GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX as beater utility vehicle???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 10:49 AM
colink1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Austin owner here!

We have 2 cars that are garage queens. I picked up my 08 GX470 w/ ~70k miles, last year from Lexus of Austin to replace my FJ. I didn't like how the new 4R drove and found the old 4R uncomfortable. The GX was as big as I wanted to get and has become our family pack mule. I's hauled 2 adults and 2 kids ( 9 and 7) to Florida during a summer trip . All our luggage fit inside with the 3rd row flipped up. Found it handy to have when adding grand parents or cousins for side trips while there. We then made a winter trip to Sedona, same load plus mountain bikes. Third row came in handy for carrying 4 adults, 2 kids and 5 bikes.
Most of the time the jump seats are stored away in the garage. As for carrying cargo such as logs, bags of mulch or wet dog (65#), I never think twice about. It's a bummer we have the swing out barn door, but coming from an FJ - I am used to it. When we do take the dog on road-trips, we store most gear in a soft-sided rooftop carrier.
Old 05-19-15, 10:54 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

The GX is great for all those kind of things. the only drawback I have found on this vehicle compared to a 4runner is the swing out barn door as mentioned above. Its not as good for hauling wide stuff, like for example my fathers 2003 v8 4runner (basically the toyota version of the GX), can take regular sheets of drywall in the back that is like 4 feet wide, the GX can't even come close do doing it because they made it box like in the rear for the barn door, so you are limited in width. also you can't roll down the back window and stick things in there like you can with the 4runner.

The redeeming factor on the GX though is that it is taller inside, so you can pack stuff up for camping etc, make a shelf in the back for tools and still put your wet dog on top of it etc... etc..
basically if you need every inch of width and the more functional rear roll down window tailgate, get a 4runner, the rear tailgate is muchbetter.
if you want to trade a little bit of that width for height and a lot of luxury, then the GX is where its at its better all around except for that tailgate.
I love the 4th gen 4runner v8, but I wouldn't get rid of my GX for it, at that point I would probably just pick up a tacoma if I had to haul that much stuff but just throwing it out there.
I almost bought a sequoia myself, but really glad I decided to go for the GX. the build quality on the GX is superb, its built in Japan at the same plant all the best land cruisers roll off of and only the best plants get to build the cruisers. the sequoia was built, well, not even close to that plant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ing_facilities
under Japan:
Tahara plant: LS, GS, IS, GX, RAV4, Wish, Land Cruiser, 4Runner, Vanguard, engines Jan. 1979 396,000 7,821

inside look at the plant. they actually place a cocktail glass of liquid on top of the motor and run it to see how smooth it is.
this is the most important part though
"At Tahara, 200 Lexus experts are responsible for checking 4,000 quality items. That's twice as many workers and 150% more checks than at regular Toyota plants."
http://www.bloomberg.com/ss/07/07/07...s/index_01.htm

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-19-15 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-20-15, 08:34 AM
fantic
Rookie

One more thing about the barn door I forgot to mention. If you are pulling a boat you can barely open the door. It will hit the winch on the trailer. Don't have that problem with the fj80 or my Suburban.
Old 05-23-15, 06:23 AM
ChimpanZed
Rookie

Originally Posted by BrianV
The issue I'm having is that it seems I can't find any used GX470s that have reasonable miles. I guess they're reliable as it seems almost every one on the market (2006-2008) has 150K+ miles, and no listings seem to offer any insight to maintenance. On the Sequoia, I know 90K warrants a timing belt service, etc... I can't find a single good example in Texas of someone who has really loved their truck and offers it with a good history of service records, etc.
I've got a 2008 with 51,XXX miles in Houston. It has dealer service records every 10K and my receipts for oil and gear fluid changes, new tires. etc. I just had the front bumper repainted because Houston. I installed Metal-Tech sliders because they looks great and are useful.

If interested, let's talk. I have my eye on an XC90.