GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Morimoto HID's installed.

Old 12-29-14, 11:38 AM
GXallday
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morimoto HID's installed.

Finally got around to posting a few pics of the HID's I installed a couple weeks ago. These are Morimoto 5000K 35W HID with hd relays. I installed two sets one for low beams and one for fogs. I wanted a pure white color, and I'm very happy with results. They're very bright and just clean white, no blue at all. Bought the kits from retrofit source on Black Friday, $200 for both kits including shipping.

Old 12-29-14, 12:16 PM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

looks great, looks like the stock projectors have a decent cut off as well
Old 12-29-14, 12:40 PM
GXallday
Driver

Originally Posted by 470SNC
looks great, looks like the stock projectors have a decent cut off as well
Yeah they're not bad. I looked into replacing them with newer higher quality projectors, but I can't justify the costs right now. Maybe some day.
Old 12-29-14, 01:09 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

thats cheap for two kits...
Old 12-29-14, 01:50 PM
GXallday
Driver

Originally Posted by kamlung
thats cheap for two kits...
Yeah I saved $120 on these. And I'm very happy with quality. Ballasts are built very well (pretty much bulletproof), so are the amps, relays, wiring, etc. And these draw power straight from battery terminal, as opposed to the xenonsupply kit I have on my wife's Prius which uses the factory harness power source. These are way better and brighter, although both Morimoto and XS are 5000K 35W kits.
Old 12-29-14, 08:25 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Looks great. I also just installed my Morimoto 4300 kit. They're about 2 years old. However light beam on the road doesn't seem very bright. Maybe I just need to lower the beam a bit as they are a little high. If lowering doesn't work, I may buy their newly released upgraded bulbs.
Old 12-29-14, 09:29 PM
GXallday
Driver

Originally Posted by NTH
Looks great. I also just installed my Morimoto 4300 kit. They're about 2 years old. However light beam on the road doesn't seem very bright. Maybe I just need to lower the beam a bit as they are a little high. If lowering doesn't work, I may buy their newly released upgraded bulbs.
I went with just the standard 35W bulbs not the XB35 (wire on bottom) bulbs. You could also try going with a 55W kit
Old 12-30-14, 08:46 AM
Joebootx
Driver School Candidate

Looks nice. Im as on their website, anyone know what the warning cancelled/power relay options are for? Do you need them?
Thanks
Old 12-30-14, 09:02 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Originally Posted by GXallday
Yeah I saved $120 on these. And I'm very happy with quality. Ballasts are built very well (pretty much bulletproof), so are the amps, relays, wiring, etc. And these draw power straight from battery terminal, as opposed to the xenonsupply kit I have on my wife's Prius which uses the factory harness power source. These are way better and brighter, although both Morimoto and XS are 5000K 35W kits.
on the 35w kit, you don't need to run a dedicated 12v and relay from the battery... you can get away with just tapping the OEM harness for power... for 55w kits, you should run a relay... but yea its better to overengineer to future proof any issues...

lets see if I can catch another sale... I just need a low beam kit...
Old 12-30-14, 09:02 AM
GXallday
Driver

Originally Posted by Joebootx
Looks nice. Im as on their website, anyone know what the warning cancelled/power relay options are for? Do you need them?
Thanks
From what I understand, the canbus option is mostly for German cars to prevent warning lights. I went with the hd relay option and everything works great. Installed the same exact kits on my sister's 07 Camry, also no issues.
Old 12-30-14, 09:03 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joebootx
Thanks
u don't need the warning canceller... relay is optional for your piece of mind...
Old 12-30-14, 09:16 AM
GXallday
Driver

on the 35w kit, you don't need to run a dedicated 12v and relay from the battery... you can get away with just tapping the OEM harness for power... for 55w kits, you should run a relay... but yea its better to overengineer to future proof any issues...

lets see if I can catch another sale... I just need a low beam kit...
About a year ago I installed a xenonsupply.com 35W kit on my sister's car, and after only a few weeks they started shutting down after being on for 5-10 mins. What I learned is that those ballasts ran at 6 amps each, and factory harness can't keep up with that. My wife's Prius also uses factory harness powered XS kits, but they are "premium slim ballasts" which draw only 4 amps, and about 18 months now, no issues. Just not nearly as bright as Morimoto kits. Now that I replaced the bad kits on my sister's Camry with Morimoto H11 kits, no issues at all. So I like the fact that it runs straight from battery. Even if it's an overkill for most cars.
Old 12-30-14, 09:25 AM
GXallday
Driver

u don't need the warning canceller... relay is optional for your piece of mind...
It's not really optional. TRS sells these kits with either the HD relay or Canbus. And if I'm gonna spend $150 for a high quality HID kit, I wanna make sure that it's properly powered from the battery.
Old 12-30-14, 11:07 AM
kamlung
Instructor

i see what you mean now... just went to TRS site... its amazing how far these aftermarket kits have come... i remember in 2002 when i first bought the Hella kits with massive ballasts with a separate igniter... they would draw so many amps i was melting the headlight harness where i was tapping for switched power... they were also a bear to mount and hide nicely... these new slim and digital kits barely draw anything and are so sleek...
Old 12-30-14, 06:50 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Did you use the relay harness for the fogs too? Been thinking about going HID on my fogs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Morimoto HID's installed.