GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My new 06 GX470

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-15, 09:16 AM
micah360
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree... those wheels look really good on there.

No way to switch the center caps out with a different Lexus wheel though? Pop a center cap out, measure it and go on eBay and see if there are Lexus caps with the same diameter.

I have a Jetta that I'm running Audi TT wheels on and that's what I did.
Old 04-06-15, 12:36 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Levin
Wheels and leds look awesome. Now I have to blow $100+ on leds : (
Thanks! Closer to $150

Originally Posted by UpStarr
Love the LEDs. What color? white or blue? Was it complicated changing the running board lights ?
They are white. And no, not at all, unscrew the old, screw in the new. Just make sure it's tight otherwise you're in for a world of hurt trying to get the bulb out of the plastic housing of the light. Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by NTH
Btw, are the TPMS sensors from newer 4Runner compatible in an older GX? Can dealer program them to work ?
I don't know if the FCC ID is the same or not. My 4runner wheels didn't come with them so I just had them moved over from my stock GX wheels.

Originally Posted by micah360
I agree... those wheels look really good on there.

No way to switch the center caps out with a different Lexus wheel though? Pop a center cap out, measure it and go on eBay and see if there are Lexus caps with the same diameter.

I have a Jetta that I'm running Audi TT wheels on and that's what I did.
Yeah I am sure there are. I just haven't had time to look into it since I switched them over.
Old 04-06-15, 12:45 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Installing my Morimoto foglights today. I pulled the bumper off to get it painted which has made the install MUCH easier. I'd highly recommend this to anyone wanting to install HID foglights. While it could certainly be done with the bumper on, it's much easier this way.

I bought the headlights and fogs HID kit from theretrosource. Anyway, the instructions that came with the headlight HID's sucked. I had left over wires that they failed to tell me I wouldn't use. It didn't take long to figure it out, but it would have been nice if they told you that you'd only use 2 of the 4 they offer.

As for the fogs, well... install was simple now the bumper is off until I got to the OEM connection. What they sent me in terms of male spades doesn't match my female plug. I got on to their online chat (which is a complete joke) and have been waiting for an hour and still "in line". They apparently ALWAYS have high call volume regardless of when you try to contact them.

While they may sell great products - retrofitsource won't get any more of my money.
Old 04-06-15, 02:15 PM
Rz500
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same challenges installing my hids. My solution was to cut the factory plugs off and solder/heat shrink the hid harness in their place. Installing the bulbs also took some modifications to the light housing. Definitely an easier job without the bumper cover installed. Hind sight being 20/20 I wish I took the time to pull mine off.
Old 04-06-15, 02:49 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rz500
I had the same challenges installing my hids. My solution was to cut the factory plugs off and solder/heat shrink the hid harness in their place. Installing the bulbs also took some modifications to the light housing. Definitely an easier job without the bumper cover installed. Hind sight being 20/20 I wish I took the time to pull mine off.
Spent the better part of the afternoon on the phone with them.

As RZ mentioned, these are not plug and play kits. Somewhere, some wires have to be cut Additionally, the bulbs stick out past the foglight cover, so you have to do cutting just as he mentioned.
Old 04-11-15, 06:53 AM
ChimpanZed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. How dark is that tint?
Old 11-08-15, 07:30 AM
lex79
Driver School Candidate

Default DX3 your GX looks FAbulous!

DX3 those wheels are awesome on the GX!! What size wheels are they?

Bro you should have stuck with DDM tuning for all your HID's. I too have used DDM on all my vehicles with life time warranty you can't beat that!

I just changed out my Fog lights with DDM, it was a simple plug and play. Just unscrewed the 1 10mm bolt holding the fog light assembly and the whole thing pops out without even removing the whole bumper.

Anyhow I'm confused on the low beam install of the HID. Did you have to do any sort of cutting the wire on the stock wire thats connected to the oem bulb. Im trying to attach HID adapter wire to the stock bulb wire, but it doesn't fit snug?? I have attached a pic to give an better idea what I'm talking about. Any more useful info on the HID install would be appreciated
Thanks for your help.
Attached Images  

Last edited by lex79; 11-08-15 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-11-15, 06:22 AM
chrtorres
Driver School Candidate

Nice GX man!
Old 11-11-15, 01:21 PM
ScatAdams
Rookie

Those wheels look good on the white, very unique. Now just lift that thing!