GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 suspension conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-15, 12:49 PM
standup
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GX470 suspension conversion questions

Hello. Thanks for all the info on previous posts regarding the suspension conversions for the GX. Question is if this complete front assembly from Monroe will work with the GX?

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/171371L

After reviewing the options and speaking with a few different parts providers and my mechanic, I'm leaning towards the strutmasters for the rear as they're made in the US with Monroe shocks. It makes sense to have matching shocks in the front.

Please confirm if the above strut assembly earmarked for a 2004 4Runner Limited will work with the GX. If anyone has specifics of what they have used it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 02-26-15, 01:59 PM
standup
Driver School Candidate

Option 2 for the front coilover is the KYB Strut Plus...

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/p...ner-FJ-Cruiser

Rear shock is the KYB Excel-G for the rear.

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/p...and-FJ-Cruiser

Just need to confirm these shocks will bolt right onto the GX. Any confirmation is appreciated and I understand I'd need to pick up the metaltech 4X4 rear coil conversion kit and use FJ springs.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-15, 02:20 PM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any 03-09 and 07-09 FJ front or rear suspension component will work. For the coils, you will need the complete metal tech conversion kit with the rubber upper spring isolators and a set of fj/4runner rear coils
Old 02-26-15, 07:20 PM
standup
Driver School Candidate

Perfect. That's the info I was looking for. Many thanks 470SNC.
Old 03-09-15, 07:27 PM
standup
Driver School Candidate

Default Conversion completed and it's fantastic

All components were installed this weekend and here is the parts list used for the suspension conversion for those interested in doing the same:

Front struts:
KYB SR4131 Strut-Plus Complete Assembly - Left
KYB SR4130 Strut-Plus Complete Assembly - Right

Rear Shocks:
KYB 344410 (2)

Coil Springs:
Used FJ Cruiser springs from a 2007
Spring Sub-Assembly Toyota Part # 48302-35040 (2)
MetalTech 4x4 DIY Rear Coil Conversion Kit

Cover to replace the interior Ride Height switch on the center console:
Toyota Part # 58839-60040

Front end alignment

All-in the parts cost about $650 shipping included. Took the mechanic 4 hours total as the truck is a rust bucket due to salt from New England winters and had to replace the sway bar connections both front and back. No blinking lights on the dash, pulled the 50 amp compressor relay under the hood and the 20 amp TEMS fuse under the dash.

I've owned the vehicle for 2+ years and it has never driven better as the original equipment probably should have been swapped out a long time ago. The shocks were leaking since I bought it but it wasn't until complete failure of the rear air bags that it became obvious it needed to be fixed. The ride was unbearable.

The ride with the new suspension is firm but not overly harsh. I'd suspect it will soften up a little with a few more miles but would be very happy if it remains as it is today. As far as the height of the vehicle, it sits perfectly level and doesn't appear to have added any lift. It sits better than it did before the conversion.

Went with the KYB quick strut assembly as compared to reusing the front springs and hardware. The quick strut costs about $50 more per side but saved at least that much in time of installation as well as having everything brand new.

Also, the guys at MetalTech were most helpful in the process. Their conversion kit fit perfectly and they also provided the used coil springs from a 2007 FJ Cruiser for a reasonable cost. Highly recommend.

For those who are hesitant to pull the trigger and make the switch, you can rest assured it is a good move. Don't spend countless hours researching as I did. The ride is fantastic and you'll save at least 2 grand compared to having the dealer replace everything to Lexus specs.

Good luck.

Last edited by standup; 03-10-15 at 04:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JayMC (02-09-22)
Old 03-10-15, 09:11 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 113 Posts

Thank you for passing on the info. Definitely a good resource when the time comes.
JayMC (02-09-22)
Old 03-10-15, 09:26 AM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cost to install

What was the cost to install the components? Thanks, al
Old 03-12-15, 04:33 PM
spinkenp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Standup where did you have the work done in Mass?
Old 03-12-15, 04:50 PM
standup
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spinkenp
Hi Standup where did you have the work done in Mass?
Midas, North Reading. Ivan runs the place and was great to deal with.

4 hours of labor which included the front end alignment. Didn't realize it while putting together the parts list, but needed the link kit for front and rear sway bars as they were shot. Could have sourced the link kits on my own to save a few bucks.
Old 03-12-15, 04:56 PM
spinkenp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, My 09 has 110k miles i cannot believe how bad the suspension feels on side roads. You feel every bump and tilt of the pavement. On the highway it feels like a lexus. Was he able to get all the parts or did you provide them?
Old 04-29-15, 08:17 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default shock sensor

Standup what shocks did you use? Part number #.
I already did my conversation on the airbags... I'm looking for just regular shocks. I don't need that comfort or sport anymore. Thank in advance.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...uspension.html

Last edited by angelslex; 05-01-15 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-30-15, 05:45 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by standup
Midas, North Reading. Ivan runs the place and was great to deal with.

4 hours of labor which included the front end alignment. Didn't realize it while putting together the parts list, but needed the link kit for front and rear sway bars as they were shot. Could have sourced the link kits on my own to save a few bucks.
Fellow Northshore GX owner here. I also did the conversion about a year ago and love the results. The only thing I would have done differently is use FJ springs instead of 4Runner. My GX sits about 1.5" lower than normal. The FJ would have probably leveled it out. I did however take note on how you shut off the blinking OFF light. My has been blinking for a year. For those who are contemplating....ITS THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK. It cost me under $300 installed for the entire conversion
Old 04-30-15, 07:42 PM
Project470
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also in MA and installed the MetalTech kit last week with FJ rear springs and it still sits at least 1" lower than OEM! It looks terrible with the 2.5" lift I have up front. The ride is a little smoother and more solid feeling than the old bags but it bottoms out much easier as I have already hit the bump stops a few times. I just ordered the 2" toytech super flex springs to match the toytech's installed upfront. I'll report back next week with an update on the ride quality.
Old 05-04-15, 05:19 AM
standup
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by angelslex
Standup what shocks did you use? Part number #.
I already did my conversation on the airbags... I'm looking for just regular shocks. I don't need that comfort or sport anymore. Thank in advance.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...uspension.html
I went with KYB shocks front and back. They are great. Lots of other options which would probably work good too.

Front struts:
KYB SR4131 Strut-Plus Complete Assembly - Left
KYB SR4130 Strut-Plus Complete Assembly - Right

Rear Shocks:
KYB 344410 (2)
WindyctyGX (05-21-22)
Old 05-04-15, 06:33 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks. I will order them this week.