GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Throwing the truck into 4wd

Old 01-13-15, 05:52 AM
techrep
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Oh that... that's just an owner's manual I just keep it in case I sell later.
I have had mine for over 6 months now and still have not read the whole thing..then I'll get to the Nav book...lol
Old 01-13-15, 06:59 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Saw another of these "4wd" vehicles you guys were talking about on my drive in to work this morning, lol. This is exactly why I have an issue with the term, it's nothing but marketing speak.
Attached Thumbnails Throwing the truck into 4wd-392377_sdc17249_jpg129e95415b0f6290185bd253e1e1e50f.jpg  
Old 01-15-15, 06:10 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Played around with the transfer case some today -- when the transmission is in Park and the engine is running, moving the transfer case into Neutral results in an A/T P showing up on the gauge cluster. Presumably to warn you about the roll-away risk.

Chip H.
Old 01-15-15, 10:59 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

The GX is my wife's car, I had to reread my manual when I was in a situation where I needed better traction, I honestly thought the car was 2wd until you engaged into 4wd, with the gear selector being in the "N" position until you needed 4wd High and Low.

I definitely think the GX is and the 4wd/AWD system is confusing for probably 99% of owners. Even after reading the owner's manual I was scratching my head.

I'm more of a car guy than a Truck/SUV guy, but I've never seen a system like this. I think they could have made a better effort to make it more user friendly. I was borrowing a Ford Expedition from a relative, much better system. Turn **** for 2WD, AWD, 4WD High and 4WD Low, that's it. You would think a high end SUV could do a better job integrating it for the type of customer that buys a Lexus SUV.
Old 01-15-15, 11:55 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Since it's in 4WD/AWD all the time, it's probably a lot easier for the owner -- just get in and drive. Only have to put it in low range when you go off-road and need the extra traction.

In case you missed it earlier - the center differential lock (switch near the seat heater switches) should ONLY be engaged on a low-traction surface, like dirt or gravel. NEVER engage it on pavement. You will cause ex$pen$ive damage to the driveline.

Chip H.
Old 01-15-15, 12:17 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

It's a luxury truck, I think the intention is to make it as user friendly as possible which means you don't have to change anything 99% of the time. L for the transfer case is for off road users and they usually know there way around a 4x4.
Old 01-15-15, 01:59 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by ALAN553
It's a luxury truck, I think the intention is to make it as user friendly as possible which means you don't have to change anything 99% of the time. L for the transfer case is for off road users and they usually know there way around a 4x4.
The thing is, most 4x4s go into 4 wheel drive only when you engage the 4 wheel drive, that's how I grew up with them. Since 99% of driving you don't need 4 wheel drive, it makes sense, I think that's where the confusion is.

You see a gear selector for High Low and Neutral, you assume you need to engage the 4wd, not that's it's already in 4wd and that the neutral setting is for towing. And then there's the button that locks/unlocks the differential on the dash. Once you know how it all works, it's fine, but it's certainly not intuitive for most users.

I'm personally not a big fan of permanent 4wd, It's a waste of gas and wear and tear, which is why most SUVs and trucks aren't equipped that way. 99% of the driving with these cars is on pavement.

It's just an odd way to lay out the system considering the end user is mainly soccer moms.
Old 01-15-15, 04:12 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
The thing is, most 4x4s go into 4 wheel drive only when you engage the 4 wheel drive, that's how I grew up with them. Since 99% of driving you don't need 4 wheel drive, it makes sense, I think that's where the confusion is.

You see a gear selector for High Low and Neutral, you assume you need to engage the 4wd, not that's it's already in 4wd and that the neutral setting is for towing. And then there's the button that locks/unlocks the differential on the dash. Once you know how it all works, it's fine, but it's certainly not intuitive for most users.

I'm personally not a big fan of permanent 4wd, It's a waste of gas and wear and tear, which is why most SUVs and trucks aren't equipped that way. 99% of the driving with these cars is on pavement.

It's just an odd way to lay out the system considering the end user is mainly soccer moms.
Full time AWD is great if you live where it's winter driving conditions 1/2 the year. In AZ...I can see how that would be not so great, lol.
Old 01-15-15, 06:44 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by IanB2
Full time AWD is great if you live where it's winter driving conditions 1/2 the year. In AZ...I can see how that would be not so great, lol.
Agreed, but even in places that get real winters, it would be nice to have the ability to turn the 4WD off in the 1/2 to 3/4 of the year when it's not needed and get that extra fuel economy. At least that would be my preference.
Old 01-15-15, 09:32 PM
GXallday
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, but even in places that get real winters, it would be nice to have the ability to turn the 4WD off in the 1/2 to 3/4 of the year when it's not needed and get that extra fuel economy. At least that would be my preference.
I'm curious how you and so many other people didn't know this was a permanent 4wd truck when you bought it. Did you not do any research? Did you not read reviews, specs, watch test drives videos, etc?
Old 01-16-15, 08:18 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by GXallday
I'm curious how you and so many other people didn't know this was a permanent 4wd truck when you bought it. Did you not do any research? Did you not read reviews, specs, watch test drives videos, etc?
My wife bought it for herself before we were married, but thanks for your concern.
Old 01-16-15, 09:09 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This is one of those things car companies have tried to convince people they need to have to get to work safely. People will swear up and down they couldn't get by with 2wd and that anything short of an SUV with full-time 4wd will mean they slip off the road and die in a ditch. Somehow 99 out of 100 people that don't have this feature seem to get by.

I would have preferred a more old school 4x4 system that you could shift in and out of 4wd. That wasn't an option but I wasn't going to disqualify the vehicle over it. I also think they could have made using the system a little more straightforward. Still a great vehicle though.

But the idea though that these things need full-time 4wd is silly. It's like when Range Rover brags about how great they are in tough terrain and show pictures of them offroading in Africa when really it's just housewives driving to get their monthly botox.

It is what it is, just overkill for what people really need it for. It's like having snow chains on year round.
Old 01-16-15, 02:05 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Not for anything after owning an Audi for years, I learned to love all wheel drive, it is much more predictable on all road surfaces and weather. Instead of counter steering a rear wheel drive car in a fishtail, you just gently accelerate and all 4 wheels gain traction and bring the car in line. Rough road on exit and entrance ramps, as the car hops over bumps,4 wheels will always find traction somewhere. Just from pure performance, 4 is better than 2. Getting stuck on roads these days? They are spraying roads the day before a storm with a liquid brine. And roads are cleaned quickly. Even when we are out in Aspen, never have problems even with the occasional minivan rental. Wet, dry whatever, 4 is better than 2 if you have the choice.
Old 01-16-15, 02:06 PM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the GX awd system but I still miss how my old FJ Cruiser would drive in RWD mode, so much more fun in the rain, the GX has awesome traction in the slippery stuff though
Old 01-16-15, 09:32 PM
GXallday
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife bought it for herself before we were married, but thanks for your concern.
I'm not concerned, just curious how people can spend so much money and not even know what they're buying.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throwing the truck into 4wd