GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

First came the scary noise, the the scary lights.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-15, 04:55 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Get the denso starter from rockauto or your link but get Denso

Last edited by burny; 03-27-15 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-27-15, 05:01 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Amazon.com: Dorman 306-010 Electric Pump: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 306-010 Electric Pump: Automotive
Old 03-27-15, 09:16 PM
spoogie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
Get the denso starter from rockauto or your link but get Denso
Seems like a good deal.

The intake manifold gasket has a number of different options. The Felpro says "set" like the other two, but also says "Lower set; Upper set not included."

Are these all the same?

Old 03-28-15, 10:08 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you don't have to replace the whole starter, just put new contacts in, there is a kit from lexus/toyota, your mechanic can do it. takes like 2 minutes. your original starter is better than remanu stuff.
Old 03-28-15, 10:17 AM
spoogie
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
you don't have to replace the whole starter, just put new contacts in, there is a kit from lexus/toyota, your mechanic can do it. takes like 2 minutes. your original starter is better than remanu stuff.
New contacts? Do you have a link to this?
Old 03-28-15, 12:51 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spoogie
New contacts? Do you have a link to this?
28140-54380 is brush assembly

Last edited by burny; 03-28-15 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-28-15, 01:15 PM
spoogie
Rookie

Thanks. Sixty five bucks. That's better than a Denso starter for a hundred, eh?
Old 03-28-15, 02:40 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Thanks. Sixty five bucks. That's better than a Denso starter for a hundred, eh?
Brushes have got expensive. I get them for $15 for my GS300/ For $65 bucks for contacts, I would just get the rebuilt starter for hunnerd.
Old 03-28-15, 06:03 PM
spoogie
Rookie

Brushes have got expensive. I get them for $15 for my GS300/ For $65 bucks for contacts, I would just get the rebuilt starter for hunnerd.
Yeah wasn't sure after what Ali SC3 said about stock being better. But with $190k miles? At least the rebuilt one has a warranty on it.
Old 03-29-15, 01:31 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I definitely said contacts not the brushes. just go to your dealer and ask for the starter contact replacement kit its like $15-30 depending on the model. its just 2 copper pieces that bolt to the inside sides of the starter.

toyota starters do not go bad technically speaking. what happens to them is there is a relay side of the starter, which turns the starter on. this relay side consists of a plunger, and 2 starter contacts, one is connected to 12V, one to ground. when you turn your key, the plunger shoots towards the 2 contacts. when the plunger touches the 2 contacts, a path forms between 12V and ground, and this turns passes 12V to the actual starter side of the starter (with brushes etc.. the part that does not go bad).

what happens is after like a thousand times of starting your car, the much harder plunger wears away at the copper contacts, and eventually the copper pieces get so thin that when the plunger shoots out it does not touch the 2 consistently anymore, and you get the infamous "click" and no actual starting of your engine. the click is the sound of the plunger bottoming out before it touched the contacts. normally it hits the contacts and is stopped against them.

the starter is not bad at all though is the point. the "relay is bad".
you can pay $100 for a "remanufacured" starter, but you would be wrong to assume that the starter was bad in the first place.

99% of the time replacing the copper contacts with newer thicker ones, restores 100% operation of the starter.
It does it so much that toyota/lexus offers the starter contact kit for most models.

I am not going to link it I don't have the part number for this engine, but the 4.7L v8 comes in like every other toyota please just do a google search of toyota 4.7l contacts or just go to your dealer and ask for the kit and have your mechanic put it in.

I rather put the original working part that did 190k without a sweat back in, but that is just me. I don't need a warranty cause I know it will work just fine for another 190k before the contacts have to be replaced again, and this is a normal maintenance item its going to happen to any kind of starter.
Old 03-29-15, 09:33 AM
spoogie
Rookie

I definitely said contacts not the brushes. just go to your dealer and ask for the starter contact replacement kit its like $15-30 depending on the model. its just 2 copper pieces that bolt to the inside sides of the starter.

toyota starters do not go bad technically speaking. what happens to them is there is a relay side of the starter, which turns the starter on. this relay side consists of a plunger, and 2 starter contacts, one is connected to 12V, one to ground. when you turn your key, the plunger shoots towards the 2 contacts. when the plunger touches the 2 contacts, a path forms between 12V and ground, and this turns passes 12V to the actual starter side of the starter (with brushes etc.. the part that does not go bad).

what happens is after like a thousand times of starting your car, the much harder plunger wears away at the copper contacts, and eventually the copper pieces get so thin that when the plunger shoots out it does not touch the 2 consistently anymore, and you get the infamous "click" and no actual starting of your engine. the click is the sound of the plunger bottoming out before it touched the contacts. normally it hits the contacts and is stopped against them.

the starter is not bad at all though is the point. the "relay is bad".
you can pay $100 for a "remanufacured" starter, but you would be wrong to assume that the starter was bad in the first place.

99% of the time replacing the copper contacts with newer thicker ones, restores 100% operation of the starter.
It does it so much that toyota/lexus offers the starter contact kit for most models.

I am not going to link it I don't have the part number for this engine, but the 4.7L v8 comes in like every other toyota please just do a google search of toyota 4.7l contacts or just go to your dealer and ask for the kit and have your mechanic put it in.

I rather put the original working part that did 190k without a sweat back in, but that is just me. I don't need a warranty cause I know it will work just fine for another 190k before the contacts have to be replaced again, and this is a normal maintenance item its going to happen to any kind of starter.
Thanks for elaborating.
Old 03-30-15, 09:22 AM
spoogie
Rookie

Went into the Toyota dealer and they told me they don't have starter contacts for specific vehicles, that I would have to bring the old ones in to match them up.

Huh??

They also said that the 4.7L V8 doesn't have upper manifold gaskets, but Auto Zone says they do.
Old 03-30-15, 10:46 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

This is what they sell through Toyota. They do not sell the contacts seperately
Old 03-30-15, 11:51 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Went into the Toyota dealer and they told me they don't have starter contacts for specific vehicles, that I would have to bring the old ones in to match them up.

Huh??

They also said that the 4.7L V8 doesn't have upper manifold gaskets, but Auto Zone says they do.
sometimes they want to do it that way and its not a bad idea cause when they have the old ones they make sure you get the new ones you need without any guessing. Just remove the starter and contacts and take them there, they usually have them in stock.

some starters you cannot replace the contacts like some of the front wheel drive 1mz motors I want to say that you are probably better off replacing the whole unit, but when I did a search on ours there where threads talking about just replacing the contacts. you will know once you get the starter out if its sealed unit or not.
Old 03-30-15, 12:07 PM
spoogie
Rookie

sometimes they want to do it that way and its not a bad idea cause when they have the old ones they make sure you get the new ones you need without any guessing. Just remove the starter and contacts and take them there, they usually have them in stock.

some starters you cannot replace the contacts like some of the front wheel drive 1mz motors I want to say that you are probably better off replacing the whole unit, but when I did a search on ours there where threads talking about just replacing the contacts. you will know once you get the starter out if its sealed unit or not.
Don't think it would be cool to look at my mechanic in the middle of the job and say, "Hang on a while, Larry, while I go run this old part over to Toyota on the other side of town and match this part. And by the way, mind if I borrow your car to do that?"

Going to go with the Denso. Thanks for all the feedback.

Quick Reply: First came the scary noise, the the scary lights.