GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DVD Override and Pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-03, 07:26 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also one comment the violet wire with the red stripe is not as apparent as one might think. It is more of a violet wire with lighter color stripe (like a pinkish) at least on mine. It also has a dotted white on it.
Old 06-30-03, 07:29 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH THE WOOD PANELS. My drivers side wood panel began cracking on the right inside near the vent. There is a crease/carck mark but because it is on the side it is not noticeable. I lucked out.

Be careful and pull the panel from the bottom and gently ease it farther and farther up. If you must favor a side, (left/right) favor the left side as it is stronger.
Old 08-19-03, 02:56 PM
mitsu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey mogulbumm, have a question for you........

Did you notice whether or not the individual pins can be disengaged from the harness/plug?

If so, this would be a great alternative to cutting the wires.

Please let us know.
Old 08-19-03, 05:04 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Originally posted by mitsu
Hey mogulbumm, have a question for you........

Did you notice whether or not the individual pins can be disengaged from the harness/plug?

If so, this would be a great alternative to cutting the wires.

Please let us know.
I didn't want to disconnect everything, so I didn't have much working room to see. There is always a chance that when you remove a pin something breaks and it doesn't go back in all the way (and hence doesn't make the original connection as well). You also need to cut the speed sensor if you want to use the switch to set it back to default (i.e. if somebody else is using your car and you don't want them trying to watch a DVD and drive).

I guess anyhing is possible. It was just a lot quicker to cut the wires and then splice them back when I return my lease.
Old 08-26-03, 04:06 PM
kimberlyk2
Driver School Candidate

Can this be done on an RX330 too?

(I must give you a second kudos for EXCELLENT documentation!)
Old 09-12-03, 07:22 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Since Lexus probably uses the same NAV unit on both the RX330 and the GX, I'm sure the modification is almost identical... I can't verify for certain though.
Old 11-11-03, 02:34 PM
jeffdlee
Driver School Candidate

Default Will this work for 2004 LX470?

I was told by my salesman that Lexus made some changes to the 2004 models to keep people from bypassing the safety features. Does anyone know if this is true?

I printed out the instructions from this thread, and I am going to take them my installer who is installing an auto start this week. I thought I would let him do this also if it will work for the 2004 model.

Thanks for any replies.
Old 11-12-03, 07:10 PM
jeffdlee
Driver School Candidate

Default DOES NOT WORK ON 2004 LX470

MY INSTALLER HERE IN HUNSTVILLE SAID THAT THIS DOES NOT WORK FOR THE 04 LX470. THEY HAD TAKEN EVERYTHING OUT AND THE WIRES DID NOT MATCH UP. HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE.
Old 11-12-03, 07:43 PM
DSW
Driver School Candidate

They are different wires on the LX470. I found the following online. Not sure what year though. if the following instructions are not good for the 2004, you can do a search on ebay for "lexus override".
There is a seller there called "doctorbypass" that sells relay type bypasses. Not really sure what the relay is needed for.

Carefully remove the center dash display cover panel (black or wood grain) from the multi display/radio (use the rounded end of a bottle opener to pry it gradually and gently or you will break one of the 8 locating clips) Unplug the clock connector at the bottom and set the cover aside. Remove 4 Phillips screws from Multi Display panel and balance the entire unit on the shifter. Careful not to let anything scratch the touch screen. Locate grey connector (no need to disconnect) on back of unit top row (directly inline with front side temperature up and down button) then locate VIOLET wire, cut it about 2 inches from connector and tape off the two cut ends. (This eliminates the speed signal turning off the video) Next locate red/white wire in same connector and also cut it BUT leave about 4 or 5 inches or so of wire remaining at the connector side. NEXT strip ½ inch of this red/white wire going into display and ground it to anything metal. I used the metal bracket that the display screws to. (This simulates the ground signal from the emergency brake lever on position)IMPORTANT!! Ground the portion of the red and white wire that is still connected to the multi display NOT the end that disappears into vehicles wire harness (that wire just tape up and leave) Reinstall multi display with 4 screws carefully guiding all the wires back into the recess. Re-attach the clock connector and then the front cover, reset clock and enjoy (CAREFULLY) video on the move.
Also if you don’t like how your touch screen looks when it is off (lots of smudge marks and finger prints) there is a simple fix. Get a cotton ball and soak it with rubbing alcohol and do just that RUB. There is a glue residue on the screen from where the factor sticks on a protective sheet. When the sheet is peeled away at vehicle delivery the glue remains and makes the display look scratched and dirty after just a little use. It will take you a good ½ hour to gently but thoroughly clean the screen but the resulting crystal clean image is worth the effort. Only use a cotton ball and only use rubbing alcohol.
Please email me when you watch your first movie on the go sdv@qwest.net
Old 12-09-03, 06:21 AM
wag100
Driver School Candidate

Default DVD Override

Anyone have any idea where to find override info for a 2004 GX?
Old 12-09-03, 07:13 AM
DSW
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: DVD Override

Originally posted by wag100
Anyone have any idea where to find override info for a 2004 GX?
Isn't it the same as the 2003?
Old 01-01-04, 02:22 PM
Randy20g
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just followed the exact same procedure on my 2004 9700C. It works fine.

3SCC5
Attached Thumbnails DVD Override and Pictures!-dvd-override-003small.jpg  

Last edited by Randy20g; 01-14-12 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-02-04, 05:07 AM
rizman
Driver School Candidate

Default Not for me

I have posted this before on other forums, but I can;t even get to play a DVD in park mode. I have a 2004 with 9700C. I have pressed the DISC button, am parked with the parking break up. Any thoughts.
Old 01-02-04, 06:14 AM
slavik
Driver School Candidate

rizman,

Are you sure your RSES is not an aftermarket one - my dealer has told me that they do install the aftermarket system which is almost identical to the factory one - the only difference is an ability to play DVDs on the navigation screen.

The factory RSES should be listed on the sticker and on the invoice as " RI Entertainment System, Rear Seat, Includes (2) Headphones. 1,560"

Last edited by slavik; 01-02-04 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-02-04, 06:17 AM
rizman
Driver School Candidate

Default Sorry

I am talking about the issue of playing DVD on the NAV screen. I hope thats what everybody has been discussing under this thread......

Quick Reply: DVD Override and Pictures!