GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear Entertainment and Various

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-03, 08:43 PM
pamj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Entertainment and Various

Yes, this is another one of those “we’re on the verge of purchasing the truck, but…” posts. Thanks in advance for bearing with us and for any insight provided.

We’re mainly tied up over the rear entertainment system. We’d like to wait and go with an aftermarket system, for a couple of reasons. One, we have a newborn daughter and any entertainment system will basically be useless for her for at least several months. Two, it looks like you can’t get a truck with the rear entertainment option that doesn’t also include LexusLink, and we just don’t feel we need it.

Maybe I’m just being dense, but it was unclear to me from previous threads on aftermarket entertainment systems whether or not we’d be giving up anything by foregoing the factory installed system. For example, one early thread seemed to indicate that we couldn’t integrate with the Levinson system. On the other hand, another thread seemed to say that all the trucks were pre-wired for rear entertainment, which led us to believe we could in fact go with an aftermarket and still tie into the factory stereo system. Any insight into this either way? Is there any other integration we’d be giving up by going aftermarket, or any other considerations or shortcomings we should be taking into account?

Similarly, we’re still bothered by the lack of rear sensing technology, e.g., rear camera or rear sensing system. Any comments on the feasibility of adding an aftermarket rear camera or other rear sensing system?

Of course, all the discussions on vibration issues various people have been experiencing have us concerned as well, but we’re trusting that Lexus will address the issue appropriately.

Thanks Everyone!
Old 06-05-03, 06:36 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rear Entertainment and Various

Originally posted by pamj
Yes, this is another one of those “we’re on the verge of purchasing the truck, but…” posts. Thanks in advance for bearing with us and for any insight provided.

We’re mainly tied up over the rear entertainment system. We’d like to wait and go with an aftermarket system, for a couple of reasons. One, we have a newborn daughter and any entertainment system will basically be useless for her for at least several months. Two, it looks like you can’t get a truck with the rear entertainment option that doesn’t also include LexusLink, and we just don’t feel we need it.

Maybe I’m just being dense, but it was unclear to me from previous threads on aftermarket entertainment systems whether or not we’d be giving up anything by foregoing the factory installed system. For example, one early thread seemed to indicate that we couldn’t integrate with the Levinson system. On the other hand, another thread seemed to say that all the trucks were pre-wired for rear entertainment, which led us to believe we could in fact go with an aftermarket and still tie into the factory stereo system. Any insight into this either way? Is there any other integration we’d be giving up by going aftermarket, or any other considerations or shortcomings we should be taking into account?

Similarly, we’re still bothered by the lack of rear sensing technology, e.g., rear camera or rear sensing system. Any comments on the feasibility of adding an aftermarket rear camera or other rear sensing system?

Of course, all the discussions on vibration issues various people have been experiencing have us concerned as well, but we’re trusting that Lexus will address the issue appropriately.

Thanks Everyone!
pamj,

Welcome to ClubLexus!

Those are definitely things to consider, but I can't imagine that the technology will change significantly on the DVD system other than the availability of possible a bigger screen. On that topic, even though I know alot of people will say it costs more...when in doubt go factory installed....unless of course you are planning some elaborate sound system with additional video monitors, but I'm guessing no.

As far as the Lexus Link component of that goes, I was told that the whole Lexus Link package was being deleted from GX's and only going to be available on the ULTRA package LS430...mainly because no one was renewing their contracts after the "free" period was up...I think it was like $400 a year or something.

Not too sure about the integtration of a Levinson system with an aftermarket video set up, my guess would be even tough it is setup they will have most likely used proprietary connectors that aren't readily available in the aftermarket shops just yet or even in the near future.

If you want the rear camera and can wait it will be available in '04, not sure if that means early '04 or not, but definitely '04.

