GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX 470 2006 Rear Height Control Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 04:22 AM
kuntz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX 470 2006 Rear Height Control Failure

I'm the owner of GX 470 2006 85 k miles, facing a problem of height control failure. The problem started some few months ago while starting the car. I there was a noise behind on the height compressor. Took it to my mechanical and the noise disappeared because the compressor wasn't well fixed to the body. Since then i'm not able to adjust the height of the car. The car remains at the height low level and jumping dangerously each time i drive it inside a hole. Decided to go back to the mechanical the following code error appeared during the diagnosis: P1445. How can this code be related to the height control system when we know that this code is related to the secondary air injection system switching valve?
I decided to change the 2 height sensors located on the R and L rear side of the vehicule and the VSV locate in the engine. The problem remains. Now the dashboard keeps the green light at N and the button to raise and low the height of the car is not responding. More the mechanic can't anymore obtain the errors code from his diagnosis device.
Really stacked as i bought the car from USA and took it in africa where i'm living actually and can't have a dealer to handle properly.
Your help will be really appreciated.
Thanks
Old 04-21-15, 06:15 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

I'd change fixed height coil springs, seems too much of a pain to deal with height control if parts, etc are difficult to obtain in your location. And would be cheaper
Old 04-21-15, 06:46 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

When you push the button to change the height, does the air pump run?

When the height is in N and the car is idling with no weight changes (no one getting in/out), does the air pump stop?

Are the air bags inflated (i.e. it's not resting on the suspension bump stops when at rest)?

Also - what part of Africa are you in? Here's the dealer list for South Africa:
http://www.lexus.co.za/dealers

Chip H.

Last edited by chiph9; 04-21-15 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-21-15, 09:48 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if the compressor was just loose and the mechanic fixed it in place there should have been no problem.
does the compressor turn on? if ts not turning on then that is the problem. if the compressor is turning on and the bags are not inflating then likely one of the bags has a hole in it and both sides will deflate for safety.
Old 04-27-15, 01:36 AM
kuntz
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Ali SC3;9009652]if the compressor was just loose and the mechanic fixed it in place there should have been no problem.
does the compressor turn on? if ts not turning on then that is the problem. if the compressor is turning on and the bags are not inflating then likely one of the bags has a hole in it and both sides will deflate for safety.[/
QUOTE]
Thanks for your reply Ali. The compressor is not starting automatically. But we checked it by applying a tension from the battery on it. It works. Please advice: im not sure i understand which bags you are talking about. Thanks again
Old 04-27-15, 01:45 AM
kuntz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
When you push the button to change the height, does the air pump run?

When the height is in N and the car is idling with no weight changes (no one getting in/out), does the air pump stop?

Are the air bags inflated (i.e. it's not resting on the suspension bump stops when at rest)?

Also - what part of Africa are you in? Here's the dealer list for South Africa:
http://www.lexus.co.za/dealers

Chip H.
THanks for your reply CHIP,

when i push the button to change the height, the air pump doesn't run.
Initially the air pump was starting automatically at the ignition, now i don't hear the noise of the pump starting. The air pump doesn't start.
Please can you let me know which air bags to check?
I'm actually in Ethiopia.
Thanks again
Old 04-27-15, 01:48 AM
kuntz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by new2012jee
I'd change fixed height coil springs, seems too much of a pain to deal with height control if parts, etc are difficult to obtain in your location. And would be cheaper
Thanks JEE,

If i have to consider the replacement with height coil springs, where will i get them and what can be the indicative cost?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-27-15, 03:59 AM
Project470
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tons of info if you do a quick search.

I went with the metaltech kit with '07 FJ Cruiser 4X4 OEM coils and Bilstein 4Runner 5100 shocks. I think the total was around $450 for parts. I paid 2 hrs labor to get them installed. The ride is just about the same as OEM.
Old 04-27-15, 06:31 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by kuntz
when i push the button to change the height, the air pump doesn't run.
Initially the air pump was starting automatically at the ignition, now i don't hear the noise of the pump starting. The air pump doesn't start.
Check your fuses. Sorry, I don't know which one is for the air suspension pump, but it should be in the owner's manual. Once you have identified it, pull it out and test it with an ohmmeter -- sometimes they're bad but still look good, and removing it will clean the contacts.

Doesn't look like Lexus has any dealers in Ethiopia. A google search came up with a site identified by IP address only, and there's no way I'm clicking on that... But a Toyota dealer might be helpful, since some of the Land Cruisers have air suspension.

Chip H.