GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

'04 GX Changes

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-03, 12:40 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '04 GX Changes

Hey gang I GOT NEWS!

Nothing major planned for '04, but here's what I heard

1) Rear-view camera (like on the RX330)
2) different style wheels (no factory 18" still)
3) change in the suspension calling it a "kinetic" suspension (no details just that)

No HIDS, no change to the rear door. No news about vibration (although maybe the kinetic thing addresses that) and no news on the GVWR.
Old 04-29-03, 02:32 PM
donaldak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife is going to be annoyed as she really liked rear view camera on the RX330 and the Acura MDX . We were told that the GX would not get it until after the 2004 model year.

I found this link about kinetic suspension. It looks like it is a patented technology that adds hydraulics to pneumatic suspension systems to improve extreme terrain traction.

http://www.ecars.com.au/Suspension/Kinetic.html

Any news of when the 6500lb receiver hitch is going to be available? The website and brochure say early 2003, but I can not find one and the dealer says he has no knowledge of one being made available to him. All of the well known hitch manufaturers (Drawtite, Hiddenhitch, etc) are not able to give me a production date either.
Old 04-29-03, 03:29 PM
rbridges
Driver School Candidate

I was hoping you'd have news on the GVWR. The rearview camera will be nice.

BTW, has anybody heard that lexus will find an additional pound on the '04?
Old 04-29-03, 04:57 PM
calvis
Driver School Candidate

Yes, we need an update on the GVWR for the 2004 model! Johnny Mo, ask your source about the GVWR.

Calvis
Old 04-29-03, 07:49 PM
Yumla
Driver School Candidate

Technically, if you have NAV system it shouldn't be that hard to install rear-view camera on 03'GX. I wonder how long it will be before there is some an after market setup available?
Old 04-29-03, 08:55 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

There is already an aftermarket camera setup... looks pretty easy to install and it pretty inexpensive. Do a search for GX470 on eBay and you should see them.
Old 04-30-03, 05:23 AM
lexusnc
Driver

mogulbumm,

Can you post a link, I did the search with no luck.........I would realy be interested in a camera....Thanks
Old 04-30-03, 06:37 AM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Originally posted by lexusnc
mogulbumm,

Can you post a link, I did the search with no luck.........I would realy be interested in a camera....Thanks
Oops, the cameras must have ended already. Here is a backup sensor that will work:

GX470 Backup Sensor - eBay

I've seen some other aftermarket stuff that ties into the reverse lights to trigger the camera and jumps inline with the video. There are a few posts in the electronics section as well. Check out this one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=camera

It is a fairly basic install and I would guess that you can get one installed at any competent audio shop for <$400 (including the camera). You can get decent cameras for $100 if you wanted to attempt the mount yourself.

Personally, I may just go for a rear bumper guard
Old 04-30-03, 06:54 AM
JocDoc
Driver School Candidate

There is some info on rear the rear camera installation and hardware in the IS-300 section of the forums. I've discussed this with my local Circuit City auto stereo installer and he says it's not a really big deal.

Ed
Old 05-02-03, 06:15 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not documented what will switch the GX video system over to another source. Though there are source inputs on the NAV, switching it is controlled by a body control modual. The factory DVD system for example comes with another small computer module that can activate this and switch it over.

I am currently working with someone and they have purchased the factory DVD system to determine exactly what signalling needs to be provided to the Nav systems to switch the video over.

There is that one company nav-video.com (if I have the name right) that works with GS, LX and IS models). They bypass the ICU systems and send the video direct. But they have not confirmed they work with the new RX, GX and also the new Toyota Sienna uses similar technology. Until you can get this confirmed I would hold off.
Old 05-02-03, 07:39 AM
mogulbumm
Rookie

If there is a single video input to the factory NAV screen, you don't need any computer mods to get the display to change. For example, I've spoken previously with Dimitry at Video-Nav and his product basically reroutes the video signal going to the NAV screen through a switcher then back to the screen.

Doing this will intercept the signal when you need it to. If you could hook a camera up this way so that the cam will intercept the signal (i.e. when triggered by the reverse lights), it would work fine. It is not a difficult product and the video-nav system will most likely work (though you may not need the other inputs).

When I take delivery of my GX I'll check out the inputs on the NAV screen to see.