GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Please help the GX n00b, I will be in the market very soon.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-14, 11:17 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Please help the GX n00b, I will be in the market very soon.

greetings all...

I am in the market for a SUV for my Mrs... we have a baby on the way and decided on an SUV to lug all the stuff around... originally, I was going to try and pick up a lease return MDX which are currently averaging ~$30k ish... but my '01 GS430 w/ 105k mi has been problem free for me, so I started pricing out Lexus models... (i want the option of a 7 seater) the GX's in my price range seem to be just a few years older and maybe some higher miles...

reading through some of the threads, it seems like a cracked dash is more of a concern vs a higher mileage model... is there anything else I should be on the lookout for? I know the GX is a much more beefier truck when compared to a crossover like MDX so I will prob take my wife to the local dealership to test drive one and make sure she is comfortable pulling it and out of a parking spot... how are the sight lines in the truck? is the rear view camera a must?

Thanks in advance... I hope to join the GX family soon...
Old 12-03-14, 12:13 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

To be honest, you don't want to get in a CPO Acura of any model. Those things' transmission only last to 150-200k miles tops. You can check in their forums, and you'll see more than a handful of people already replacing their tranny's at that young age. I just got our 08 GX a couple months ago, with 63k miles for $31k. Runs like new, interior's like new, engine's like new, haven't even done anything to it yet other than wash and drive it. I'd recommend finding 08-09 cause those has been updated already with tiny details and has no known issues. Sight lines are fine, very visible all around, I even forget to look into the back up camera unless I need to do a very tight park. Good luck, very plenty of fish in the sea so just take your time finding a well maintained one for less problems or maintenance issues.
Old 12-04-14, 07:11 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

With the MDX, one thing to watch out for is cylinder #4 on the J35 engine. For whatever reason, the spark plug for that cylinder tends to get loose over time, resulting in head damage. Prevention is as simple as re-torquing the plugs at 50k miles or so (midway between replacement).

Otherwise, they're a fine vehicle. You want one with the SH-AWD. You'll have higher maintenance costs (fluid changes on the rear diff), but that's no different than servicing the differentials on a GX (and likely cheaper, since there's only one of them on the MDX)

Don't go off-road in one. It's a CUV, not an SUV. So driving on the beach is ok (if you air-down the tires), driving on dirt/gravel roads is ok, but anything more hardcore is out.

Looks like you can expect 18mpg or so:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/acura/mdx

Chip H.
Old 12-05-14, 04:47 AM
kamlung
Instructor

I normally ok with Honda/Acura products... I am a moderator on Acurazine and have two other Acuras in the family in which I do the maintenance myself... one caveat is that my Acuras are older and were the pre-Ohio built models, so they were always reliable to me... I will need something that has AWD capability because I live in the NJ snow belt...

I came over to Lexus a few years ago after my childhood dream car came into my price range, and my wife likes the comfort of Lexy, over the more sportier ride of the Acuras, thus why I am here...

I guess where I am looking for some reassurance is that the I think the GX is just a different animal and more of a true SUV... it isn't a realistic CUV competitor to the MDX like maybe the RX is... so are there things I need to go in expecting other than the crappy gas mileage? i.e. the GX seems much taller, which means I may not be able to pull it into a standard garage? does it use truck platform wheels/tires? etc?

Thanks again guys... I've been checking autotrader and cars.com the last few days and found a few I may go look at this weekend...
Old 12-05-14, 06:28 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Right, the RX is more of a direct competitor to the MDX.

The GX is taller, no question - I have no problems with the garage at home or at work (signed for 6'5" and I clear it by 3" or more)

The MDX & RX have suspensions that are way more sporty than the GX. The ride in them is firm. The GX is more compliant, which is good for off-road, as well as long-distance highway driving.

