GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Can't stand anymore, wrapped crazy

Old 03-30-15, 10:40 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

You could have a caliper problem but I know my GX had constant warping issues until I dropped the OEM rotors and pads.

They've been smooth as glass since I put on Centric Premium rotors and Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic pads. much cheaper than OEM gear as well.
Old 03-31-15, 08:23 AM
schum4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info guys. I'll start with checking the calipers for any sticking pistons and bleed some fluid while I'm down there. I might move to new rotors if it gets worse (probably won't get better).
Any thoughts on those Centric Prrmium rotors with OEM pads?
Old 03-31-15, 10:48 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by schum4
thanks for the info guys. I'll start with checking the calipers for any sticking pistons and bleed some fluid while I'm down there. I might move to new rotors if it gets worse (probably won't get better).
I'm not sure if you mean reusing the existing OEM pads that are on the car currently, but the ceramic Thermoquiets I've had good luck with were literally like $20 per side from Amazon, I know if it were me I would throw some new ones on there as long as you're doing the job. All new brake pads for all 4 wheels would be like $40-$50.

I can't promise you'll not have warping issues because I don't know why the GX has them with the existing rotors and/or pads but it seems widespread and so far nearly a year I haven't had the warping come back.
Old 03-31-15, 11:54 AM
dkotanto
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've always use Centric Premium rotors with excellent results for all my cars (BMW X3, BMW 530xi, 1997 4Runner). Never had an issue. However, I just installed a front set to my newly acquired 2003 GX470 along with a set of Hawk LTS pads and I've experienced some brake issues. The brakes are great at high speeds but when I slow down to a crawl, right at the last few feet I experience some pedal pulsation. I did bed in the brakes in properly (or at least that's what I thought). Amazon is sending me replacements, and I hope with new sets front and back along with caliper rebuilds, new steel braided brake lines and following the Hawk bedding procedure to the letter, I hope I can alleviate this issue. At this point I'm not certain that this is a rotor issue, a pad issue or a caliper issue or a combination of. Will soon find out..
Old 03-31-15, 02:56 PM
schum4
Driver School Candidate

Good information. I notice the pulse at low speed too. Please keep us updated on how everything works out.
Old 03-31-15, 03:20 PM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

That's exactly what I did about a month ago and I've had no problems (new OEM pads of course). I'll let you know in 20,000 more miles if any problems appear.
Old 04-04-15, 09:43 PM
dkotanto
Driver School Candidate

Good information. I notice the pulse at low speed too. Please keep us updated on how everything works out.
Today I've finished installing the Hawk LTS pads all around, new Centric Premium rotors front and back, steel braided brake lines in all four corners, I've rebuild the front calipers with the Toyota rebuilt-kit and flushed the entire system. I've also bedded the brakes at a High School parking lot doing several 30mph-5mph runs. I couldn't be happier. The brakes are amazing and there are no vibration issues. I will keep my fingers crossed that they will perform like that for a long time.

GTLA
Old 04-06-15, 07:03 AM
techrep
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dkotanto
I've always use Centric Premium rotors with excellent results for all my cars (BMW X3, BMW 530xi, 1997 4Runner). Never had an issue. However, I just installed a front set to my newly acquired 2003 GX470 along with a set of Hawk LTS pads and I've experienced some brake issues. The brakes are great at high speeds but when I slow down to a crawl, right at the last few feet I experience some pedal pulsation. I did bed in the brakes in properly (or at least that's what I thought). Amazon is sending me replacements, and I hope with new sets front and back along with caliper rebuilds, new steel braided brake lines and following the Hawk bedding procedure to the letter, I hope I can alleviate this issue. At this point I'm not certain that this is a rotor issue, a pad issue or a caliper issue or a combination of. Will soon find out..
need to do the rear also...
Old 04-12-15, 10:19 PM
dkotanto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by techrep
need to do the rear also...

Right, that seemed to do the trick to eliminate the low speed vibration. Brakes are perfect now.
Old 04-27-15, 07:35 AM
techrep
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet...
Old 05-16-15, 02:21 PM
vxphan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Finally, I fixed the pulsing problem I had for years. I would like to thanks to all inputs from all members in this forum. Your inputs were so valuable.

As mentioned previously, I had violently pulsing in the last three set of front brake. Whether I used OEM nor aftermarket parts, the pulsing will be there and it developed to the point violently stopped the car. The last set of OEM front rotors and pads only eight months old and developed pulsing (warpping or what ever it is) from the day I installed and I am not confident to use the car lately.

So what I did is to get the brake system components fixed one at a time.

1. Replace front calipers
2. Clean front brake and reuse front brake rotors and pads < --- to validate the effective of caliper replacement
3. Replace rear brake rotor and pads < --- to eliminate slow speed pulsing

First of all, I purchased a pair of rebuilt front calipers from O'reilly auto and installed with the re-used of pulsing front rotors and pads. The test drive indicated that the pulsing reduce 80%. I drove the car for a week to make sure there is no more improvement. Still, the pulsing at slow speed to stop.
Second, I purchased a pair of EBC Ultimax Premium rear rotors and a set of OEM rear pads. Installed this morning and the pulsing completely gone. I did several test drive and proved that the problem is completely gone. The brake system is now very smooth and functioning as design.

That said, I don't believe there is a warp rotors or bad pads same as EBC indicated on their website . The Lexus brake system was design to work harmonically and all components must work together within specification to be effective. The reuses of front brake (assuming warpped rotors and pads) proved that. I would also think that the front brake calipers should be replaced every 100K miles. My car is 120K miles.

I am so happy to use the car again and I thought I should share this with you guys.
Enjoy,

PS: The EBC Ultimax Premium Rotor is amazing me with its quality. I am thinking about purchase a set for the front rotor for use in the future. JCwhitney has it on sale $75/per set.

Last edited by vxphan; 05-16-15 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-16-15, 10:22 PM
schum4
Driver School Candidate

Great information. Just to clarify, you replaced the front calipers but reused the front rotors?
Old 05-17-15, 07:45 AM
vxphan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, I re-used both front rotors and pads, since they are only 8 months old and I only had 5K miles on them.