GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Question on handling...OEM performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 08:54 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on handling...OEM performance

Hi All,

Have a 2005 GX470 with about 108,000 miles. From what I can see, there has been no service to the suspension (shocks/bags).

Currently the ride bounces a fair amount, and at some times the ride can be quite uncomfortable, especially over long speed bumps, and certain parts of the road. I just thought a lexus would handle the road better.

I am mainly curious if this is a normal ride, or should I look at starting to replace components, as my ride is not a normal description of this GX470 ride. I know it is a truck style, but I have been in trucks that seem to handle the road better.

Thanks for any replies.
Old 06-03-15, 09:00 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Kind of hard to be critical of a ride on of a 10 yr old truck with 108k miles that likely has original shocks and air springs. I have similar mileage and I have replaced all of the shocks and air springs. I have owned the truck since new and the ride got appreciably worse as I approached 100k miles, that was in part due to a leaking left rear air spring though.
Old 06-03-15, 09:11 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

Thanks!

Would you say go ahead and start with the rear bags, and go from there? I didn't think a bag could make that big a difference, but I guess they do. They both seem to inflate.

I would not hold it against you, just trying to figure out a decent starting point, as these parts seem to hold price so dang well.
Old 06-03-15, 09:51 AM
cssnms
Racer

The bags are pvc/rubber, they will develop leaks as they age (think dry rot). They are now over 10 yrs old (who knows when they were manufactured).

If you feel the truck bottoming out going over speed bumps etc the air springs are likely the culprit.

Let me preface and say driving around on worn out air springs or shocks for that matter could cause premature wear on either component.

If it were me, I would recommend replacing rear springs and rear shocks. Inspect the front shocks for signs of leaks and plan on doing them next year.

Check Amazon and ebay for both and have an indy install them - it will save you $'s.
Old 06-03-15, 10:48 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the shocks on these cars affect the ride quality a large amount due to the softness of the oem spring setup.
likely your shocks are tired and letting it bounce around. springs int eh front do not go bad, and the airbags in the rear do not change in quality much until they leak. you would know if you have a leaky airbag.

I wouldn't just jump to replace the bags and shocks, sounds like you need new shocks only.
and even if you do want to do the airbags later, they have nothing to do with the shocks they are completely separate on our vehicles, as in you can do just shocks and see if that does it, then do the airbags if you are still not happy. usually with the airbags though if there is a problem you would notice the ride height being uneven, especially after parking it for a few days. if its still level and where you left it after a few days, your airbags are likely good and do not need replacing.

if your car is uneven after a few days in the rear, and the compressor is always kicking on especially right after you put the key in, then yes you probably have a leaky airbag.
Old 06-03-15, 11:37 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

Can anyone comment on the full Arnott system?

I am considering the 4 shocks/struts, and either coil or bags. by Arnott.
Old 06-04-15, 04:48 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by new2012jee
Can anyone comment on the full Arnott system?

I am considering the 4 shocks/struts, and either coil or bags. by Arnott.
No experience with them, but they make air springs for Bentley's too.

Comments:

1) While you will retain the height control feature you will lose dampening feature if you use their shocks.

2) I recommend replacing he rear set in pair - you're on borrowed time. If you replace the springs, replace the rear shocks. You also might save some labor $'s too.
Old 06-04-15, 06:12 AM
jepva
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arnott does not make a real OEM replacement, they only make OEM replacement air springs and front shocks. They do not make the OEM adjustable rear shocks - it is a Bilstein conversion they are selling. The only place to get the OEM adaptive shocks is OEM supplier or Lexus dealer. I just purchased mine for $400 each on Amazon, which was the cheapest price I found anywhere.

We have a new '14 GX460 w/o the adjustable suspension, and I was honestly impressed by my 05 GX's air ride, even with leaking rear shocks. It has more body roll due to no KDSS (standard on the newer GX460's), but the vertical dampening is actually superior and so is the ride in comfort mode.

Here is the link to the replacement shocks on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00
Old 06-04-15, 06:49 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

Thanks for all the replies. I believe I may end up going to Arnott Route, utilizing their rear bilstein conversion shocks. I will leave the stock bags for now, while I figure out on a arnott bag replacement, or coil over kit.

It's just to hard to justify the OEM replacement prices on a 10 year old truck.
Old 06-04-15, 12:31 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

just order the shocks from a bilstein supplier, will probably be less expensive. there is no conversion kit for the shocks, they are normal bilstein shocks they bolt in where the normal ones do not magical stuff, they just dont have the factory electrical connector.

Its a very easy DIY, literally 2 bolts each, and the car does not have to be lifted or anything.

if you are just doing the rears, be sure to set your front shocks in the right dampening mode you want before disconnecting the rear ones.
you can probably adjust them afterwards but never tried it so to be safe put dial more on the sport side before disabling so the front stockers will match the bilsteins better in dampening.
Old 06-04-15, 12:36 PM
new2012jee
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
just order the shocks from a bilstein supplier, will probably be less expensive. there is no conversion kit for the shocks, they are normal bilstein shocks they bolt in where the normal ones do not magical stuff, they just dont have the factory electrical connector.

Its a very easy DIY, literally 2 bolts each, and the car does not have to be lifted or anything.

if you are just doing the rears, be sure to set your front shocks in the right dampening mode you want before disconnecting the rear ones.
you can probably adjust them afterwards but never tried it so to be safe put dial more on the sport side before disabling so the front stockers will match the bilsteins better in dampening.
Thanks Ali, I will keep that in mind.

Do you know which Bilsteins to order? I am switching between here and Ih8 to figure it out, but can't seem to find anything from searching, other than the Arnotts. Bilstein doesn't have Lexus on parts finder, and neither did KYB.
Old 06-04-15, 12:44 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

its the same rear axle as a 4runner or FJ cruiser, just use whatever those guys are using on theirs, it should be on IH8mud if not in the 120 series section (the GX is a 120 series).

found it, its the Bilstein 33-187174
its called a 2" lift shock, but it can be used at stock ride height as well.
if you look on amazon, there are lots of reviews from 4runner owners and even gx470 owners at the bottom.
http://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-33-18.../dp/B007N6R2NM
Old 06-05-15, 06:21 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

Perfect, thanks again Ali!

I have ordered the Bilstein 5100 rears for now, relatively low investment to test out the shocks, and see how they do. I really do like auto leveling, so I would probably eat the cost of sensors if they go.
Old 06-06-15, 09:08 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

Few more questions.

If I replace the struts, would you go ahead and replace 10 year old coils up front too? Or do you think they are fine, all things considered.

Should I add any spacers or anything else while all else is jacked up, anything you can think of? This would be for stock ride height or evening of rake

Last edited by new2012jee; 06-06-15 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-13-15, 12:54 PM
new2012jee
Rookie

Thanks for the advice Ali, put the 5100 rears on last night, night and day difference. I can only guess those were original OEM I replaced, 2005, 109,000 miles on them. They were moving if I just turned them upside down 😕

I guess fronts are next, might try first notch for that mild 3/4" lift

Last edited by new2012jee; 06-13-15 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Question on handling...OEM performance