GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Some changes to my 03 GX. Pics included

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-15, 08:05 AM
GXallday
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Some changes to my 03 GX. Pics included

Hi guys, just wanted to show some changes I've done recently. I changed my tail lights to the sport (08+ I beilieve?) model lights with the clear lens, as well as changed the bulbs to the chrome ones. Also, I added the LED bumper reflectors, AND the chrome strip moulding under the glass. Let me know what you think. Next project on my list, ADD A SPOILER lol.

Here's what it looked like before:

New tail lights, new reflectors, chrome moulding, still old orange bulbs:

And finally with new chrome bulbs:

Last edited by GXallday; 04-16-15 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-16-15, 08:12 AM
GXallday
Driver

By the way i still have my original tail light, in case anyone needs a replacement or something
Old 04-16-15, 09:58 AM
Lac
Driver

Nice! very clean
Old 04-16-15, 10:23 AM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice, diggin the LED rear bumper reflectors, how hard was that install process?
Old 04-16-15, 12:03 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Definitely mo bedda, GX!
Old 04-16-15, 12:04 PM
GXallday
Driver

Originally Posted by 470SNC
Nice, diggin the LED rear bumper reflectors, how hard was that install process?
Not too bad. The hardest part was figuring out exactly which wires to tap in to. I tapped in to the factory tow harness
Old 04-16-15, 12:06 PM
GXallday
Driver

Thanks guys. I love how updated it looks. Definitely doesn't look like a 12 year old vehicle.
Old 04-16-15, 12:07 PM
roemer7
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the part number for the chrome strip?

What LED lights did you use?

Looks really nice!
Old 04-16-15, 12:58 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nice. I really love the LED reflector conversion too. It just completes the look. I first got that idea from the newer RX's. They swapped out the reflectors to LED too from the factory.

What kind of stealth bulbs did you use btw? Are the eBay ones any good, or did you go with the Stealth Bulb brand itself? Pretty pricey, thats why I'm holding off until somebody can make the LED bulbs work with the flasher relay swap to digital relays.
Old 04-16-15, 01:34 PM
GXallday
Driver

Originally Posted by roemer7
What's the part number for the chrome strip?

What LED lights did you use?

Looks really nice!
I'm not sure about the part number. I got the taillights and the chrome strip from Sewell on the last day before they shut it down.

I got my LED's from eBay

Last edited by GXallday; 04-16-15 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-16-15, 01:40 PM
GXallday
Driver

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Very nice. I really love the LED reflector conversion too. It just completes the look. I first got that idea from the newer RX's. They swapped out the reflectors to LED too from the factory.

What kind of stealth bulbs did you use btw? Are the eBay ones any good, or did you go with the Stealth Bulb brand itself? Pretty pricey, thats why I'm holding off until somebody can make the LED bulbs work with the flasher relay swap to digital relays.
I went with stealth bulb brand from autolumination.com I got the full chrome ones ($3.49/ea), but they're not very bright at all. Pretty dim compared to my generic orange bulbs from autozone. I'm thinking to maybe get the chrome-dome ones, it says they're 40% brighter. Because in sunlight, mine are barely visible.
Old 04-16-15, 06:54 PM
UpStarr
Pit Crew

LEDs to replace the bumper reflectors! Why ...and how much attention do you think you'll get from police. They look like brake lights. Are they when you turn on the lights or do they come on when you hit the brakes? Not necessary in my opinion.

Last edited by UpStarr; 04-16-15 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-16-15, 07:33 PM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since, its hooked to the tow harness, it would come on when you brake, its just an extra brake light, no issues with police I would think.
Old 04-16-15, 09:58 PM
GXallday
Driver

Originally Posted by UpStarr
LEDs to replace the bumper reflectors! Why ...and how much attention do you think you'll get from police. They look like brake lights. Are they when you turn on the lights or do they come on when you hit the brakes? Not necessary in my opinion.
The lights are designed to come on when you turn on lights, and then get brighter when you hit brakes. But the way I wired them, they're simply on when I turn on lights. No brake lights, and don't blink with turn signals. And cops don't stalk Lexus SUV's. They have plenty of other fish to fry. I've been pulled over 3 times in 10 years, zero in this car.

And why did I do it? Cause 'merica. Lol. It's what I wanted, that's what I got. Do you say the same to people that get 22" wheels?
Old 04-17-15, 05:08 AM
UpStarr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GXallday
And cops don't stalk Lexus SUV's. They have plenty of other fish to fry. I've been pulled over 3 times in 10 years, zero in this car.
touche' I actually like your configuration of the leds. You still have the safety feature of having the reflectors, but with leds behind it that only come on with the headlights.

Originally Posted by GXallday
And why did I do it? Cause 'merica. Lol. It's what I wanted, that's what I got. Do you say the same to people that get 22" wheels
"cause merica"<---- my urban slang pocket dictionary is on back order. ....as for the 22in wheels on THIS GX Luxury SUV 20s would be my limit on this vehicle if I ever decided to upgrade

Last edited by UpStarr; 04-17-15 at 05:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Some changes to my 03 GX. Pics included