GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DVD Override and Pictures!

Old 07-23-13, 06:49 AM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
Well three days now no one answered me. I know its an old thread but I am sure I am not the only 2004 gx470 owner that wanted to do the dvd bi-pass. Would really appreciate a members help or point me in the right direction.

I am very active on the sc430 forum and I try and help when ever I can.

Buddy
I guess not that many GX owners have done that mod. It is a lot easier press on screen.
Old 07-23-13, 07:21 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tz693
I guess not that many GX owners have done that mod. It is a lot easier press on screen.

I was asking about the DVD bi Pass not the navigation override!
Old 03-19-15, 05:26 PM
Levin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very thankful for people like the OP for sharing this knowledge.

I've been trying to find a lockpick mainly just for the video feature. Unfortunately they're not available anymore. Good to know their is still a way though.

If anyone has a lockpick for the 470 available please PM me.
Old 08-22-15, 11:33 AM
romkab
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone had experience in replacing a touchscreen that cracked? Puling the unit out of the dash is pretty straightforward, but have you guys bought screens online, ebay or aliexpress? TFT screens cost peanuts to make. Looking for your expert opinions. Thank you!
Old 10-06-16, 03:50 PM
KillaLax
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsmiles1
Below pictures are of the wires I cut. First of all I cut my wires very far from the white Navigation plug. The original post mentioned to cut close to the plug, but I decided to cut very far away from the plug so that if the Lexus technician go searching far an issue with the Navigation system or radio he does not notice any strange wires close to the Navigation screen. Please pay attention to which green wire you cut. There are several light and dark green wires in the plug closes to the driver side. Cut the light green wire with the brown rings or dots.

You will need to purchase some butt splice or twist connectors for 18-22 gauge wires in addition to five 18-22 guage wires of 24" to 32" in length. I bought a cable that had 4 wires in it and 1 extra wire to run the ground wire.
Thank you so much for your DETAILEDpictures and descriptions. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you, but it was a super easy install. The mod works perfectly, thanks to the diagram for hooking the wires to the switch, and for pointing out what the light green wire with brown spots looks like. It works perfectly for a 2007 GX470. I'm a new (used) owner, but I'm loving it none-the-less. Badass truck.
Old 01-01-18, 02:06 PM
takaiguchi
Driver School Candidate

Default Perfect on a 2005 sport

thank you!
Old 01-01-18, 04:43 PM
ArmyVette
Driver School Candidate

I am very new here and new to Lexus. I have a 2007 GX470 that I purchased from the original owner in pristine condition. I love nice vehicles. My other car is a C5 supercharged Corvette but I love driving my Lexus. Thank you for the detailed instructions on how to make the DVD video work while in motion. My passengers will greatly appreciate it. I have one question. Does installing an add on SiriusXM radio tuner that integrates perfectly into the display affect any of these instructions? I'm looking at installing a VAIS SL3SAT-L with tuner kit to seamlessly integrate into the Lexus audio/video system. I have the Mark Levinson audio/video option. I want to be certain that everything works perfectly and DVD video will play while driving. Again, thank you for these detailed instructions and if anyone has anything to add to what I want to do I really appreciate it. Sorry I'm a noob here but this looks like a great forum for Lexus owners. Hello and Happy New Year to everyone. My name is Tony.
Old 01-03-18, 12:39 AM
dahoseman
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the Beat-Sonic NT0201 Navigation and DVD Control Bypass Module Combo. They include instructions, but they don't seem to jive with my 2004 GX470 (navigation, DVD/Mark Levenson, KDSS). I can't figure out where to actually connect in the bypass adapters.

I had my dash apart looking for the Navigation lockout harness ("Navigation Controller" on instructions), which it shows behind and between the head unit/navi screen and glove box. I did, however, find two different harnesses on the back of the navigation screen and the clock/panel which allow the "TV controller" DVD bypass adapter harness to plug in. Neither location had any effect when I plugged in the DVD bypass and drove it around to check out if that would do anything with the navigation lockout.

Similarly, when looking for the location to plug in the DVD bypass (TV Controller), I couldn't find the location of the plug. The instruction show it as one of the harnesses into the DVD/Navi unit under the passenger seat. I didn't find any harnesses that matched it there. I looked around under the dash and behind the glovebox to see if I had them switched, but no dice.

