GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

WeatherTech cargo mat

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 01:58 PM
GXallday
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WeatherTech cargo mat

Installed WeatherTech DigitalFit floor mats and their cargo mat. Decided to follow some of the other members here and installed it under the tie down points and the trip pieces for the 3rd row floor mounts. Looks great, my wife said it looks like it's a factory installed cargo mat.

Old 01-05-15, 02:32 PM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I need to order me one of those, that looks excellent!
Old 01-05-15, 03:11 PM
Dashome
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! Just got one for Christmas and haven't cut the holes yet. I'm glad I waited since that looks amazing, good job! Any tips or special tools needed, or just a sharp blade, patience, and common sense?
Old 01-05-15, 04:04 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

That looks great! Mine's on order now. Hope that lip at the back doesn't interfere with loading/unloading.
Old 01-06-15, 12:12 AM
GXallday
Driver

Originally Posted by Dashome
Thanks! Just got one for Christmas and haven't cut the holes yet. I'm glad I waited since that looks amazing, good job! Any tips or special tools needed, or just a sharp blade, patience, and common sense?
No it's fairly easy. I just unbolted all the stuff on the floor, laid down the mat, then used the tie downs and plastic trim pieces as templates where to cut. The areas that need to be cut out are not textured, so it's obvious. Just cut it about a 1/4" smaller on each side, just big enough for the tie down to snuggly fit inside the hole. It's pretty much just common sense stuff. And I used a sharp hunting knife, but any good utility knife should work fine.

Originally Posted by NTH
That looks great! Mine's on order now. Hope that lip at the back doesn't interfere with loading/unloading.
I was looking at that lip too. And if it does get in my way, I think I'll just cut it off and sand it smooth. But I'll wait and see. It's still a little warped because it comes in a box rolled up, so I want to see what it will look like all nice and flat.
Old 01-06-15, 03:33 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Looks great, but defeats the purpose/ability to take it out and hose it off easily
Old 01-06-15, 06:43 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Looks great, but defeats the purpose/ability to take it out and hose it off easily
While this is true, I found it shifted around without the holes being cut and the trim pieces holding it in place. Every time my dog would jump in it would shift and get piled up at the back of the 2nd row seats, and wouldn't cover the carpet at the back of the trunk area. Staying in place is much, much better. It doesn't get muddy really in my use, and a damp cloth will clean off any really dirty stuff, or you could spend the 5 min and pull it out, hose it off, and put it back in.

I really wish our GX had the grey interior, looks great!
Old 01-06-15, 08:51 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
While this is true, I found it shifted around without the holes being cut and the trim pieces holding it in place. Every time my dog would jump in it would shift and get piled up at the back of the 2nd row seats, and wouldn't cover the carpet at the back of the trunk area. Staying in place is much, much better. It doesn't get muddy really in my use, and a damp cloth will clean off any really dirty stuff, or you could spend the 5 min and pull it out, hose it off, and put it back in.

I really wish our GX had the grey interior, looks great!
got it, i guess i have an upright bike rack sitting back there held down with tie downs so it does not move anyway.
Old 01-08-15, 01:40 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks great!

WeatherTech Cargo Liners are awesome! They fit great, and help prevent stuff from sliding around.

Get free shipping within the contiguous USA for a limited time....

Steve
Old 01-09-15, 02:23 AM
GXallday
Driver

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
my rear mat i leave on top, makes for easy take-out to clean.... looks good.
I didn't care much about being able to take it out often, since I don't ever get it dirty. The only reason I bought it, was because the original cargo carpet piece was completely destroyed. The bottom rubber side was all crumbling and the black crap was all over the back of my truck. So I threw it out and got the WeatherTech digital fit mats for the front, back and cargo. All matching, all looking good, and protecting the floors everywhere.
Old 01-20-15, 09:39 AM
Lumbergh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have the WeatherTech cargo mat.

Excellent piece of kit. Can't believe I haven't used them in prior vehicles.

Will use them in all future SUVs that I own.

I can't say I would cut mine up, seems to defeat the purpose of carpet protection, but looks nice all the same.

Well worth the money and protects the rear cargo area very well from lifes adventures.
Old 01-21-15, 07:13 AM
GXallday
Driver

Originally Posted by Lumbergh
I can't say I would cut mine up, seems to defeat the purpose of carpet protection, but looks nice all the same.
Well, if you don't cut the mat in the marked areas, how would you use the 3rd row seat or tie-downs? You gotta cut it anyways to avoid taking it completely out just to use the seats. So I decided to install it under the plastic trim so it looks nice and doesn't shift around. Also as I mentioned before, I never put anything dirty back there. I had to replace the damaged carpet and didn't want to buy another carpet piece.
Old 01-21-15, 09:00 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Lumbergh
I also have the WeatherTech cargo mat.

Excellent piece of kit. Can't believe I haven't used them in prior vehicles.

Will use them in all future SUVs that I own.

Well worth the money and protects the rear cargo area very well from lifes adventures.

I had the same reaction the first time I installed them in a vehicle.

Steve
Old 02-03-15, 01:06 PM
Fluid
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GXallday
I didn't care much about being able to take it out often, since I don't ever get it dirty. The only reason I bought it, was because the original cargo carpet piece was completely destroyed. The bottom rubber side was all crumbling and the black crap was all over the back of my truck. So I threw it out and got the WeatherTech digital fit mats for the front, back and cargo. All matching, all looking good, and protecting the floors everywhere.
You have an all-terrain SUV and never get it dirty in the trunk area ... ? Please share your magic
Old 02-04-15, 01:03 AM
GXallday
Driver

Originally Posted by Fluid
You have an all-terrain SUV and never get it dirty in the trunk area ... ? Please share your magic
For me this is my family hauler. I don't off road in my GX. However is does rain a lot in Portland, so I like that it catches the water dripping off a wet stroller, etc. I don't ever have a need to haul something muddy or very dirty back there.

Quick Reply: WeatherTech cargo mat