GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

how long did it take?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-03, 03:09 PM
tiny t
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how long did it take?

I ordered my GX a couple days ago from the dealer in Charleston, SC. He told me it would take at least 60 days to get what I want - is this unusual for you guys (and gals)?

I have never waited for a car before like that.

I am pretty excited. I own a lexus GS300 and a buddy of mine got the first GX in our area a couple months ago. My lease runs out in a few months so the timing should be about right to move into the new one.

I was wondering if most people ordered theirs or just drove one off the lot.

thanx.
Old 03-08-03, 03:12 AM
Squiggy
Rookie

Default couple of months

in Atlanta.

I selected two acceptable colors on 12-1-2002, and took delivery 1-23-2003.
Since they really didn't start shipping until mid december and there were
25 names on the list ahead of me, I thought that was pretty quick.

We also wanted fully loaded. If you are strict about options, it may take longer.

I wouldn't call this process "ordering".
Old 03-08-03, 04:41 AM
lexusnc
Driver

I had the same experience; I plunked down a $1,000.00 deposit on January 10th, and took delivery on February 21st. According to the dealer I was lucky because I specified that I would only take a Black with Ivory interior, which he said was not in as much demand as some other color combos. I also wanted mine “full build” which meant loaded and the dealer also said this would increase my chances of getting one with in 30 to 45 days. I must say that I am quite happy I did (even though I had to pay full sticker price). I was able to get a very, very good price on my trade in (a BMW X-5) which I think was the dealer’s way of coming down from the sticker on the GX without setting a precedent for other people who were on the waiting list and had paid full price. Congratulations on your selection of the GX and I hope yours comes in soon!!!
Old 03-08-03, 04:58 AM
tiny t
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks....

I actually drove a 4.4 X5 for a day and thought seriously about going in that direction. There were some questionable rattles and the ride was somewhat uncomfortable around the city - but that thing is a rocket. Reading up on it seems like alot of problems with that truck - did you experience any significant problems?

I also drove the infinit FX45. I really enjoyed driving that thing, alot of fun. But we already have a sports car which is what that thing really is so I wanted the more "luxurious" lexus. Plus, Lexus service is unbelievable.

I'm looking for a black one as well so maybe I'll get it sooner rather than later.

Thanks.
Old 03-08-03, 05:27 AM
lexusnc
Driver

As far as the X5 goes, your right the thing it a rocket! It’s very sporty and I think looks great. Having said that the reliability is ABISMAL!!!! It was in the shop 11 times in 18 months, 5 times with the same problem, a defective cooling fan, which meant my A/C went out 5 times during the summer, ouch! Also in the last months of last year the thing began to have significant creaks and rattles inside. I think this was because poorly designed interior panels were beginning to work loose and I could foresee many years of listening to the car sound like a bucket of chains. As far as I am concerned Lexus is the anti BMW, great luxury with good performance and stellar reliability and service. The BMW also made very poor use of space and was just able to fit 4 adults so long as those in the front did not have long legs. All in all I am pleased as punch to own yet another Lexus!!! You would have been disappointed in the long run with the X5 since you have grown accustomed to Lexus quality with you GS. Let us know how it goes!!