GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rusted-Out Undercarriage - Should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 08:40 AM
bhuther
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Rusted-Out Undercarriage - Should I buy?

Hey All,

I am contemplating purchasing a 2003 GX470 with 51k miles. It is in great condition, other than one big thing. The undercarriage up front is showing signs of a great deal of rust. I'd like you guys opinion if this car is toast or if a good sandblast and protective coating would make this car like new again. I've attached pictures below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Rusted-Out Undercarriage - Should I buy?-img_4138.jpg   Rusted-Out Undercarriage - Should I buy?-img_5644.jpg   Rusted-Out Undercarriage - Should I buy?-img_7735.jpg  
Old 06-03-15, 09:01 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

No F'N way would I touch that truck. That is some serious corrosion going on there.
Old 06-03-15, 09:05 AM
bhuther
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick response.

He said he was quoted by the dealer that the bad part could be replaced by 6-700 dollars.

How can a Florida vehicle have this much corrosion? He said it was in Georgia at one time and parked in snow for a bit but it seems odd to me.

This a 03 with 51k miles that has an immaculate carfax.

He's willing to take 11,500 for it.
Old 06-03-15, 09:21 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I'd pass.

Sea-side cars can rust fairly quickly if they're parked near the ocean. Not as quickly as say, a Wisconsin car.

Chip H.
Old 06-03-15, 09:22 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

Is this a white GX located in OP?

If so, stay away, it was in NY during the hurricane, and I believe was stranded. You will be able to see water marks up the back window as well, from the inside.
Old 06-03-15, 09:27 AM
bhuther
Driver School Candidate

It's Silver and down in Miami.

Sucks! I really wanted this thing. Was hoping you guys would think that this would be a fairly cheap fix <$500 and I could drive it for a few years. He says it runs and drives exactly as it should right now.
Old 06-03-15, 09:37 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

I'd take to a mechanic, specializing in welding, and see what they say. to reinforce or replace all those cross bars.

Unless it was a super steal, I would stay away. that condition with those 3 pictures, I would be offering sub $5k.

It would be hard to imagine, moisture lingering enough to do that, didn't do a number on other electronics, or other things underhood.
Old 06-03-15, 09:39 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by bhuther
Thanks for the quick response.

He said he was quoted by the dealer that the bad part could be replaced by 6-700 dollars.

How can a Florida vehicle have this much corrosion? He said it was in Georgia at one time and parked in snow for a bit but it seems odd to me.

This a 03 with 51k miles that has an immaculate carfax.

He's willing to take 11,500 for it.
This car could have been driven through salt water at the beach or undocumented flood vehicle (Carfax does NOT show everything), e.g. perhaps water only came up to the rocker panels submerging just the underside. It looks bad and that's just what you can see. I would also be concerned about corrosion at electrical connections - something an inspection will not uncover. You could run into all sorts of problems e.g. electrical gremlins that you will never be able to figure out.

There is a reason that truck is priced the way it is.
Old 06-03-15, 09:41 AM
bhuther
Driver School Candidate

Okay Okay, I've been talked out of it.

Do you guys think a 03 with 150k Miles and Clean Carfax that needs a timing belt is worth 8k? Everything else seems in fine condition.
Old 06-03-15, 09:48 AM
cssnms
Racer

At face value, knowing nothing about the vehicle or what they typical list for in your area with similar features and mileage, that sounds fair.

Be careful chasing a price, you might find yourself paying a lot more down the road.

There are benefits to buying local and from reputable dealer esp a Lexus dealer. You might pay more upfront but it might prove to save you a lot of pain and aggravation, not to mention $'s down the road.
Old 06-03-15, 10:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

are you serious? if its 600$ fix on a 10,000 car tell him to do it then you will buy it.
that whole front part holding up the radiator and whatnot is rusted through, not surface rust, its rusted through.
it needs to be fully replaced, but its not that easy, you know why, cause that is the front most portion of your actual truck's frame.
It does not unbolt, it does not come off easily, its the same piece of metal (or was at least) that runs the whole length of the vehicle.
If you know about rust, it does not stop, it will work its way through the whole frame if not cut out and replaced now.

If we were in VA with the state inspections, they would likely fail this car. I Wouldn't be surprised if it failed somewhere already.

what I am saying is its not an easy fix, thats like a frame repair type of fix.
the whole part holding up the radiator and sway bar could just collapse, not to mention whatever else is bolted to it is not structural at all anymore.

also the labor in removing everything attached above that would be more than what he is saying, not even the spare frame to cut and borrow the front section from, the labor and work involved in getting it all lined up and welded straight without causing more damage to the frame, ever heard of a frame shop or a replacement, thats what you are looking at here.

also everytime you go to remove a bolt on that car, it will probably break off and cause trouble, think o2 sensors, drain plugs suspension bolts, everything. I bet the exhaust is rusty as well.

