GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Ski Rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-03, 11:20 PM
MJMeucci
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ski Rack

With ski season on its way, well OK its a little early but I wanna be prepared, I have been looking for a ski rack for the GX. It only needs to be able to carry 3 pairs of skis. We would prefer to buy directly form Leuxs but are very open to buying from other manufacturers. If anyone has prices or any ideas please let me know.
Old 08-19-03, 05:40 AM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Lexus doesn't make any racks. When car manufacturer's carry any type of rack, it is generally a rebranded item from Thule or Yakima (Volvo is a perfect example, they carry Thule roof boxes and charge a premium for them since they say "Volvo" on them).

If you have a tow hitch, I prefer the hitch-mount racks for the skis since a.) they are easier to get to and b.) you don't get as much salt, etc... as you would on the roof (unless you are using full bags). There are a few vendors that carry "swing-away" hitch-mount racks that can swing to the side so you can still fully open your silly rear door.

For roof mount, I have always preferred Thule for the durability. I have had a ton of Thule products in the past and have never had an issue with anything. Spare parts are easy to get and they fit on a variety of odd-shaped factory racks, like the Lexus.
Old 08-19-03, 10:55 PM
MJMeucci
Driver

OK excuse me for being stupid, what do you need salt for with a ski rack. Normally we had a pass-through in all of our vehicles and did not need a ski rack.
Old 08-20-03, 05:33 AM
lexusnc
Driver

In ref to the salt I think he was making ref to the fact that in the snow and ice environment you will be driving in, there is alot of salt applied to the roads and anything on a roof rack will be more exposed to this road salt that if it were on a rack behind the vehicle.
Old 08-20-03, 05:36 AM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Originally posted by MJMeucci
OK excuse me for being stupid, what do you need salt for with a ski rack. Normally we had a pass-through in all of our vehicles and did not need a ski rack.
I'm talking about road salt. Generally, if you are a skier you pass across roads that they have used salt or dirt on after a snowstorm. If your skis are outside the vehicle and you don't have covers for either the entire ski or just the bindings, the salt can get into the binding mechanism and cause rust.
Old 08-20-03, 04:34 PM
MJMeucci
Driver

OOOH hahah, I was thinking that you were using salt on your roof rack.... yeah just noticed that you were over on the East coast. They dont salt the passes over here, at least not from what I have seen, I think they use sand instead. thanks for the input!