GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Transmission Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 08:09 AM
gg2012
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Issues?

I have a 2006 Gx 470, which is the wife's car.

Yesterday I couldn't drive the car when 4WD shifter was in neutral.

The transmission would not engage in R or D.

Same thing when the car was put in low for the 4WD shifter.

However, it seems to drive normally when the shifter is in H.

When I went to put the shifter in Park from either the low or Neutral position it would have a high grinding noise.

Car is in the shop as we speak.

As ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-15, 08:23 AM
mustangpro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something is telling me you don't have any issues at all, especially with the tranny. If the GX drives normal with 4wd shifter in High, then all is good. 4WD shifter in Neutral will disengage the drivetrain totally, the GX will roll freely regardless of where you place the tranny shifter, even park. 4lo is a unique shifting procedure. Might want to read the manual regarding the 4wd engagement procedure, I think there's even an instruction card on your drivers side sun visor. If you do have a problem, it's in your transfer case, not transmission.
Old 05-18-15, 08:56 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

You put the transfer case in neutral and expect to engage D and R? Get your truck back before you get ripped off
Old 05-18-15, 09:26 AM
gg2012
Rookie

Thanks Guys!!

Seems like I am a complete idiot.

Never read the damn manual.

I appreciate all the information.

Obviously not a GX470 guy.

Thanks
Old 05-18-15, 09:34 AM
gg2012
Rookie

Well, I just called the repair shop and they charged me so far $180 for a diagnosis but needs more time and another $300 to look into it more.

Deeply appreciate all your guys help.

So yesterday I was able to drive it to the shop 3 miles away in with the shifter in high with no issues.

LOL

Thanks
Old 05-18-15, 10:23 AM
mustangpro
Driver School Candidate

Be sure to get in writing EXACTLY what was done. Something tells me you're about to get screwed.

If it's your wife's GX then odds are you'd NEVER need to move the 4wd shifter out of 4H. My wife has no idea what it does, I told her NOT to touch it and the button with the X on it.
Old 05-18-15, 12:41 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

^This. LOL
Old 05-18-15, 12:55 PM
gg2012
Rookie

Funny thing is that the tow truck people didn't know either.

Guess I need to tape that shifter down!

Lesson learned

On BTW..is there a link for the manual online anywhere.

You guys are the best!
Old 05-18-15, 01:33 PM
mustangpro
Driver School Candidate

Register your GX on the Lexus Drivers website. There you can download your manual in PDF form.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home.do
Old 06-05-15, 10:42 PM
Chilexi
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 Lexus GX470 - Bad Trans Fluid

Hello all,
This is my 1st time posting here maybe because its my 1st Lexus and unluckily I am already seeing a potential issue.
A week ago I bought this 07 GX470 with 100k miles from a big name Lexus dealer. On my way home I noticed some surge upon stopping and taking off. I notified dealer and they said it's in all GX470's. I read the forums and it seem a lot of Lexus owners have experienced this issue.
But I was still not comfortable so I took it a well know transmission shop. I told them that I am looking to buy this vehicle but before I buy it I wanna get its trans. checked out. They took a ride, didn't feel any issue but as soon as they draw some trans. fluid right away guy said stay away from this vehicle meaning not buy it. Then he showed me the fluid, it was all black with some burning odor to it. They said by looking at the fluid it is obvious that trans will go bad but there is telling when.
Vehicle drives just fine except the clunking issue. I am shocked that Lexus Trans would seem to go bad this early and I am more shocked that a big dealer would sell a car like that.

My friends (Lexus owners) are telling me that it could be nothing, had I not gone for the inspection I wouldn't know about it and would have continued to drove it without worries.

I want to see what would you guys suggest, should I try taking it back to the dealer. Would it help? I know it will require some miracle to get them to take any responsibility. The only reason why I bought it from a big dealer is because I did not want any issues afterwards.

Your suggestions are greatly needed and appreciated. Thanks !!
Old 06-06-15, 12:13 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Don't think you can predict trains failure from looking at 100k fluid. The surge might be the clunk from the drive line which is common. Search it here. Grease drive shaft, maybe consider trans fluid flush. If it shifts through the gears on acceleration it's probably okay.
Old 06-06-15, 02:08 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Agree on the driveline clunk. It's very common.

So far as the transmission fluid - Lexus says "sealed for life", but I don't buy that (didn't work for Ford, isn't likely to work for Lexus). I did a drain + fill a little while back. That gets about 1/3 of the fluid changed, which is "good enough".

Note that you can ONLY use Toyota World Standard fluid, and there's a special procedure involved because it's temperature and level sensitive.

CHip H.
Old 06-07-15, 12:16 AM
Chilexi
Driver School Candidate

Yeah its not possible to predict the trans failure but the guy said he see particles in the fluid and it has a burning odor. He recommended to not buy this vehicle. But I already own this vehicle for a week now.
What do you guys think, does it sound alarming to you? Or all vehicle's trans fluid at this age will have some particles and will have odor? What could be my options?
Can any or few of you wonderful folks (GX470 Owners) check your trans fluid and tell me what it feels & look like and how does it smell?
Yes it shifts through gears smoothly, Transmission mechanic drove it twice he didn't feel any issue nor do I. Except that surge but after reading so many comments about it, I do believe it's related to the drive shaft.
Old 06-07-15, 06:15 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Shifting and downshifting through the gears tell you the most. Color and smell...seriously? I did a complete system flush at 100K. Nothing is forever.
Old 12-16-19, 08:21 PM
AlexRobles
Driver School Candidate

I am not his wife. I am also having the same problem. I was able to drive with the 4wd in neutral position since I bough this car second hand. I used the 4wd in low and high for a bit and when I wanted to go back to normal driving with the 4wd in neutral position the car won't move and as the guy said when I try to put my car in parking it makes a grinding noise. Please help

Quick Reply: Transmission Issues?