GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 Rear Hatch Lock Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-15, 03:58 PM
surferlex
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX470 Rear Hatch Lock Problems

Hey folks....

My 2003 GX470's rear hatch lock mechanism has been acting up. It got stuck in the unlocked position, but now is stuck in the locked position.

From reading older threads/posts on the subject, it seems that there is a service bulletin on this problem, but it is obviously out of warranty.

Called the Lexus dealer today and they were unaware of any service bulletins and could not check if I didn't have the VIN, which I didn't have handy. When talking with the service advisor, he said there was a manual key lock on the door, probably around the license plate area. I told him I didn't think so, but didn't have the vehicle with me. When my wife got home with the car, I sure couldn't find one anywhere. Is there a keyhole somewhere? No idea on how to actuate that mechanism without a key. Might be able to try with computer, but I don't know about that either.

Any ideas on how to get it open? When I do, any thoughts on the difficulty of replacing it myself? The dealer is quoting $400-$700 and needs the car for a few days, two weeks out....

Gotta try something myself before making that decision.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 05-13-15, 01:33 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

There's no keyhole on the rear cargo door. Just the handle.

Getting to the parts will require removing the interior trim pieces. No idea if you can do that while the door is closed.

Can you hear the electric lock mechanism cycle when you use the remote? Wondering if that has failed, or if it's the striker plate alignment.

Chip H.
Old 05-13-15, 07:56 PM
surferlex
10th Gear

The mechanism isn't moving when the key fob or driver's keyhole is used. No sound or movement.
Old 05-14-15, 06:33 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Sounds like the actuator isn't working. This might be because it's worn out/broken, or it could be because there's an open in the wiring. Once you get the interior pieces off use a voltmeter while a friend hits the lock/unlock button, to see if 12V is there (one way will be +12v, the other will be -12v)

Here's a diagram to help you get started with the trim pieces. Unclip the topmost one (pull down), then work your way down. You might break some of the clips, but that's how it goes. For the bottom panel, looks like you ought to remove the screws holding the strap on. And there might be screws holding the pull-handle on.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...rimLevel=19100

Chip H.
Old 05-14-15, 09:11 PM
surferlex
10th Gear

Wow, awesome! Thanks! Looks like I have a weekend project!
Old 05-14-15, 09:37 PM
Bob GX
Driver

My 2004 GX had the same problem & I have the repair receipt. It says:

Rear door won't open rear latch is binding replace latch TSB B0007 04

1. 69110-60190. Lock Assy, W/Motor B

Removed inner door panel to open door & replaced latch

Hope this helps
Bob
Old 08-23-15, 11:19 AM
surferlex
10th Gear

So, after waiting forever to attempt any of this, it came down to the fact that I have to destroy or partially destroy the trim on the hatch. Cant get the door open, so I can't take off the trim in any normal way, as it is blocked when closed.

I have used a cutting tool and I have exposed some of the area near the handle, but I don't know what to do at this point. I have access to part of the assembly. I can see the pieces move as the handle is lifted up and down and I can see the cable assembly moving with the handle movement.

I may have to remove more of the plastic trim with the cutting tool to get at more of the assembly. Is the lock part of the handle assembly or is that somewhere else? What would I have to do in order to unlock the door?

I've searched unsuccessfully on the 'net for information or diagrams. My next step is to drop $300 on one of the manuals.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 08-24-15, 06:21 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

This may help.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...rimLevel=19100

You will want 69110A for $195

Chip H.
Old 08-24-15, 07:06 AM
surferlex
10th Gear

Thanks Chip. I did navigate to that page from your earlier post and found the diagram. The problem is, I don't know what to do now that I have access to the area. I can make the door lever go up and down, but I don't see any way of tripping the lock to unlock. The only think I can see to do at this point is to break apart the plastic housing that is surrounding the door lock post. There is nothing I can access that locks or unlocks the door.
Old 08-24-15, 11:04 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

If you can see the end of the steel cable moving at the latch mechanism when you pull the handle, then the mechanism itself is bad. You'll have to cut open the plastic housing to get inside and find where to trip the release. I've never had it open, so I can't give you any details, sorry.

Chip H.
Old 08-24-15, 04:28 PM
surferlex
10th Gear

Chip,

Thanks for your help on this one! With your information, I feel more comfortable about doing what i have to do. I am going to attempt tearing into that assembly once I have the replacement part in my hand.

I did a ton of searches online about this one and 99.9999% of the information was "I had the dealer fix it under warranty". Obviously, that didn't help much.

Thanks again.
Old 08-27-15, 12:04 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Could a locksmith maybe slide something like a "slim jim" type tool where the window meets the trim and unlock it?

With what you're looking at spending to replace the trim pieces from cutting into them and then doing the repair, it might be worthwhile to just have several Lexus dealerships give you a firm quote on the job and have them do it. They may have a trick you don't know about to get it open if a tech has done a lot of the TSBs. I could easily see this DIY job costing you the same as a dealership doing it plus a lot of aggravation if you feel you're flying blind.

The other option is cutting the trim pieces and finding replacements off a used GX of the same color for a lot less than what a Lexus dealer wants the parts new.

Good luck, what a frustrating problem.
Old 08-28-15, 12:59 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

It's a little ridiculous they have the electronic lock but no way to actuate it from the inside the car, or key hole outside.

is there really no way to open the trunk from inside?

I didn't study the diagram completely but maybe a locksmith can drill a smaller hole and grab what is needed to open the lock.

However the plastic for the trunk isn't anything special as it's just hard plastic. I think even if you destroy it you can just get one from a junkyard.
Old 08-28-15, 01:52 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
It's a little ridiculous they have the electronic lock but no way to actuate it from the inside the car, or key hole outside.

is there really no way to open the trunk from inside?

I didn't study the diagram completely but maybe a locksmith can drill a smaller hole and grab what is needed to open the lock.

However the plastic for the trunk isn't anything special as it's just hard plastic. I think even if you destroy it you can just get one from a junkyard.
Finding one in the right color, with or without the ML Audio (rear hatch speakers are different) that matches your truck could be a challenge to find at a wrecker. There's very few of these trucks around where I live.

I'd be talking to dealers and see what they quote to get the door open, then you could at least carry out the balance of repairs yourself if you chose to.
Old 08-31-15, 05:07 AM
surferlex
10th Gear

Thanks for all of the comments.

The local Lexus dealer here quoted me $300-$500 to get the door open, $400 for the part mentioned in prior posts and another $400-$700 to replace the part and repair whatever they would have to do to the interior trim.

A reputable locally owned repair shop quoted $350 to get the door open and couldn't estimate what the damages would cost to repair. He at least said he could save me some money by buying the Lexus parts at wholesale and passing the savings on to me.

The design of this hatch lock is horrible. At best, it is a costly repair. At worst, it is a death trap for someone sitting in the back with no way to open the door in case of emergency.

I've already cut into the back plastic to gain access to the mechanism. I haven't taken the next step yet, but will next weekend. I'm hoping to be able to somehow cover the hole I made, but if not, the Lexus dealer that Chip provided online seems to be much cheaper than most. The door panel is right at $300. I'll hit up the junkyards first if I have to do so.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: GX470 Rear Hatch Lock Problems