​​​​​​​Any information would be helpful.
Old 01-03-18, 05:36 AM
ArmyVette
Driver School Candidate

Smile back to the beginning

Go back to the beginning of this thread and there are simple instructions on how to bypass navigation for DVD play while in motion. There is no need for a module in our first generation GX470 if I read it all correctly and this is what you are trying to achieve. Please forgive me if I'm wrong in either case. I've only had my Lexus less than two weeks and I just joined here a few days ago.I have the Mark Levinson audio/video package as well and I hope the detailed instructions at the beginning of this thread work for this package because I've only read a little of the instructions. I'm further complicating my bypass because I want to add the VAIS SLSAT3-L SiriusXM integrated interface and tuner. I'm fairly sure that I can put a switch on the wire that "tells" the screen that the vehicle is in motion and denies DVD video while in motion but again, there's a step by step set of instructions at the very beginning of this thread with pictures.
Old 01-05-18, 12:54 PM
dahoseman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ArmyVette
Go back to the beginning of this thread and there are simple instructions on how to bypass navigation for DVD play while in motion. There is no need for a module in our first generation GX470 if I read it all correctly and this is what you are trying to achieve. Please forgive me if I'm wrong in either case. I've only had my Lexus less than two weeks and I just joined here a few days ago.I have the Mark Levinson audio/video package as well and I hope the detailed instructions at the beginning of this thread work for this package because I've only read a little of the instructions. I'm further complicating my bypass because I want to add the VAIS SLSAT3-L SiriusXM integrated interface and tuner. I'm fairly sure that I can put a switch on the wire that "tells" the screen that the vehicle is in motion and denies DVD video while in motion but again, there's a step by step set of instructions at the very beginning of this thread with pictures.
I was hoping to do both the DVD override and feature-lockout override. My main goal is to be able to use features in the head unit an navigation that get locked out when the vehicle is in motion. It's really annoying that I have to pull the vehicle over and come to a stop just to allow my passenger to adjust things or change settings. I had this experience several weeks ago on a long road trip. I had to pull over on the side of the interstate 3 times to allow my buddy in the passenger seat to get into some of the locked out features so we could set up some phone pairings and other adjustments. Ironically, it seems far more dangerous for us to have to stop on the side of the interstate than to allow adjustments.
Old 01-05-18, 01:15 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dahoseman
I was hoping to do both the DVD override and feature-lockout override. My main goal is to be able to use features in the head unit an navigation that get locked out when the vehicle is in motion. It's really annoying that I have to pull the vehicle over and come to a stop just to allow my passenger to adjust things or change settings. I had this experience several weeks ago on a long road trip. I had to pull over on the side of the interstate 3 times to allow my buddy in the passenger seat to get into some of the locked out features so we could set up some phone pairings and other adjustments. Ironically, it seems far more dangerous for us to have to stop on the side of the interstate than to allow adjustments.
I have a 2004 gx470 mark levinson and also factory rear entertainment with dvd player, I did the mod to be able to watch dvd while car is in motion . AS far as I know there was no way to bypass the navigation so you could enter info while moving There is a override available by using the hidden screen taps to get to the override but once you turn car off you will have to do same procedure to override nav. I installed the vias module so I could blue tooth my I phone music and that works fine
Old 01-13-18, 11:46 PM
dahoseman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrblister
I have a 2004 gx470 mark levinson and also factory rear entertainment with dvd player, I did the mod to be able to watch dvd while car is in motion . AS far as I know there was no way to bypass the navigation so you could enter info while moving There is a override available by using the hidden screen taps to get to the override but once you turn car off you will have to do same procedure to override nav. I installed the vias module so I could blue tooth my I phone music and that works fine
Supposedly, that is what this plug-n-play module does so that you don't have to cut/splice wires or do the same procedure over-and-over. I haven't gotten it to work correctly, though.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beat-son...ss-module.html
Old 01-14-18, 09:10 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

When I was looked no into this the only option that vias had was the unit I did buy that gave me the Bluetooth option but no ability to over ride the navigation the unit does get rid of the agree screen this was for my 2004 gx470
I also have a 2005 sc430 and I did buy beatsonics kit to allow me to over ride my phone so I could make calls and use all phone Bluetooth options while moving I did get instructions later on how to over ride navigation but I had to cut a wire behind the navigation and install a switch to allow me to engage the wire with the switch and disconnect the switch this works fine to overuse navigation but after approx 3 minute it defaults backI just press my switch again and I get another 3 minutes . If you search on the sc430 forum you will find the info about this
Old 07-30-18, 09:22 AM
Jeremyaudr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Works 2008

Just did on 2008 Gx470 Mark Levinson with navigation. Works just as described. No issues other than was looking at the tape deck connector initially and colors were not right. Found correct connectors on nav screen and works fine. On 2008 use nav connector closest to steering wheel. Thanks