GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Chasing some annoying rattles and squeals

Old 04-02-15, 07:02 AM
99suprduty
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chasing some annoying rattles and squeals

I've done some searching but nothing came up except some older stuff on the sunroof....

Sunroof rattling. Anybody tackled this one yet?

Metallic rattle from behind the dash. Seems to happen when I am stopped at a light. rattle comes from behind the dash, doesn't matter if the fan is on or not. Sounds like a thin piece of metal if that sounds accurate.

Belt squeal. First thing in the morning, reversing out of the driveway and put in drive and I get a belt squeal from the engine. Adjust the tensioner or something else?

Thanks guys.
Old 04-02-15, 07:31 AM
roemer7
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My sunroof rattles too, on the passenger side, but only if I keep the shade open. The noise goes away with it closed. I haven't tried to isolate and identify the culprit yet.
Old 04-02-15, 07:41 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

I found the black plastic cover on the sides of the sunroof can rattle under the right conditions, confirm this is your issue by touching them when you hear the rattle, if it stops, you'll know you found it. I pulled them off and put some felt tape, or one side of some Velcro tape, or double sided tape with the exposed surface left covered did the trick. Just something to fill the gap and provide a tight fit for the trim piece.

As for your behind the dash rattle, can you replicate while parked? If yes, I'd pop the hood and make sure it isn't something in the engine bay. And stick your head under the dash and see if you can track it to the source.
Old 04-02-15, 12:08 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Belt squeal: Could be tensioner. If it's gone bad, the serpentine belt will likely need replacing too (just parts cost, no extra labor involved)

How many miles on your GX?

Chip H.
Old 04-02-15, 02:43 PM
99suprduty
Driver School Candidate

Just a tick over 130k
Old 04-06-15, 03:18 PM
99suprduty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
I found the black plastic cover on the sides of the sunroof can rattle under the right conditions, confirm this is your issue by touching them when you hear the rattle, if it stops, you'll know you found it. I pulled them off and put some felt tape, or one side of some Velcro tape, or double sided tape with the exposed surface left covered did the trick. Just something to fill the gap and provide a tight fit for the trim piece.

As for your behind the dash rattle, can you replicate while parked? If yes, I'd pop the hood and make sure it isn't something in the engine bay. And stick your head under the dash and see if you can track it to the source.
Ok, so when I am sitting in the drivers seat with the sunroof shade open I press up on the left side of the roof and there is some play there that causes the rattle. Are you saying thats a cover that can come off somehow?
Old 04-06-15, 04:34 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

With the sunroof closed, sunshade open, if you look up into the sunroof opening, along the sides there are black plastic trim pieces on each side. If when you hear the rattle, you reach up and gently touch each of these, see if you can get the rattle to stop. If you tough the trim and it stops, you've found your rattle source like I did. Just pop the trim off and put something (I made a few suggestions previously) on the backside and reattach the trim, and you're off to the races.

Now that's what worked for me, no guarantee you'll have the same luck. It's always best if you can get someone else to drive so you can go around touching things and tracking down the sources. My wife is awful at this, so that's why I suggest having someone else drive while you do the searching, lol.
Old 04-06-15, 10:22 PM
NR04
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same rattle with the sunroof and it's not the black trim piece. When closed and you press on it, there is a play and it rattles. I take my truck off-roading and the noise becomes pretty loud. I haven't been able to fix it yet.... Thought about taking it to the dealer for a look.

Check your alternator and make sure the bearings are not breaking down. My alternator went out at 65K miles.
Old 04-15-15, 10:05 AM
Project470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NR04
I have the same rattle with the sunroof and it's not the black trim piece. When closed and you press on it, there is a play and it rattles. I take my truck off-roading and the noise becomes pretty loud. I haven't been able to fix it yet.... Thought about taking it to the dealer for a look.

Check your alternator and make sure the bearings are not breaking down. My alternator went out at 65K miles.
Same exact thing for me. Sunroof closed and shade open I can push up on sunroof towards the rear of the truck and get it to move about 1/4". This causes a very annoying rattle over small bumps. When sunroof is tilted or opened there is no rattle.

Lexus said that everything is tight, doubt they even checked. Anyone know a fix? I tried putting some felt on the rails and that didn't help.

Also, does anyone hear a strange squeaking/creaking sound almost like plastic against plastic coming from around the rear view mirror? Sounds like it is coming from that little case behind the review mirror, but when I detached that case the sound is still present. I had an annoying dash squeak from my GS, but this sounds different.
Old 04-15-15, 01:40 PM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Project470
Same exact thing for me. Sunroof closed and shade open I can push up on sunroof towards the rear of the truck and get it to move about 1/4". This causes a very annoying rattle over small bumps. When sunroof is tilted or opened there is no rattle.
Yep, I have the same rattle, I tried to look for an adjustment, but could not find one. Is it behind the black trim piece?? Does that trim just pop off?

Does your sunroof leak. so far I have not noticed mine leaking.
Old 04-15-15, 02:15 PM
Rz500
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same rattle with my sunroof. I'll be investigating this evening. If I'm able to come up with a solution I'll be sure to report back.
Old 04-15-15, 05:13 PM
Project470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ChiTownGX

Does your sunroof leak. so far I have not noticed mine leaking.
No leak, just a really annoying rattle that is definitely from that 1/4" of play in the sunroof.
Old 04-15-15, 05:38 PM
99suprduty
Driver School Candidate

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I was going to look and see if there was some kind of "tensioner" that put more pressure on the sunroof but been so damn busy lately, I haven't had time to mess with any of it.
Old 04-16-15, 03:19 PM
Project470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rz500
I have the same rattle with my sunroof. I'll be investigating this evening. If I'm able to come up with a solution I'll be sure to report back.
Please do. I can't figure it out. The rattle makes the truck sound really cheap, it also doesn't help that my rear airbags squeak over bumps.
Old 04-21-15, 12:45 PM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

Over the weekend I used a hose with high pressure to squirt water directly on the sunroof seal. I got a very slow dripping leak. It appears that the water just went into a drain somewhere. It never got into the interior of the truck.

I still have not seen anywhere that an adjustment can be made to stop the excessive play causing the rattle though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chasing some annoying rattles and squeals