GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Battery 1 year old / giving issues 2004 GX

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-15, 07:10 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery 1 year old / giving issues 2004 GX

I had a Odessey battery installed 1 +1/2 years ago . -14 it's been giving me a grunt before it fires up , but after I take it out for a drive it will fire up just fire up again fine . . GX is in a garage at night .

I had these issues with a Toyota battery also , so the Dealer installed a Odessey battery , they are now saying the GX is older , with all the bells and whistles going upon firing up it will start a bit harder in the sub zero weather , they did test the battery and it was good .

Any one have any other suggests , maybe I need another new battery , by the way only 36,000 miles , had the timing belt , water pump , spark plugs etc replaces due to age of GX.

Have a 2006 tundra and no issues installed a Interstate battery in that truck .. go to go evert morning with sub zero temps.
Old 01-10-15, 09:03 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Get a block heater installed
Old 01-11-15, 04:07 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
Get a block heater installed
Or another interstate battery.
Old 01-12-15, 07:02 AM
GreatHim
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have a 2004 with only 36k? i think you have found your problem... you simply dont drive the vehicle enough. like the dealer said, it has a lot of electronics. those electronics require power even when the truck is not running. so if it sits for a period of time then yeah it will drain the battery. drive it at least twice a week for a good drive and you should be good, or just buy a good battery tender like a noco genius http://www.geniuschargers.com/?ADV=L...e70oyfnlYYcUcA and plug it in if you plan on letting it sit or you have a short commute -under 10mi. winter is especially hard on batteries, as the temps are colder, and days are shorter so you will be running things like the lights, defrost and heaters more...
Old 01-13-15, 06:05 AM
techrep
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tipler
I had a Odessey battery installed 1 +1/2 years ago . -14 it's been giving me a grunt before it fires up , but after I take it out for a drive it will fire up just fire up again fine . . GX is in a garage at night .

I had these issues with a Toyota battery also , so the Dealer installed a Odessey battery , they are now saying the GX is older , with all the bells and whistles going upon firing up it will start a bit harder in the sub zero weather , they did test the battery and it was good .

Any one have any other suggests , maybe I need another new battery , by the way only 36,000 miles , had the timing belt , water pump , spark plugs etc replaces due to age of GX.

Have a 2006 tundra and no issues installed a Interstate battery in that truck .. go to go evert morning with sub zero temps.
what is the CCA of your Battery... Cold Cranking Amps ?
Old 01-14-15, 10:55 AM
NR04
Rookie

Hook up your voltmeter and check your voltage to make sure the alternator is working properly. I purchased my 2006 with 60k miles in 2013 and within a month the alternator went out. Before it failed completely, my battery was very weak. I automatically assumed the battery was going dead and never thought to check the alternator because of the low miles. After installing a new battery, my alternator completely died soon after.
Old 01-16-15, 06:02 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

This is the issue , I had my GX for service , new timing belt so on because of age , they were going to keep over night they did all tests , said everything was fine , so I myself am thinking it's because I don't drive the GX enough ,I feel you guys might be right the alternator maybe the issue . Yep service sucks sometime at the dealer , might need to have local import check it out . I drove all week and it still does the hard start when it -35 below , guess the bells and whistles are going off also , not summer it runs excellent .
TIA
I have no way of checking the voltage myself . any help there ?
Old 01-16-15, 04:13 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can buy a very cheap voltmeter that plugs into your cigarette lighter from Amazon.com.
They have several types, and the least expensive are $5.99 (probably plus shipping).
Old 01-17-15, 05:18 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
i think you need to find a local shop who can load test the alternator.

-35F, hmmm, those temps can rob crank amps from any battery..... what battery do you have exactly?

another thing to have checked is this, measure the milli-amps coming off of the battery when vehicle is off and has been sitting for say 10min. maybe something in the system is drawing too much power when not running?
Battery I have Odessey battery ..
Dealership actually waited for the GX to go to sleep to see if anything was drawing power and nothing .
how that makes sense ,. So we know nothing is pulling or daring any power they said .

I'm still wandering if best to get another type of battery. it does fire up at the sub zero temps .

Can age become a issue ?

thanks
Old 01-19-15, 01:05 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

a engine block heater that plugs into 110 ac would solve your issue
Old 01-19-15, 07:25 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
a engine block heater that plugs into 110 ac would solve your issue
For -35F temps, I'd also want to consider a battery blanket. Some of them are heated as well.

Chip H.
Old 01-19-15, 03:39 PM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
if its a sealed battery only a bat load test (at -30F) can tell you the battery health at that temp. if its an open battery then you can have specific gravity tested.....

a gel or glass mat battery may be better at those cold temps.... i just not as knowledgeable on bats for frigid temps..... do some goole searching and read up on battery types, and even contact say Optima battery company to get their feedback, etc.

my hypothesis is though, -35F is reducing CCA enough for you to notice it. if thats the case then only two ways to fix it, 1) get a battery with much higher CCA rating, or 2) change battery type.

i am not sure if they make warming sweater for car batteries where they draw a few watts of power from the battery just to keep it warm. pros and cons to warming sweaters though..... it uses bat energy, etc..... but a few watts overnight should not be an issue for most batteries..... perhaps a manual switch to turn it on, or some sort of electronic temp control switch....
Going to play this out seeing the weather is warming up nothing in the sub zero marks, I'll seek a higher CCA rating , and a different battery brand , thanks Taco Kid
Old 01-19-15, 03:45 PM
Tipler
Pit Crew

going to seek a new battery /brand .

Odessey Battery just doesn't do the job !!
Local service next oil change / Import for the alternator test .

Optima battery is next ..

Thanks