GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Anyone buy a remanuf Denso alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-16, 03:45 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Question Anyone buy a remanuf Denso alternator?

After over 10 yrs and 125k miles my alternator has finally died.

Buying a Denso direct from a dealer is anywhere from $360 to $500. Found one at a Toyota dealer for $362 shipped, problem being I need wait for 3 days.

I can get a Denso remanufactured unit for less and a lot more quickly. Has anyone installed either a rebuilt or remanufactured Denso alternator in their GX?
Old 01-09-16, 04:47 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by LexRex
I've heard that even the Toyota-boxed ones are remans these days, though I haven't personally confirmed that. I bought a Denso off Amazon and it has been great. It wasn't until after I received it that I realized it was a reman.

I'd be interested to know if you can actually buy a real-deal brand new Denso currently.
Not sure about whether the brand new ones bought through dealers are remanufactured. Denso is still in business so I would assume they are still manufacturing alternators?

What I have read is that Denso doesn't actually remanufacture their own units, that's actually done through the resellers. Not sure if that is true or not? The risk from what I understand is that inferior components are used - not necessarily Denso - in which case it can be a crap shoot.

How many miles/years have you been running the remanufacture unit?

Incidentally I was looking at one on Amazon.

It seems the consensus online is to avoid remanufactured units.
Old 01-09-16, 05:35 PM
mswtoyota
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is anyone else having the lights (interior dome and exterior if they are on) flicker for the first 10-30 seconds after starting? It seems to stop after about 30 seconds and I have watched the voltage while it is doing this and it stays around 14VDC the entire time. Does it sound like the regulator may be dying in the alternator? Should I prepare to replace it?
Old 01-09-16, 07:01 PM
cssnms
Racer

Interestingly enough I read the following...

Originally Posted by RyanV
I used to work in the Lexus parts dept- they are all pretty much remanufactured parts now. So, if you buy a Nippondenso alternator at say rockauto.. it's essentially the same as going to lexus and paying more money.

Example below...both of these are remanned and use Nipondenso parts

DENSO Part # 2100519 Reman

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1861117 Remanufactured
AMP 100; PULLEY 6S; OE MFR: Nippondenso; VOLT 12; ROT CW; CLK 12:15; Internal Regulator (Only 2 Remaining)
Originally Posted by JayGS4
UPDATE: I've gone through 2 pepboys alternators. One of which my mechanic installed for me but as mentioned I still had the accessories shut off on me. So long story short, Pepboys agreed to install a new alternator free of charge. Everything went well on the second Pepboys alternator (performance wise- no NAV/radio shut off or battery light), but there was a loud whining/hissing noise at idle and when revving. Brought this issue up to the service & parts manager and mentioned these alternators seem to be defective as I've gone through two already.

Ended up buying an OEM Toyota re-manufactured unit from Sewell (to clarify, there was a sticker on the alternator mentioning OEM Remanufactured) for about $245 which came out cheaper than the Pepboys 'Prostart" alternator which I originally bought for $285. Pepboys swapped it out free of charge and refunded me. I have not had any issues since and everything works well.

I would have gone with the OEM part from the beginning but ordering from Sewell would take about a week when my local pepboys had them in stock. But in the future, I am only going the OEM route from now on. The rebuilt units at the auto parts stores are a hit or miss and a huge inconvenience.
So it seems the theory that most of if not all of the OEM units sold by dealers are also remanufactured. I bought the Denso off Amazon, should be here Monday - gotta luv Amazon.
Old 01-10-16, 06:07 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

why not just buy the $15 brush ring and replace it. Been doing this for years. A 91 4runner still in the family still has the original Alternator in it and has been rebuilt 4 times.
Old 01-10-16, 07:09 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Burny- could you elaborate on what an alternator rebuild consists of? Which parts are replaced? Thanks

Last edited by NTH; 01-10-16 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Sp
Old 01-10-16, 12:23 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by burny
why not just buy the $15 brush ring and replace it. Been doing this for years. A 91 4runner still in the family still has the original Alternator in it and has been rebuilt 4 times.
Have it rebuilt was my first thought, no local shops near me to do it. I also neither have the time or inclination to mess with it and I need to get it done ASAP. I am not sure my indy will do it either but I plan to ask tomorrow though to see if I can get back on the road sooner. Otherwise my new alternator will be here tomorrow and installed Tues. I do plan to keep my old one and fix what needs to be fixed just in case..
Old 01-10-16, 02:22 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My original went out around at about six years of service/75,000 miles. I too went the Pep Boys route with self-install. Something in the $100+ range with lifetime warranty. Denso box as well, but sold as a reman. It died in one year. The labor to swap again was a hassle, but the warranty worked fine. Afterwards I suspected the failure was likely contributed to by a bad battery. That alternator is well over three years in service without a problem. I have no complaints and would go this route again. No point in paying more money for what is likely a similar reman, not necessarily covered by such a generous warranty.
Old 01-10-16, 05:04 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

It is so simple. Just remove the alternator and unscrew the back cover. 2 screws hold the brush ring in. Take it out and replace with the new. You will see how much the contacts/brushes have worn down compared to the new ones. If the bearing is squeeling, you can get the alternator face plate with a new bearing already pressed in from Lexus. I just did my wifes 07 GS350 and it took less than an hour total for everything. Plenty of youtube videos out there if you google alternator rebuild
Old 01-10-16, 05:17 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

look at 3 minute mark on this video. The brush ring is usually all you have to replace. Part # 27370-58460

Look at 1:10 mark on this to see what I'm talking about on the contact wearing short. Actually you can see it right on the pic link

http://www.mylparts.com/parts/2007/L...iagram=F884000
Old 01-10-16, 07:57 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Cool. Thanks Burny!!
Old 01-12-16, 07:08 PM
cssnms
Racer

New alternator in and back on the road.

I also have my original which I work on in my spare time to to replace those parts that need replaced and will hang onto it for a spare.