GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Another Suspension strut- bags - HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-15, 11:15 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by gxman1
Alan,

I hope it wont come to that, that is the only reason I am monitoring daily. I will get it fixed or do a conversion. I just dont want to rush and go thru what you went thru, dealer throwing parts.

Car is OFF and parked, I don't think the computer has anything to do with sagging, it is the leak, but the question is why both side drops while engine off , and since the engine is off it wont be self leveling ,,I think.

Did your both side sagged since you actually saw the leak in the boots. or one side?

I am thinking it is in the lines somewhere letting the air out of the bags.
both side dropped, it was only one air bag...dealer only threw the solenoid resevoir at me, and compensated me for the mistake...they followed the ECU error code system, could not find the leak on the first visit. while the care is sitting parked with engine off...rock the bumper up and down, see if you can open up the leak...you will hear the hiss, and if you happen to be underneath you might even be lucky enough to feel the leak blow in your face...and if you replace one...you replace both, its just a matter of time...rubber drys out and cracks....by the time i waited, the care was undrivable....the entire system when into fail safe mode and sat on bump stops.
Old 03-24-15, 11:15 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

that is a good price for the air bags, its pretty surprising actually I thought it was much more than that but I have not looked yet just got the vehicle and I can tell you when I looked up the records LExus changed the rear passenger airbag like 10k miles ago, so it does happen from time to time and they will just replace the bad one if you do not want to do both. you are not alone basically it happens to all of them and eventually will happen again, this is why some people just change to rear coils, but then you loose the features it came with.

the tool is just to remove the air lines, its like $30. there is probably a way to do it without but might damage the lines. its not that hard to change out if you have done coil or suspension work before, but the airbags are a little different there is a retaining clip at the top people say is a pain, I have not removed them yet but if the labor is a good deal at the dealership consider letting them do it because if they damage anything along the way they will have to replace it. hope that helps.
Old 03-24-15, 12:01 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Alan thanks,

I didnt realize it will go into failsafe mode, and I cant drive it.

I am going to change both airbag.
Old 03-24-15, 12:03 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Ali,

I think lexus dealer is clearing them out OEM directly from the dealer. Both airbags $325. and I am taking it to a shop and they are charging me $120 to install both. The shop mechanic used to work for lexus many years. He only works on Lexus and Toyota. Total $445.
Old 03-24-15, 12:27 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

wow, that is a solid price, what lexus is it I may have to just order 1 and keep it as a backup. can you post the part number if you have it handy?
oh yeah $120 is a good price for labor on suspension work, I wouldn't bother doing it myself then unless you plan on doing something custom and it sounds like you just want it working again and that will do it.

once you do both bags you should be good for many years.
Old 03-24-15, 02:44 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Just sent you a PM

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
wow, that is a solid price, what lexus is it I may have to just order 1 and keep it as a backup. can you post the part number if you have it handy?
oh yeah $120 is a good price for labor on suspension work, I wouldn't bother doing it myself then unless you plan on doing something custom and it sounds like you just want it working again and that will do it.

once you do both bags you should be good for many years.
Old 03-24-15, 03:57 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I saw the link on ebay that is a pretty good deal. I guess they arent as expensive as I thought, good to know when replacement time comes I don't have to go to rear coils I can just replace the bags.
Old 03-25-15, 02:35 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Another update:

Bought 2 airbags $163 each x2 = $326 OEM directly from the lexus dealership.
Lexus indy shop, did this in less than 30 min for $100. He also greased the front pad pins since they were making a bit noise upon backing up, since he had the tires off he rotated them as well.

Total 2 bags and labor $426.

He told me the shocks look good, I have 142000 miles. I kept saying shocks must be worn out. He said dont throw your money on the shocks, wow, he was honest and had 3 guys working there all of them left Lexus dealership to open Lexus only indy shop.

Truck is holding up, no sagging, and the ride is lot more smoother.

Thanks Alan for your tips and advice, I was just being lazy about it, and your encouragement made me move faster,
Old 03-25-15, 04:48 PM
maddtv
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another update:

Bought 2 airbags $163 each x2 = $326 OEM directly from the lexus dealership.
Lexus indy shop, did this in less than 30 min for $100. He also greased the front pad pins since they were making a bit noise upon backing up, since he had the tires off he rotated them as well.