run as fast as you can. he will trick someone into buying it eventually just don't let that person be you.
I am looking at several thousands in repairs at the least, not to mention safety factors as that supports stuff above it that metal was not there to just look pretty and bolt a skid plate onto, it does more than that.
look at the shock absorbers behind it, they are rusted also, and if they are weak enough they can snap on that lower rod part, ever had a front wheel come loose while driving?
I haven't and let me tell you I don't really want to experience it, but that truck is getting close to having a major problem happen to it like that.

its likely that will be the last person to own that car unless the price comes way down. you can get a cleanish early model '03 for maybe just a hair more depending on options, I would start looking at other ones.

the next option here you have listed "a 03 with 150k Miles and Clean Carfax that needs a timing belt is worth 8k? Everything else seems in fine condition."
I can guess there is something wrong with this car as it is priced too low. it should be worth more than 10k 8k is 4runner territory so I would be suspicious of what is wrong. timing belt is a $800 job usually.
If this car is in good condition somehow and not hiding anything rust wise like the above car then yes it would be a good deal.

always get under the car and look for rust, check the front fenders under the hood area for the original toyota/lexus badges which indicate they are original (most front end accidents these are not replaced unless done at a factory certified dealer).
those are big things I always check, there are lots more but I will spare you guys that stuff. its funny how no one says there car has been in an accident until you show them the missing badges or obvious overspray from a repair, and then all of a sudden their memory comes back =)

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-03-15 at 10:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MNDJ (10-06-23)
Old 06-03-15, 11:00 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
are you serious? if its 600$ fix on a 10,000 car tell him to do it then you will buy it.
that whole front part holding up the radiator and whatnot is rusted through, not surface rust, its rusted through.
it needs to be fully replaced, but its not that easy, you know why, cause that is the front most portion of your actual truck's frame.
It does not unbolt, it does not come off easily, its the same piece of metal (or was at least) that runs the whole length of the vehicle.
If you know about rust, it does not stop, it will work its way through the whole frame if not cut out and replaced now.

If we were in VA with the state inspections, they would likely fail this car. I Wouldn't be surprised if it failed somewhere already.

what I am saying is its not an easy fix, thats like a frame repair type of fix.
the whole part holding up the radiator and sway bar could just collapse, not to mention whatever else is bolted to it is not structural at all anymore.

also the labor in removing everything attached above that would be more than what he is saying, not even the spare frame to cut and borrow the front section from, the labor and work involved in getting it all lined up and welded straight without causing more damage to the frame, ever heard of a frame shop or a replacement, thats what you are looking at here.

also everytime you go to remove a bolt on that car, it will probably break off and cause trouble, think o2 sensors, drain plugs suspension bolts, everything. I bet the exhaust is rusty as well.

run as fast as you can. he will trick someone into buying it eventually just don't let that person be you.
I am looking at several thousands in repairs at the least, not to mention safety factors as that supports stuff above it that metal was not there to just look pretty and bolt a skid plate onto, it does more than that.
look at the shock absorbers behind it, they are rusted also, and if they are weak enough they can snap on that lower rod part, ever had a front wheel come loose while driving?
I haven't and let me tell you I don't really want to experience it, but that truck is getting close to having a major problem happen to it like that.

its likely that will be the last person to own that car unless the price comes way down. you can get a cleanish early model '03 for maybe just a hair more depending on options, I would start looking at other ones.

the next option here you have listed "a 03 with 150k Miles and Clean Carfax that needs a timing belt is worth 8k? Everything else seems in fine condition."
I can guess there is something wrong with this car as it is priced too low. it should be worth more than 10k 8k is 4runner territory so I would be suspicious of what is wrong. timing belt is a $800 job usually.
If this car is in good condition somehow and not hiding anything rust wise like the above car then yes it would be a good deal.

always get under the car and look for rust, check the front fenders under the hood area for the original toyota/lexus badges which indicate they are original (most front end accidents these are not replaced unless done at a factory certified dealer).
those are big things I always check, there are lots more but I will spare you guys that stuff. its funny how no one says there car has been in an accident until you show them the missing badges or obvious overspray from a repair, and then all of a sudden their memory comes back =)
Nailed it. Glad OP came here first.
Old 06-04-15, 01:09 AM
lepoch
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Vin

What are the VINs on these two trucks?
Old 06-04-15, 06:04 AM
jepva
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see how that much rust could be on a FL car, and even being an '03 there shouldn't be that much, even if it was up north the whole time. There is definitely a story to that car.

I will say in my recent search for a GX470, there were a few suspicious vehicles at wholesalers that came from the NJ/NY area where Hurricane Sandy hit, near the coast. The carfax's didn't have anything documented as far as damage or an accident, but any maintenance records had disappeared around the time of the hurricane (2012) and since then the cars did not have one record on CarFax, yet they were just now coming up for sale. Draw your own conclusions.. Wait to find one with documented records on the CarFax or from the previous owner.
Old 06-04-15, 10:56 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

maybe he lived near the ocean... salt beach away rust cars quicker than those in the snow belt... especially if he used the truck to tow a boat/jet ski and it was regularly down by the docks...

Quick Reply: Rusted-Out Undercarriage - Should I buy?