GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Setting the door lock function

Old 11-02-07, 01:35 PM
brickauto
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've successfully disabled the all door autolock feature in my GX, thanks for this great FAQ!

This thread should be a STICKY!
Old 05-14-09, 03:31 PM
TNGUYEN571
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kbach
Got this fron the dealer the other day. You can set the following auto door locking and unlocking functions. All times must be EXACT or it will not work.

(a) Locking linked with the shift position

All the dooor are locked automatically when the selector lever is moved out of the "P" position with the ignition switch in the "ON" position. This is suppose to be the default setting for new vehicles.

(b) Unlocking linked with the shift position

All the door are unlocked automatically when the selector lever is moved to the "P" position with the switch in the "ON" position.

(c) Locking linked with the vehicle speed

All the doors are automatically locked when the vehicle speed reached 12 mph or higher. However, if any door is unlocked during driving, the auto function will not operate until the unlocked door is opened once.

(d) All the doors are unlocked automatically when the driver's door is opened within 10 seconds after the ignition switch is turned from "ON" to the "ACC" or "LOCK" position.

Setting the functions
1. Close all the doors.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position.
3. Within 10 seconds after the ignition switch is turned to the "ON" position;
+To set function (a)
Push and hold the front of the power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector lever in the "P" position.
+To set function (b)
Push and hold the rear of the power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector switch in the "P" position.
+To set fuction (c)
Push and hold the front of the power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector switch in any position except "P".
+To set function (d)
Push and hold the rear of the power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector switch in any position except "P".

All the doors are automatically locked and unlocked when you release the power door lock switch. This indicates that the functions is set. If all the doors do not lock and unlock, the time the switch was held may have been too short or too long. Perform the procedure over again starting at step 1.

If you want to cancel a function, repeat the procedure. Each time you perform the procedure, the function is set or cancelled.
Thank you for the great information.
Old 12-21-09, 11:23 AM
agood1
Rookie

This should be a sticky!
Old 11-02-11, 04:26 AM
ncphoto
Driver School Candidate

Works great as directed, but does anyone know how to:

All the door are unlocked automatically when the selector lever is moved to the "P" position with the switch in the "OFF" position only.
In other words if the vehicle is still running, I don't want them to unlock with the kids in the back.

Thanks
Old 11-02-11, 12:39 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ncphoto

All the door are unlocked automatically when the selector lever is moved to the "P" position with the switch in the "OFF" position only.
In other words if the vehicle is still running, I don't want them to unlock with the kids in the back.

Thanks
I agree with that, I made it so that doors unlock only when i take the key out and open my door, the rest automatically unlock. Have to open your door within 10 secs of removing the key.
Old 11-02-11, 12:56 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks

You could just engage the child locks in door jamb when desired to accomplish this as the vehicle can't determine if/when kids are/are not in back.

Old 11-07-11, 05:53 AM
ncphoto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
You could just engage the child locks in door jamb when desired to accomplish this as the vehicle can't determine if/when kids are/are not in back.

Yes that would work, but we do have adults in the back as well at times. I just thought there was a solution to when you removed the key all the doors would unlock. My GMC does that, guess Lexus did not have that feature in 03 - 04. But, I'll just leave it to when I open my door they unlock. That work as well.

Thank all!
Old 11-07-11, 05:56 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Yes that would work, but we do have adults in the back as well at times. I just thought there was a solution to when you removed the key all the doors would unlock. My GMC does that, guess Lexus did not have that feature in 03 - 04. But, I'll just leave it to when I open my door they unlock. That work as well.

Thank all!
although you cannot set it to unlock when you remove the key, you can set it to unlock when you put it in park
Old 01-07-12, 09:29 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally!!! I almost went to the dealer to get rid of the annoying auto lock function. It had bothered me for just over a year since I got the car. Now I can enjoy the normal way of living
Thanks for the post!

I also would like to know if there is a home remedy for getting all doors unlockd at the same time with a single press of a key button, or I have to go to a dealer for that?
Old 01-08-12, 08:10 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by Globalinx
Finally!!! I almost went to the dealer to get rid of the annoying auto lock function. It had bothered me for just over a year since I got the car. Now I can enjoy the normal way of living
Thanks for the post!

I also would like to know if there is a home remedy for getting all doors unlockd at the same time with a single press of a key button, or I have to go to a dealer for that?
Don't think so, that feature works that way across the industry, don't want to let a stranger in any of the other doors while you are getting in the car.
Old 03-13-15, 09:39 PM
fjc32
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kbach
Got this fron the dealer the other day. You can set the following auto door locking and unlocking functions. All times must be EXACT or it will not work.

(a) Locking linked with the shift position

All the dooor are locked automatically when the selector lever is moved out of the "P" position with the ignition switch in the "ON" position. This is suppose to be the default setting for new vehicles.

All the door are unlocked automatically when the selector lever is moved to the "P" position with the switch in the "ON" position.

(c) Locking linked with the vehicle speed

All the doors are automatically locked when the vehicle speed reached 12 mph or higher. However, if any door is unlocked during driving, the auto function will not operate until the unlocked door is opened once.

(d) All the doors are unlocked automatically when the driver's door is opened within 10 seconds after the ignition switch is turned from "ON" to the "ACC" or "LOCK" position.

Setting the functions
1. Close all the doors.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position.
3. Within 10 seconds after the ignition switch is turned to the "ON" position;
+To set function (a)
Push and hold the front of the power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector lever in the "P" position.
+To set function (b)
Push and hold the rear of the power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector switch in the "P" position.
+To set fuction (c)
Push and hold the front of the power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector switch in any position except "P".
+To set function (d)
Push and hold the rear of the power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector switch in any position except "P".

All the doors are automatically locked and unlocked when you release the power door lock switch. This indicates that the functions is set. If all the doors do not lock and unlock, the time the switch was held may have been too short or too long. Perform the procedure over again starting at step 1.

If you want to cancel a function, repeat the procedure. Each time you perform the procedure, the function is set or cancelled.
Thank you.

I just bought my neighbor's 04 GX. I could not believe for 11 yrs that he did not look into this. Every door was locked and needed to be forced open by door handle. My 14 GX does unlock all doors when shift into P. I thought the 04 was broken. I also went to the dealer to have the steering wheel retract taken out, and one button unlock all doors programed. It was free.

The only thing I may add is using the stop watch function on your iphone to get exactly 5 sec. I tried one thousand one ... That did not work.
Old 03-14-15, 06:55 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm very happy with the "auto lock with lever out of P, and unlock with lever back to P". However, I guess there's no diy for unlocking all doors at once from remote. That calls for a trip to the dealer, I guess.
Old 03-14-15, 11:04 PM
holycowe
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NTH
I'm very happy with the "auto lock with lever out of P, and unlock with lever back to P". However, I guess there's no diy for unlocking all doors at once from remote. That calls for a trip to the dealer, I guess.
Press the remote once, driver door unlock. Press it twice, all doors unlock. That's what I have on our rx330 and gx470
Old 03-15-15, 04:34 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by holycowe
Press the remote once, driver door unlock. Press it twice, all doors unlock. That's what I have on our rx330 and gx470
That's pretty standard on all of them. I was referring to unlocking all from one press.
Old 09-09-15, 05:47 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

So to disable the feature of autolocking, do you go to the follow procedure (a) once more?
I am thinking to just disable the locking and unlocking together.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Setting the door lock function