Total 2 bags and labor $426.

He told me the shocks look good, I have 142000 miles. I kept saying shocks must be worn out. He said dont throw your money on the shocks, wow, he was honest and had 3 guys working there all of them left Lexus dealership to open Lexus only indy shop.

Truck is holding up, no sagging, and the ride is lot more smoother.

Thanks Alan for your tips and advice, I was just being lazy about it, and your encouragement made me move faster,
gxman1, where in NY is this indy shop? i live in Brooklyn NY and i am looking for an indy shop to get some work done. Thanks.
Old 03-25-15, 04:57 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by maddtv
gxman1, where in NY is this indy shop? i live in Brooklyn NY and i am looking for an indy shop to get some work done. Thanks.
Very funny, feels like a new truck, right? . FYI I did not replace rear shocks until about 140k, they worked fine but the outsides were all rusted and crumbling exposing the shaft. I have 157 K now and fronts are still fine..they are good until they start to show seepage. Just had trans fluid flushed out, shifts seem crisper if that is possible.
Old 03-25-15, 07:18 PM
schum4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GXman,
That looks like a great price for the OEM air suspension. Can you send me a link or address to where you got them? I have an intermittant leak in mine (at 130k).
Thanks,
Will
Old 03-26-15, 08:33 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

PM SENT, take a look at it,

Originally Posted by schum4
GXman,
That looks like a great price for the OEM air suspension. Can you send me a link or address to where you got them? I have an intermittant leak in mine (at 130k).
Thanks,
Will
Old 03-26-15, 08:35 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

I am in AZ now, sorry about it. By the way, if they know what they are doing both side takes less than 30 minutes. I was going to do it myself, but the truck needs to be on the lift, due to clearance and makes it lot easier.

Originally Posted by maddtv
Old 03-26-15, 08:41 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

I cant compare to new, since I bought is used and I can tell you good difference. I am very happy.
By the way left it parked overnight and just checked in the AM no sagging.

Now, you said transmission. I was also thinking about it. I need to get it done. I know there is big debate of lifetime fluid. I rather do mine and made up my mind.

Who did your T flush?, did they do drain and fill 1 time or 3 times. I know there are many DIY threads here, I have to dig up a good one and do it. My motor oil change is coming up, I am going to do both.

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Very funny, feels like a new truck, right? . FYI I did not replace rear shocks until about 140k, they worked fine but the outsides were all rusted and crumbling exposing the shaft. I have 157 K now and fronts are still fine..they are good until they start to show seepage. Just had trans fluid flushed out, shifts seem crisper if that is possible.
Old 03-26-15, 09:17 AM
ALAN553
Racer

I cant compare to new, since I bought is used and I can tell you good difference. I am very happy.
By the way left it parked overnight and just checked in the AM no sagging.

Now, you said transmission. I was also thinking about it. I need to get it done. I know there is big debate of lifetime fluid. I rather do mine and made up my mind.

Who did your T flush?, did they do drain and fill 1 time or 3 times. I know there are many DIY threads here, I have to dig up a good one and do it. My motor oil change is coming up, I am going to do both.
100,000 miles is lifetime...dont ya think? i operated under the principle that if i planned on keeping the truck, i would do the first trans change early, which was at 55,000 and than wait another 100,000 to do it again. the first was just to clean out any metal filings that might be there from "break-in" Both changes were total, i believer they hook up hoses to inlet and outlet of trans cooler and flush out the entire system with about 16 qts of fluid and the last 12-13 stay in. with the cost of the fluid and labor it was about 275 bucks....the world standard fluid is the major cost. Lexus did it for me. not many places have that equipment, hence the 5 qt drain and refill. Oil change, thats a do it yourselfer...i put the quick drain plug on so i just put some PVC hose on the drain and it goes right into a gallon container. filter is under the front shield, just remove the rear bolts, it hangs down, filter drains quick...

http://www.qwikvalve.com/

Last edited by ALAN553; 03-26-15 at 09:18 AM. Reason: adding

Quick Reply: Another Suspension strut- bags - HELP PLEASE