candidate

As copied from the Lexus website:

The Lexus GX 470 luxury utility vehicle, introduced just last year, receives new cutting-edge safety features for 2004, as well as an optional Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) that helps improve control and comfort both on-road and in off-highway driving situations. (KDSS available in January 2004.)

Looks to me the word "optional" is quite clear
Old 09-15-03, 08:38 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

I don't argue it is not there. I just didn't see it. Under the GX470, I click on Performance and it does not indicate optional.

Where do you see it?

But I still stand by my observations. I believe it will be about as optional as heated seats. Lexus won't make it without it.
Old 09-15-03, 08:59 AM
modelaford
Driver

Thumbs up

I was told this will be a bolt on system and will fit the 2003 also. have to wait and see what kind of reports we have from the folks when they get a chance to road test their new ones with it on to wheather it is worth the couple hundred bucks.
Old 09-15-03, 09:09 AM
CaptnPete
Driver School Candidate

http://www.lexus.com/models/gx/index.html

go to Press Releases for the the 2004 GX

HTH
Old 09-15-03, 09:35 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Thank you.
Old 09-15-03, 09:38 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

I notice this new system is mated to the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) to reduce Roll, dive and squat.

Those are the symptoms I have experiencing. It is so bad, that around a corner, the rear suspension likes to hop on the suspension stops. <not great for cornering>

Remember this is my second GX so it is not as if I have an isolated issue. I experienced the same with both vehicles.
Old 09-15-03, 04:34 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Sounds a lot like the X-Reas on the 4Runner, when the GX's do have them I could tell soon as I look
Old 09-15-03, 04:48 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

The XREAS and the KDSS are equivalent functionaly; however, as true Lexus style, they have implemented the more deluxe version that is offered by Kinetic. The 4Runner has diagonally opposing cylinders with one-way valves that control the body and lean of the system (a simple straight-forward passive system). The GX appears to have the either the more complex X-System or moderately complex RFS setup that allows more tuning to suit the "Lexus Ride".

Either way..I WISH THEY WOULD HURRY THE HELL UP!
Old 09-16-03, 08:42 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i want it too!! comeon haha
Old 09-18-03, 02:51 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I believe the Kinetic suspension is similar to the Land Rover Discovery's ACE system. It affects the ANTI-ROLL BAR (aka stabilizer bars), not shocks. This type of suspension is seen in the Disco, Audi A8, and BMW 7 series.

Thus, Kinetic is nothing like XREAS on 4runner. XREAS involves crosslinking shocks (in an X-fashion).

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Lexus Suspension Changes Official