As far as the vibration issue goes it seems like it is hit or miss, as I told another member this was also a problem in the 98-99 GS, apparently there was a natural harmonic that caused the vibration at 45, 60 and 80 mph, that was mitigated somewhat by the tightening of a steering pretensioner. Additionally, you need to realize you are driving a "truck" and they come with bigger tires, bigger tires that are not speed rated, and not likely scrutinized as much as a high performance tire rated at over 150mph. This means that they have different tolerances with respect to composition, and in many cases are more difficult to balance as well as other passenger car tires, this will certainly contribute to any vibration issues...in ANY vehicle. ALong those same lines at least one other member has stated that when he upgraded to a set of new rims and tires he had no vibration issues.

Good Luck with your decision and hope the info helps.
Old 06-05-03, 06:48 AM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up my GX Monday and LOVE it. We have a little girl due any day, so I admit that the RSES was not solely just for her. In my opinion, it would not cost much less to have an aftermarket unit installed and you simply would not have everything integrated into the factory system as nicely. I love the fact that the rear passengers can also see the NAV screen on the back and have full control over their own AV choices.

Regarding the Lexus link, I don't think that they include it anymore as a standard item "linked" to other packages. I did not special order my GX, but rather chose one of the many my dealer already had coming. It is loaded with Mark Levinson, RSES, NAV, Tow Package, Spoiler, Cargo Mat and Net, but NO Lexus link (which I was happy about since I would not use it either).

Regarding the lack of rear camera/sensor - we all simply have to remember that just a year or two ago, almost NO vehicles had this. My GOD, what did we ever do then? I would also have liked to have it, but lets be real... I have not had it in any of my past 10 vehicles and it really is not a deal breaker. For about $150, you can add a nice after-market rear sensor if you want.

Regarding the vibration... I have to struggle to feel any vibration or noise at all in my GX. I can't tell if people are just being picky or if there really is an issue that Lexus cannot figure out. I personally can't feel it at any speed or RPM level. If you look at the Lexus track record, they are still rated number 1 relating to both the fewest number of problems per vehicle and the best customer service in the industry. If you want to see some annoying design flaws in a vehicle, visit the Volvo XC90 forum at www.swedespeed.com . This was one of my choices for a new SUV and they are having issues ranging from the stereo cutting out to shifting hesitation to water getting caught in the door during heavy rain.

I have faith that Lexus will resolve any recurring issue in this vehicle. For pete's sake, it's only been on the road for a few months! After just a few days, I am confident that there is not another SUV on the road in this price range that compares with it with overall comfort, features, and quality.

Good luck on your decision!
Old 06-06-03, 10:49 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by mogulbumm
Regarding the vibration... I have to struggle to feel any vibration or noise at all in my GX. I can't tell if people are just being picky or if there really is an issue that Lexus cannot figure out. I personally can't feel it at any speed or RPM level. If you look at the Lexus track record, they are still rated number 1 relating to both the fewest number of problems per vehicle and the best customer service in the industry. If you want to see some annoying design flaws in a vehicle, visit the Volvo XC90 forum at www.swedespeed.com . This was one of my choices for a new SUV and they are having issues ranging from the stereo cutting out to shifting hesitation to water getting caught in the door during heavy rain.

Good luck on your decision!
I also don't feel the vibration or if I do it doesn't bother me.
Old 06-06-03, 10:53 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rear Entertainment and Various

Originally posted by pamj
For example, one early thread seemed to indicate that we couldn’t integrate with the Levinson system. On the other hand, another thread seemed to say that all the trucks were pre-wired for rear entertainment, which led us to believe we could in fact go with an aftermarket and still tie into the factory stereo system. Any insight into this either way? Is there any other integration we’d be giving up by going aftermarket, or any other considerations or shortcomings we should be taking into account?Thanks Everyone!
The trucks are not all prewired for the Rear Entertainment System. The wiring harness is not run from the ceiling headliner to the center nav console to the center compartment (between the seats). But if you went aftermarket, you really wouldn't need it anyway. No aftermarket DVD system will tie into the front navigation screen therefore you wouldn't be able to use Lexus's wiring harness anyway.

I am currently looking to buy the RRES and have all but one ECU part. Soon I hope to install the Lexus DVD unit in my GX. But it has been a serious battle to get these parts and I'm not out of the woods yet.