GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Touchscreen Nav and Bluetooth option for First Gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-15, 05:57 AM
HusH818
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touchscreen Nav and Bluetooth option for First Gen

While browsing the internet and weighing my options to add Nav, bluetooth, etc. I stumbled upon this option.

http://www.jewellet.com/Android-Toyo...ado-Navigation

Before this thread turns into a Chinese quality debate hear me out

The specs on this unit are rather appealing:
Android 4.2 OS
CPU: Dual Core Cortex A9 1.6GHZ
Storage Memory: RAM 1GB DDR3, ROM 8GB

It is essentially a android tablet that is made to fit perfectly in our dash
It would allow for endless updates, rooting and modifications

~I would be able to decide what GPS software to run whether it be Igo-8, GoogleMaps, or Waze

~It comes with 1gb of storage, and a USB dongle or SD card for expansion so loading TOPO maps should be a breeze

~You would have access to the android market so that you can change media player options

~Included in the android market is "torque" the app that allows you to monitor the trucks vitals via OBDII

~it is plug-n-play, so no worries of splicing wires and switching back to factory would be easy

~ You would also retain the use of steering wheel controls

The other main reason that this is a a good contender in my book is that the alternatives are either far more expensive, or they just dont offer all of the above in one package.

What do you guys think?

I know it is a risk and may be hit-or-miss on quality but it is so appealing that I think it balances out the cost-to-risk factor

Has anyone tried this yet?
Old 02-18-15, 07:30 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Looks interesting. Priced like a higher-end car radio, but is a tablet.

If you have the money and the skills needed to install it - I say go ahead. And post some photos of the install.

Chip H.

Edit:
Make sure the kit doesn't require any wires to be cut. Best would be if it used the existing connectors. Slightly less-best would be that it needs a tap into a few wires in addition to a connector.

Last edited by chiph9; 02-18-15 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-18-15, 08:49 AM
abatodu
Driver School Candidate

wow... interesting. i am not sure I am brave enough to take the plunge.
Old 02-28-15, 05:34 AM
HusH818
Driver School Candidate

Well guys I got the radio installed

Everything went well and the unit works exactly as described.

I ran the GPS antenna and female USB ports the glove box as a temporary place until I decide where I want them, but even in the glove box the GPS has good signal.

The backlighting on the radio is pretty awesome because it is fine tunable and I can get it pretty close to the same color as the factory button illumination. After all one of the selling points of this unit to me was the fact that it looks much more stock than the double din units I've seen.

The physical fitment is spot on and I I had no issues in that department. It sits flush and lines up perfect.

The user interface is pretty intuitive and easy to use since it has the latest version of android.

I also bypassed the dvd safety feature so that the wife can watch movies on the long trips.

So for now I am a happy customer.
Old 02-28-15, 02:39 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

How was the wiring? Did it come with the massive plug that is down by the driver's knee?

Chip H.
Old 02-28-15, 05:21 PM
HusH818
Driver School Candidate

The wiring that was included with the unit appeared to be plug and play. When I hooked it up with the supplied harness, everything worked except I had no sound.

Upon further research I found a harness tyto-01, that allows for a aftermarket stereo to be hooked up to our factory amps.

Using this harness all that was needed was splicing in the key-on power, constant power, amp power signal wire, and the illumination wire for the aftermarket stereo. Pretty simple with once I found the right pieces.

There are more pics and info in my post on another forum

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/nav-...-gx470.839842/
Old 02-28-15, 05:22 PM
HusH818
Driver School Candidate

That massive plug stays in tact and all modifications are at the plugs that go to the factory radio
Old 02-28-15, 11:56 PM
GXallday
Driver

No pics? I call bs lol
Old 03-01-15, 05:55 AM
HusH818
Driver School Candidate

fair enough.

here are pics
Attached Thumbnails Touchscreen Nav and Bluetooth option for First Gen-radio1.jpg   Touchscreen Nav and Bluetooth option for First Gen-radio5.jpg   Touchscreen Nav and Bluetooth option for First Gen-radio6.jpg   Touchscreen Nav and Bluetooth option for First Gen-radio3.jpg   Touchscreen Nav and Bluetooth option for First Gen-radio2.jpg  

Old 03-01-15, 06:32 AM
HusH818
Driver School Candidate

one more
Old 03-01-15, 05:53 PM
abatodu
Driver School Candidate

Looks awesome. How was the install and did you run into any snags?

Could this replace my factory Mark Levinson/navigation system?

Last edited by abatodu; 03-01-15 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-01-15, 07:31 PM
GreatHim
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not unless you want to lose your HVAC....
Old 03-01-15, 07:38 PM
GXallday
Driver

I've been thinking, is it not possible to replace the HVAC unit for the non-navi HVAC unit (the one pictured here^)?
Old 03-01-15, 08:21 PM
HusH818
Driver School Candidate

The only snag I ran into was having to order the proper harness to be able to hook up to the factory amp

I found a seller on Amazon with this unit and they were "fulfilled by amaZon" and Prime eligible
So I went that route.

I knew that I might have a couple wiring snags because the amaZon seller did not offer the can-bus adapter for the amp. Also the harness that I received was for a European Toyota prado.

I really only went this route because I couldn't find anyone stateside with one of these units installed and the security of Amazon would allow me to return it if it did not work.

So if you go the Amazon route you will need a tyto-01 harness adapter and you will not have steering wheel functionality.

If you go with a Chinese seller you can get all the proper harnesses and adapters, but you run the risk of fraud and inability to return.

I chose the former
Old 03-02-15, 10:27 PM
LS400_96
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,
I wanted to ask if you installed a rear camera with the new headunit. If so, can you provide some pics of the camera, how it looks on the headunit when in reverse and the type of camera (wired/wireless) installed. I am really interested in installing this as a substitute to the OEM navigation unit.

Also, can you use Waze/Google maps with the gps antenna or is wireless internet access required? Thanks for sharing this with the forum!

Quick Reply: Touchscreen Nav and Bluetooth option for First Gen