GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Throwing the truck into 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-15, 01:45 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GXallday
I'm not concerned, just curious how people can spend so much money and not even know what they're buying.

That probably describe 9 out of 10 people when it comes to SUVs and how the 4 wheel drive system actually works. I sure as hell know my wife has no idea how it functions.

Most of the owners that I've seen are Moms using it as a minivan to shuttle kids.
Old 01-19-15, 02:35 AM
dundonrl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
The GX is my wife's car, I had to reread my manual when I was in a situation where I needed better traction, I honestly thought the car was 2wd until you engaged into 4wd, with the gear selector being in the "N" position until you needed 4wd High and Low.

I definitely think the GX is and the 4wd/AWD system is confusing for probably 99% of owners. Even after reading the owner's manual I was scratching my head.

I'm more of a car guy than a Truck/SUV guy, but I've never seen a system like this. I think they could have made a better effort to make it more user friendly. I was borrowing a Ford Expedition from a relative, much better system. Turn **** for 2WD, AWD, 4WD High and 4WD Low, that's it. You would think a high end SUV could do a better job integrating it for the type of customer that buys a Lexus SUV.
it's called reliability.. you don't have an electric motor or computer that can go out stranding you in 2wd when really REALLY need 4x4. You also have to look at what vehicle the GX470 was built from, the Toyota Land Rover Prada (which is a gussied up Land Rover from down under)

Originally Posted by chiph9
Since it's in 4WD/AWD all the time, it's probably a lot easier for the owner -- just get in and drive. Only have to put it in low range when you go off-road and need the extra traction.

In case you missed it earlier - the center differential lock (switch near the seat heater switches) should ONLY be engaged on a low-traction surface, like dirt or gravel. NEVER engage it on pavement. You will cause ex$pen$ive damage to the driveline.

Chip H.
even for 99% of the off road work, you don't need low range.. think of having to tow your 30 ft yacht up a steep boat ramp, and you need the extra torque because you have plenty of traction.. THEN you engage low range.

Originally Posted by BradTank
The thing is, most 4x4s go into 4 wheel drive only when you engage the 4 wheel drive, that's how I grew up with them. Since 99% of driving you don't need 4 wheel drive, it makes sense, I think that's where the confusion is.

You see a gear selector for High Low and Neutral, you assume you need to engage the 4wd, not that's it's already in 4wd and that the neutral setting is for towing. And then there's the button that locks/unlocks the differential on the dash. Once you know how it all works, it's fine, but it's certainly not intuitive for most users.

I'm personally not a big fan of permanent 4wd, It's a waste of gas and wear and tear, which is why most SUVs and trucks aren't equipped that way. 99% of the driving with these cars is on pavement.

It's just an odd way to lay out the system considering the end user is mainly soccer moms.
yean, your used to part time 4WD, which normally runs around in 2wd..

see post above about where the GX470 has it's roots..
Old 01-19-15, 11:19 AM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dundonrl
it's called reliability.. you don't have an electric motor or computer that can go out stranding you in 2wd when really REALLY need 4x4. You also have to look at what vehicle the GX470 was built from, the Toyota Land Rover Prada (which is a gussied up Land Rover from down under)
Not quite. The GX is based on the 120 series which is a land CRUISER pradO, a light duty descendent of the heavier duty land CRUISER. None of these are built by Land Rover, a British car manufacture with no ties to toyota or lexus.