GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Break-in Period?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-03, 04:41 PM
brent0226
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break-in Period?

I've read through the manual and there's no mention of a break in period.... ??? Is there not one for this car? I ask because at around 190 miles, my mom (who is accelerator happy) revved it to 5k without knowing. I'm sure it's probably fine, but does Lexus say anything about break-in periods?
Old 07-19-03, 05:58 PM
hipcheck
Driver School Candidate

Tires and brakes are 200 miles (always a good thing) The engine doesn't have a break-in that I've heard of (like the BMWs I've owned), but I still avoided real hard acceleration for 500 miles. I've read many articles on how newer engines don't need the traditional break-in periods.
Old 07-19-03, 07:26 PM
brent0226
Driver

Ah, good deal. Thanks!
Old 07-20-03, 09:12 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my dealer said that around 1000 miles that it does computer programming ( the way you drive or something) and said not to put alot of high way miles on it... i dont beleave him since he still trys to sell me an 03 gx at full sticker!!!
Old 07-25-03, 09:41 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

It is advisable that you do a break in period. So you will know and be sure that you will have a good gas mileage for the future of your car.

2003 Lexus GX470
Sand Dollar Pearl
Charcoal Interior
6th in Fresno
Old 07-29-03, 01:16 PM
lexite
Driver

my dealer said that around 1000 miles that it does computer programming ( the way you drive or something)
LOL!
Old 07-29-03, 02:00 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

It is a good idea to always break in a car no matter what to be on the safe side. Tires need to be scrubbed in during driving, give them about 200 miles. Brakes usually need to be bedded in for about 200 miles also (depending on brake use). The engine break in period is dependent on manufacturer a lot of times (depends how tight everything is), but if it does not say in the manual, id recommend take keeping it below 5k for the GX. It is recommended that you not do "highway miles" because when breaking in an engine, you do not want it to rev at one RPM, but a range of them. So if you use it on the highway rev it up and dont keep the revs too constant. At around 1500 miles and for the first oil change in any car, I recommend using mineral oil to flush ur engine out to get all the metal pieces out of ur oil system (do not drive with mineral oil), then doing a normal oil change (my SC likes Mobil 1 synthetic). Hope this helps.
Old 07-29-03, 02:03 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

Originally posted by hipcheck
Tires and brakes are 200 miles (always a good thing) The engine doesn't have a break-in that I've heard of (like the BMWs I've owned), but I still avoided real hard acceleration for 500 miles. I've read many articles on how newer engines don't need the traditional break-in periods.
Some engines are tested to see if they run and have proper compression from the factory, and some cars even test driven, but not for many miles. Some engines/transmissions are built tighter than others. For example, Subaru engines are built VERY tight and take around 2000 miles to break in. After this break in period they have been dyno proven to make up to 20hp more. Also, there gearboxes are really tight for thousands of miles until they loosen up. Just to be safe id always recommend breaking it in yourself just to be safe.
Old 07-29-03, 02:27 PM
brent0226
Driver

Originally posted by matt7184
Some engines are tested to see if they run and have proper compression from the factory, and some cars even test driven, but not for many miles. Some engines/transmissions are built tighter than others. For example, Subaru engines are built VERY tight and take around 2000 miles to break in. After this break in period they have been dyno proven to make up to 20hp more. Also, there gearboxes are really tight for thousands of miles until they loosen up. Just to be safe id always recommend breaking it in yourself just to be safe.
Thanks
Old 07-29-03, 03:11 PM
hipcheck
Driver School Candidate

My favorites Click and Clack just discusses this very issue. They said the break-in period was an older thing to allow seals to set. They feel newer engines are built well enough that the traditional break-in concept is done. They recommend varied speeds for a little while, but have told people not to sweat it as much as the old days.
Old 07-29-03, 10:51 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

Originally posted by hipcheck
My favorites Click and Clack just discusses this very issue. They said the break-in period was an older thing to allow seals to set. They feel newer engines are built well enough that the traditional break-in concept is done. They recommend varied speeds for a little while, but have told people not to sweat it as much as the old days.
If i had time to waste id write them.
Not arguing with you (more like click and clack =P) but dyno numbers dont lie. Guess theyve never seen some first oil changes and the metal in them. Not only does ur engine need to break in but the rest of your transmission also. I mean if you dont want to break in your engine that's your own fault, it wont kill the engine, but the engine will not run optimally. It doesnt have anything to do with how well an engine is built, it has to do with how tight the tolerances are. Not only that but besides the whole piston rings/sealing issue, there isnt a way to break in the cylinder walls without running the engine at variable speeds (pistons do not run up and down throught he cylinder, but rather at slight angles due to the camshaft).
Old 07-29-03, 11:00 PM
brent0226
Driver

If i had time to waste id write them.
Not arguing with you (more like click and clack =P) but dyno numbers dont lie. Guess theyve never seen some first oil changes and the metal in them. Not only does ur engine need to break in but the rest of your transmission also. I mean if you dont want to break in your engine that's your own fault, it wont kill the engine, but the engine will not run optimally. It doesnt have anything to do with how well an engine is built, it has to do with how tight the tolerances are. Not only that but besides the whole piston rings/sealing issue, there isnt a way to break in the cylinder walls without running the engine at variable speeds (pistons do not run up and down throught he cylinder, but rather at slight angles due to the camshaft).
My mom's a speed demon, and with about 200 miles on the clock she took the engine to 4.5k. Ouch.

Each time the revs climb I smell a sort of burning smell. Is that normal?
Old 07-30-03, 12:43 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

Originally posted by brent0226
My mom's a speed demon, and with about 200 miles on the clock she took the engine to 4.5k. Ouch.

Each time the revs climb I smell a sort of burning smell. Is that normal?
Even redlining it a little shouldnt cause a major problem just dont do it much if at all when breaking in the car. Burning smells are never normal, but it may be due to the car breaking in and the ECU adjusting its fuel maps (my SC400 does this when I reset my computer and runs rich for first few miles). I'd take the car to the dealer and let them know because it may be an electrical problem and you dont want you car to catch on fire, esp. with you in it
Old 07-30-03, 01:49 PM
brent0226
Driver

Even redlining it a little shouldnt cause a major problem just dont do it much if at all when breaking in the car. Burning smells are never normal, but it may be due to the car breaking in and the ECU adjusting its fuel maps (my SC400 does this when I reset my computer and runs rich for first few miles). I'd take the car to the dealer and let them know because it may be an electrical problem and you dont want you car to catch on fire, esp. with you in it
I'll have to bring it to their attention at the 1000 mile checkup