GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lifting the GX with Bilsteins 5100's

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-15, 06:54 AM
Project470
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lifting the GX with Bilstein 5100's

Hi, about a month ago I purchased a Black 06 GX470 KDSS with 110K miles. My stock shocks were in really bad shape so I installed Bilstein 4runner 5100s (lowest setting, the Lexus tech moved the rings after I placed them on the second notch! ) about 2 weeks ago with OEM springs. The ride is smooth on the highway, but pretty rough over patches, small potholes and cracks (I live in Boston). I did a lot of searching and could only find guys using FJ OEM coils on the rear with airbag swap, which I'm going to do soon. My end goal is a 2-2.5" front lift and for now trick the rear airbags to lift rear 1-1.5" so that I can install 285/70/17 tires. I want to keep the street ride as smooth as possible since the roads here in Mass are terrible.

My question is has anyone paired OEM FJ Cruiser springs/coils FRONT and REAR with 5100's? If so, how is the ride compared to a stock GX470? Or what springs should I install to get the best street ride? I will be doing light off-roading a few times a year.

Thank you

Last edited by Project470; 04-10-15 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 04-10-15, 08:34 AM
BlueES
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at this to duplicate his set up for my 05 with KDSS.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/05-gx470-build.840463/
Old 04-10-15, 08:48 AM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

metal tech rear coil conversion kit with fj coils front and rear and 5100s should ride decently
Old 04-10-15, 12:23 PM
Project470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 470SNC
metal tech rear coil conversion kit with fj coils front and rear and 5100s should ride decently
I'm wondering if the TOYTEC / EIBACH 112-620 Front coil lift springs would make for a softer ride.

Do you happen to know if the FJ coils are longer than the OEM GX470 coils? I'm just trying to figure out what notch I should use for the adjustable Bilsteins.
Old 04-10-15, 01:44 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I would honestly recommend you use your GX coils and raise the seat hieght on the bilsteins (That is what they are for). I am not certain if the FJ coils in the front are longer or not, but I can tell you the FJ has much much much ... much much less weight in the front than a 4runner, and a GX is a little heavier than a 4runner. if you are looking to soften up the ride and make it a little bouncier, then yes maybe try the FJ coils but most are trying to do the opposite.

I would use oem coils in front with your bilstein's, or if wanting ones that lift go with OME front lift coils and leave your bilsteins at the current setting.
for the rear the FJ springs work great and will give some lift. if you were looking to just go to coils with no lift the 4runner springs would be close but just a hair shorter than a stock GX in the rear.
Old 04-10-15, 01:56 PM
470SNC
Pole Position

I know the OEM FJ coils give the 4th gen 4runner a 1" lift so I think OEM Fj coils will work fine, the Toytecs one would be better suited for the task though
Old 04-10-15, 02:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

you can also use tacoma coils for the front they have recently figured out these provide more lift even then the fj ones and are thicker as the tacoma is heavy like our trucks in the front.
see post 13
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/engine...a-springs.html

another good read
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...ernatives.html

also has anyone compared the GX coils to the 4runner coils or to the FJ coils? I think people assume ours are the same as a 4runner but maybe our coils are a little different. GX are def different than FJ coils though that is for sure.
I would love to see a picture with all the different ones next to each other, that would make things so much clearer, but I def remember a 4 runner owner complaining about the ride in the front from the fj springs, part of the reason I kept my stock springs.

this is the picture from that thread FJ spring vs tacoma spring
the Tacoma one is the thicker spring with more winds (you know that whole strength and spring rate thing)

now look at our stock spring off my truck

doesn't the GX spring look much thicker than the fj spring and much more like the tacoma spring? I am counting about 9 coils on each of those 2
The fj one doesn't have nearly as many coils and is much thinner, I would not swap to these coils for an inch of lift.
The number of winds seems similar to the tacoma spring, my thinking is the GX probably got a nice overbuilt spring stock, and I would look to the tacoma springs to see if they are in fact longer than ours.
who knows we could already have the "tall" tacoma springs or a different spring entirely, the GX remember was a bit heavier than the 4runner factory I would not be surprised at all if it got a different spring.
To me a stock GX sits a little taller in the front than a stock 4runner, but it could be in my head. the 4runner factory rake is pretty intense and the GX doesn't look that bad without a leveling kit.

*double edit* not sure what the 4th gen 4runner springs look like in the front, thought I found a picture that looks like the FJ ones then I found some that look like ours but might be from a 3rd gen? so not really sure on that one but the fj ones look skinnier.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-10-15 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-10-15, 07:25 PM
470SNC
Pole Position

Also I'm not sure if that picture is from a 2wd or 4x4 FJ either, because those coils are different from each other too, if you notice 2wd fjs, the front is way noticeably lower.
Old 04-10-15, 07:30 PM
470SNC
Pole Position

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...-question.html

Here's a guy with a V8 4runner which should be similar weight running fj coils with 5100s netting a 2.5" lift
Old 04-12-15, 09:03 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I don't think they would compare tacoma 4x4 coils to 2x4 fj coils but I guess that could happen.
you can get 2.5" lift just from the bilstein shocks by moving the spring seat up to the top position, as it is a 2.5" lift shock. there is no need to change the springs with bilstein shocks.
Old 04-12-15, 02:35 PM
Project470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I don't think they would compare tacoma 4x4 coils to 2x4 fj coils but I guess that could happen.
you can get 2.5" lift just from the bilstein shocks by moving the spring seat up to the top position, as it is a 2.5" lift shock. there is no need to change the springs with bilstein shocks.
Won't that make the ride really firm since you are loading up the coil?
Old 04-12-15, 09:14 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I want to say it just moves the perch up which moves everything else up the same amount.
The coil should not be compressed more than stock it just sits higher.
That is the reason they make notches on the coil bottom so you can adjust the ride height, its pretty neat actually that you can adjust the height like that with just changing the shocks.

I went the spacer route after reading about the perch being held in with a C clip, and when installed wrong then can fail and come apart. I prefer my perch to be welded or at least screwed in place like a coilover, otherwise I was ready to go the Bilstein route myself. tons of people use it with no issues though to be fair, its just a personal preference.
Old 04-13-15, 02:57 PM
wademracer
Driver School Candidate

I had the Bilstien 5100's with stock front springs on the 2nd notch from the bottom for about a year and it rode pretty bad. I also had Old Man Emu 895E springs in the rear for a 1 inch lift front and rear. I swapped out the front springs to the Toytec/Eibach springs and left the 5100's on the same 2nd notch from the bottom. Ended up with exactly 2.5 inches of lift in the front, but the main thing is it rode so much better. I swapped out the rear springs to Icons and overall I love the ride now.
Old 04-14-15, 07:37 AM
wademracer
Driver School Candidate

recent crappy cell phone photo of my setup with the bilstein 5100's with eibach/toytec on front and icon rear springs. Lifting the GX with Bilsteins 5100's-photo.jpg
Old 04-14-15, 09:34 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

looks good, I have also read good things about the eibach/toytec front coils.
could you expand a little on "rode really bad" and then "it rode so much better".
I am not sure what you mean was bad about the ride and how it got better? was it too stiff at first or too soft?

Quick Reply: Lifting the GX with Bilsteins 5100's