Chip H.
Old 12-05-14, 10:51 AM
kamlung
Instructor

going to see an '09 with 70k mi... they are asking $26k... i'm going to see if i can get them down to $24k... there are a few '08s in my are with the same mileage in the mid $24s...
Old 12-05-14, 09:16 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Bought the truck. It was way too clean to pass up. Pic tomorrow.
Old 12-05-14, 11:14 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Let me off the topic just a moment, i'm thinking of pulling trigger on an used Acura ZDX but i don't where to ask because i've never owned Honda or Acura before. By the way, a lot of you guys here know well about Honda/Acura, can you guys give me some advices about the ZDX because i heard Acura's transmission go bad too early.
Old 12-05-14, 11:29 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the purchase - anxious to see pics AND your upgrade plans. The '09 is a rare bird.
Old 12-06-14, 08:21 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

LOL same here man. The first time I saw our GX, it was way too clean to pass up, made a good deal with the previous owner right there and there. Got the truck out of his hands the next day. Black on grey interior, rear headrest entertainment with never been used bluetooth headphones(previous owner never knew it came with it until he was gathering all the parts for the sale), third row seats were never installed in the truck until it was for sale, navigation, back-up camera, pretty much all the bells and whistles from 2008. Only thing missing was the tow hitch, because the previous owner always thought he had one hiding behind the cover, and he never needed to use it so he never checked. Good luck man, you're definitely gonna enjoy it.
Old 12-06-14, 09:25 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Congrats on the purchase - anxious to see pics AND your upgrade plans. The '09 is a rare bird.
the rain has not stopped since last night.. so i snapped a quick photo from the garage... this car was basically brand new.... it was female owned single owner... the back seats looked like they were never sat in... it was always dealer serviced at lexus and i got to see all the records... i only got $500 off asking price, but it was well worth it... they will provide free oil changes and tire rotations for the first year and as long as i keep up the scheduled maintenance, they warranty the drivetrain for as long as i own it...

the car needs new wiper blades and upgrade plans will eventually be some HIDs... driving home in the rain 2 hrs from Philly last night, the visibility was crappy...

does anyone have a front license plate solution? like a side mount bracket? the car never required a front plate in PA so the front bumper is brand new and i don't want to drill holes in it...

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
LOL same here man. The first time I saw our GX, it was way too clean to pass up, made a good deal with the previous owner right there and there. Got the truck out of his hands the next day. Black on grey interior, rear headrest entertainment with never been used bluetooth headphones(previous owner never knew it came with it until he was gathering all the parts for the sale), third row seats were never installed in the truck until it was for sale, navigation, back-up camera, pretty much all the bells and whistles from 2008. Only thing missing was the tow hitch, because the previous owner always thought he had one hiding behind the cover, and he never needed to use it so he never checked. Good luck man, you're definitely gonna enjoy it.
here was the weird part, before i came to see the truck, it showed in the carfax that a tow hitch was installed back in 2011... when i looked under the car, no tow hitch... so figured they pulled it off the car... it was the only thing missing from this car... so it wasn't a deal breaker to me... i'll put one on in the summer to tow the trailer...

Originally Posted by shyguyF
Let me off the topic just a moment, i'm thinking of pulling trigger on an used Acura ZDX but i don't where to ask because i've never owned Honda or Acura before. By the way, a lot of you guys here know well about Honda/Acura, can you guys give me some advices about the ZDX because i heard Acura's transmission go bad too early.
i'd recommend you going over to the ZDX forums at acurazine and finding out from other owners if possible... the glass tranny issues started with the 2nd gen TLs ('99-'03) I never had issues with my 1st gen TL (98) or 3rd gen TL ('07)... but i always use synthetic ATF Amsoil and keep on top of the intervals, even with synthetic...

the motors are always solid and will easily last... the J series makes great power and is acura's workhorse... the ZDX uses the J37 series that is shared in the TL/RL/& MDX models... i just never liked the styling of the ZDX...
Old 12-07-14, 05:16 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks again Kamlung ! Congrats on the new ride !
Thank for showing me to ZDX forum, it seems ZDX have no big issues so far. My family is Toyota and Lexus fans so i want to try a different route (never being with German cars) to go with Honda or Acura, i need one more 4 seats and Awd SUV so Acura is the best choice. With SH AWD system between 2007-2012 RDX and ZDX i choose ZDX and i also like this style.