GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

04 ML+Nav Audio Solutions

Old 12-25-14, 12:29 PM
bfizz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 ML+Nav Audio Solutions

Hey All,

New user here. I own a 2004 GX 470 with Mark Lev audio, navigation, and rear entertainment with 130k miles. I've tried to determine what the best course of action would be to take with respect to aftermarket audio solutions.

I currently use the tape adapter, but would love something through USB/BT. After browsing the message board it appears GROM is particularly popular. I've been in to Car Toys & Best Buy and had no great solutions offered aside from the Parrot unit, which doesn't seem ideal.

For those of you who have been in my shoes:
1. What product did you end up installing?
2. Did you install any type of cell phone mount?

Thanks in advanced for your responses, I look forward to contributing to the community moving forward!
Old 12-26-14, 10:31 AM
NR04
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the more popular models is Vais Tech. I have MY2006 and it uses the MD Changer mode. I think yours might not have the MD but you can still use the CD mode. It shows the Playlist and Songs on the screen and the steering controls work well with the unit. There is also GTA Car Kits but it doesn't show the track names on the screen.

The Vais Tech also sells a Satellite radio for around $300. I take my truck off-roading where radio reception is not available. I'm tempted to purchase their satellite adapter as well.

The best method, in my opinion, is to rip out the terrible stock unit and replace it with latest aftermarket Nav/Audi units. However, if you have the stock Nav system, this is virtually impossible because you lose the climate control settings.

Check YouTube for how each one of these iPOD adapters work and choose the one that best suits your need.
Old 12-26-14, 01:26 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bfizz
Hey All,

New user here. I own a 2004 GX 470 with Mark Lev audio, navigation, and rear entertainment with 130k miles. I've tried to determine what the best course of action would be to take with respect to aftermarket audio solutions.

I currently use the tape adapter, but would love something through USB/BT. After browsing the message board it appears GROM is particularly popular. I've been in to Car Toys & Best Buy and had no great solutions offered aside from the Parrot unit, which doesn't seem ideal.

For those of you who have been in my shoes:
1. What product did you end up installing?
2. Did you install any type of cell phone mount?

Thanks in advanced for your responses, I look forward to contributing to the community moving forward!

I have same model and year Truck . I just installed the vais sl3-b blue tooth interface and it goes in in MD emulationm The sound quality is CD quality unit is easy to install yourself. Cost is around 215.00 shipped . You can stream music from I phone or android You also can listen to internet radio app like pandora and other ones . I am really enjoying it. Also you do not loose your cd changer or any of your audio or dvd system . Everything works

You control the bluetooth sound VIA the audio screen on the navigation, You will have a new screen that says MD [ Mult Disk ]
Old 12-29-14, 08:52 AM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe with the ML, you can not go aftermarket double din head unit since the HVAC/heat controls are tied in, best bet is a plug in the back option like Vaistech or other equal
Old 12-29-14, 09:05 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I have the Vaistech USB module that shows up as a MD changer, and it's great. Only thing is you have to remember to delete the multi-media folder that it places there if you update the files on your memory stick.

Their Bluetooth one is for streaming audio, and doesn't have a microphone for placing hand-free calls. Which would be really nice to have, since Austin will have a "can't hold your phone" law in January.

Chip H.