GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Third Row Seats Too Low For Adults

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-15, 08:28 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Third Row Seats Too Low For Adults

Hey gang, like the title states, I know you guys already know how low our third row seats are, and I was wondering if anybody else have tried to sort of "fix it"? I don't really use all 8 seats for daily use, but once a year, my family comes over for a vacation in the states, and that's when I really need all 7-8 seats available. I didn't really know that it wasn't for adults before buying this SUV. We have an SUV back home(Philippines), which is also Toyota but it's only an Asian release SUV, called Fortuner, which allowed seating for 7 adults despite being a tad bit smaller than the GX aka Prado. And the difference I noticed with the third row seats, is that the floor slopes down to the 2nd row seats, which gives leg room for the third row or a higher seating. Well, it's pretty obvious that there's nothing we can really do about the floor, but I took some measurements this afternoon and tried to figure out how can I raise the seats for a tad bit of comfort.

Disclaimer; I am a short person(since I'm Asian) 5'4", so my "fix" would really vary to how tall the people you want to fit there in the back. I measured how high the 2nd row seats are and it comes up to 13" from the ground. The 3rd row is only 7" from the ground. I wanted to still be able to fold it up when not in use, and there's still a good 3" of clearance before the seat hits the handle where you hang it for securing. I figured I can build 3" billet aluminum spacers for the hinges and the floor latches to raise the third row seats a good 10" from the ground. The downside is, they won't be able to raise the headrests to comfortable height because it's gonna start hitting the ceiling because the roof slopes downward toward the back. Not sure if it would work so I'm asking for suggestions? LOL

Oh yeah, this is how the Fortuner looks like if anyones curious.
Untitled by damoneydada, on Flickr
Old 04-29-15, 09:40 AM
cj470lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finding a way to raise those seats is going to be difficult. I don't see how it could be done without some major modifications.

Off topic.....Looks like the Fortuner would be a good seller in the states with seating for 7.
Old 04-29-15, 10:50 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I think its the wrong vehicle if your requirement is to seat 7 adults comfortably. Most mid-size SUV's don't meet this need, especially those that are traditional body on frame designs with a higher floor. You need a Sequoia, Suburban or Sienna.
Old 04-29-15, 12:46 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jacket
I think its the wrong vehicle if your requirement is to seat 7 adults comfortably. Most mid-size SUV's don't meet this need, especially those that are traditional body on frame designs with a higher floor. You need a Sequoia, Suburban or Sienna.
Sorry, not sure if you read what I wrote. But like I said, I never really noticed it, since I have never sat in the 3rd row seat, and we only need it once a year when the family is here on vacation. And since I didn't have that problem with my previous SUV, pictured. There's nothing much I can do now but to remedy this problem since I own it already, and don't really want to replace it with a full size SUV, or even a van ughhh, when 10 months out of a year theres only 3 passengers.
Old 04-29-15, 12:52 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cj470lexus
Finding a way to raise those seats is going to be difficult. I don't see how it could be done without some major modifications.

Off topic.....Looks like the Fortuner would be a good seller in the states with seating for 7.
I looked at the mounting points of the seats and they are all leveled and not slanted or angled, so I figured, just get longer bolts, fit in spacers, and voila. I'll give it a try this summer and see.

There were rumors before that they were going to release it here in the US, but Toyota's lineup is already far too many, and they wasn't sure how that 2.7liter inline 4 cylinder engine will be accepted here in the US. They tried putting that engine in a base model Tacoma for a short period of time, and I guess people didn't like it.

Hmmpf, you Americans with your big block V8's... LOL

PS That SUV actually have a partner truck, same color, same interior, same engine... The Toyota Hilux.

Last edited by OG Dada; 04-29-15 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-29-15, 02:22 PM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

I had the 2.7L in a Tacoma. Really disliked the lack of power.

In regard to the GX rear seats, I tried them for the first time this weekend. My.11 year old complained they were too small for him. His knees were in his chest. An adult would be miserable. The third rows in the 80 series land cruiser and in the Sequoia are much better, in my experience.
Old 04-30-15, 07:11 AM
Rz500
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Rather than raising the seat it would be much easier to buy a couple thick pillows for them to sit on.
Old 04-30-15, 09:30 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rz500
Rather than raising the seat it would be much easier to buy a couple thick pillows for them to sit on.
That's the first thing we tried, and what we've been doing whenever we have teenagers that need to seat in the back. Just looking for a more permanent solution.
Old 05-01-15, 09:24 AM
cj470lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
I looked at the mounting points of the seats and they are all leveled and not slanted or angled, so I figured, just get longer bolts, fit in spacers, and voila. I'll give it a try this summer and see.

There were rumors before that they were going to release it here in the US, but Toyota's lineup is already far too many, and they wasn't sure how that 2.7liter inline 4 cylinder engine will be accepted here in the US. They tried putting that engine in a base model Tacoma for a short period of time, and I guess people didn't like it.

Hmmpf, you Americans with your big block V8's... LOL

PS That SUV actually have a partner truck, same color, same interior, same engine... The Toyota Hilux.

Not saying its popular but a version of the 2.7l 4cyl has been offered in the tacoma for more than a decade and is still available with the new 3rd gen tacoma. Also 3rd gen 4runners had the 2.7l option as well. However, I'm sure the v6's and v8's are much better sellers in the states and Toyota could probably get one of their v6's in the Fortuner

Back to the seats. I think its going to be more complicated than just getting spacers. That may work for the center attachment point but the side attachment bar will probably have to be lengthened as well. That could be tricky.
Old 05-01-15, 09:44 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cj470lexus
Not saying its popular but a version of the 2.7l 4cyl has been offered in the tacoma for more than a decade and is still available with the new 3rd gen tacoma. Also 3rd gen 4runners had the 2.7l option as well. However, I'm sure the v6's and v8's are much better sellers in the states and Toyota could probably get one of their v6's in the Fortuner

Back to the seats. I think its going to be more complicated than just getting spacers. That may work for the center attachment point but the side attachment bar will probably have to be lengthened as well. That could be tricky.
Oh they do? Didn't know, cause I hardly hardly see the 2.7L 4cyl. I really hope they release the Fortuner and Hilux here in the US, because to be honest(not to hurt anyone's feelings) but I seriously think the 4Runner and Tacoma looks butt ugly. LOL But from what I remember they did come out with a 6cyl back home but it was diesel. Diesel is really big in Philippines, don't know why, I've never owned one. Not sure, can't remember the specs.

But yeah, I'll give the seats a try this summer and let you guys know what I come up with.
Old 05-01-15, 12:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the hilux shown there is basically like the double cab tundra. if you look at the fortuner closely, it looks almost like a seqouia. even in the US those both look similar and share the same frame and suspension with exception to the live axle on the tundra and the rear independent suspension on the sequoia.
Sequoia does have rear seats and is actually larger than a 100 series LC space wise, and a 100 series LC is larger than our GX's space wise. all 3 models have the third row option.

probably dont want to downgrade or upgrade to a sequoia, depends on how you look at it.

instead of lifting the mounting points, you may find it easier to try and seperate the seats from the bracket they are on and putting the spacers there, then the mounting points and seat can stay stock.
the way you are saying raising the mounts on the floor and the bar on the side, not sure how you would do that without a lot of work and it looking odd. I would try the spacer between the seat and seat rail mount thing.