GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

'05 Navigation Slow To Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-14, 11:06 PM
sesser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Navigation Slow To Update

Just picked up an '05 with the Nav/ML. Everything seems to work, but the navigation screen is painfully slow to update while driving. Sometimes I will be several blocks (1/4 - 1/2 mile) before it catches up with where I actually am. This doesn't seem normal, but figured I'd ask here... is this normal?

TIA
Old 12-28-14, 12:02 AM
UpStarr
Pit Crew

Move the passenger seat and remove the disc. Make sure it's clean
Old 12-29-14, 11:55 AM
sesser
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UpStarr
Move the passenger seat and remove the disc. Make sure it's clean
I looked at the disc. Looks clean enough (no scratches or anything). I gave a little wipe on my shirt before putting it back in, but haven't driven it since posting so can't say if it helped or not.

Anyone ever try one of those CD/DVD lens cleaner products in the nav unit?
Old 12-31-14, 11:33 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Ever thought it may be your location? How do other vehicles gps load up compare to your gx? I'm in a metro area so everything loads up fairly fast.
Old 01-01-15, 08:31 AM
sesser
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NTH
Ever thought it may be your location? How do other vehicles gps load up compare to your gx? I'm in a metro area so everything loads up fairly fast.
I had an Alpine unit in another car and it was fine. My phone works fine. I live in Portland so I don't think it's location. It loads fine, it's just when driving the screen jumps blocks at a time. Last night while driving it actually put me a few blocks AHEAD of where I was.
Old 01-01-15, 08:48 AM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Looking around this site, I found references to similar symptoms if the Vehicle Speed Sensor input is disconnected from the Nav unit.

Why would it be disconnected? Because people disconnect that wire so they can input Nav destinations while moving.

Perhaps a previous owner mucked around with the wiring. If I were you, I would search this forum for the write-up on hacking the Nav system (see next post), and then investigate your system to see if it has been modded. Sometimes the mod involves a switch, so look around your instrument panel for an aftermarket switch. If you can input a destination while driving, you probably found the culprit.

Last edited by LexRex; 01-01-15 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-01-15, 09:00 AM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-pictures.html
Old 01-01-15, 01:36 PM
sesser
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexRex
Perhaps a previous owner mucked around with the wiring. If I were you, I would search this forum for the write-up on hacking the Nav system (see next post), and then investigate your system to see if it has been modded. Sometimes the mod involves a switch, so look around your instrument panel for an aftermarket switch. If you can input a destination while driving, you probably found the culprit.
I have seen references to this "mod" and I suspect that's the case. I noticed a small toggle switch on the fuse panel cover under the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

I will have to do some digging then. But, if disabling the speed sensor affects the accuracy of the nav, wouldn't flipping the switch off improve the accuracy?

Thanks
Old 01-01-15, 02:40 PM
sesser
Driver School Candidate

So, I confirmed the switch on the dash controls the ability to interact with the navigation while moving AND turning the switch off makes the nav screen accurate and perform as expected. Thanks for the input.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-15, 02:51 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Gotta love Previous owner mods! Glad you found what the issue was.

My first truck was a 1978 Landcruiser FJ40, and the prior owner for some reason removed the ash tray from the dashboard and had the hole filled with a steel plate, which was then painted to match the rest of the dash. It actually was a clean install, and it looked totally factory... but... why the ash tray??? Where am i supposed to keep change!? ha ha!
Old 01-02-15, 07:49 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by sesser
I have seen references to this "mod" and I suspect that's the case. I noticed a small toggle switch on the fuse panel cover under the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

I will have to do some digging then. But, if disabling the speed sensor affects the accuracy of the nav, wouldn't flipping the switch off improve the accuracy?

Thanks

I did the nav switch hack myself and installed the switch in the open covered switch plate next to the second start switch. My truck is a 2004 and I have a button under steering wheel under dash is the tire toggle switch [ to activate my second set of tires when I swap out for winter and then back to summer ] Are you sure the switch that you say you found maybe is the tire switch or depending on year of truck tire switch could be in glove box. ] If you have the tire switch it would be labeled what its for. If no label then it could be the nav hack. When I say nav hack I mean that I can activate and play DVD on front screen while driving . It overrides the parking brake turn off
of the screen when moving and emergency brake is off.
Old 01-02-15, 10:28 AM
sesser
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrblister
I did the nav switch hack myself and installed the switch in the open covered switch plate next to the second start switch. My truck is a 2004 and I have a button under steering wheel under dash is the tire toggle switch [ to activate my second set of tires when I swap out for winter and then back to summer ] Are you sure the switch that you say you found maybe is the tire switch or depending on year of truck tire switch could be in glove box. ] If you have the tire switch it would be labeled what its for. If no label then it could be the nav hack. When I say nav hack I mean that I can activate and play DVD on front screen while driving . It overrides the parking brake turn off
of the screen when moving and emergency brake is off.
It's the nav hack. When I flip the switch while driving, the icons on the DEST screen go from grayed out to normal. Plus, when it's off, the screen updates faster. I haven't looked for the 2nd Set button. It's not on the dash anywhere that I've noticed.
Old 01-02-15, 11:31 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

It's down by your right knee. Probably wouldn't be safe to be feeling around for it as you drive...

Chip H.